The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Unofficial Postfest
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Unofficial Postfest

Will You Participate in an Unofficial Postfest?
    Yes
    66%
     66%  [ 10 ]
    No
    6%
     6%  [ 1 ]
    Depends (in otherwords, don't count on it)
    26%
     26%  [ 4 ]
    Total Votes : 15

Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 am  
    Unofficial Postfest

Wolfsire wrote:
    I suggest another postfest and soon.

abysslin wrote:
    If you, as a Canonfire user, are enjoying the current pace of Canonfire activity, i am gonna need a little bit more help. ...

Some people have been tossing around ideas like those of GVD and Wolfsire above. I think those ideas are excellent, but I would like to point out that neither idea takes a Canonfire staff member to get the ball rolling. Interact with one another and get down to business!...

If sufficient response we can discuss topics. GVD wanted to do something of CoGH, and that sounds fine, but right now options are open.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:09 am  

I'll toss out another possibility - the Viscounty of Salinmoor ie Saltmarsh - specifcally the city of Seaton.

Salinmoor has three classic adventures set therein (Saltmarsh series) and in DMG II Saltmarsh is given a full writeup. Seaton is, however, the seat of the Viscounty and virtually nothing is known of it. Everyone would have an absolutely free hand to imagine whatever they wanted.

Perhaps, this is important - having a free hand - where you don't need to own this or that resource and you do not need to worry about contradicting or running afoul of any "canon." Seaton has that in spades.

I'll admit at this point to an ulterior motive as I'm discussing a campaign in Salinmoor and having help fleshing out Seaton would be useful. Happy

Another thought, an "unofficial" postfest might be conducted in two ways that immediately pop to mind.

First, there is the traditional model - everybody writes on something on or near the agreed upon topic by an agreed upon date.

Second, we might divy up a topic before hand. Say we do a city. Person A might announce they want to do a major temple. Person B might also want to do a temple and person C too. That's 3 temples. Person D might then decide to avoid doing another temple and do a business as might persons E, F and G. Person H might take a stab at the local sheriff or city guard. Person I might opt for a wizard's guild, while person J takes on the thieves guild. And so on. The idea would be to get a broader or more complete coverage than if everyone just went ahead without knowledge of what everyone else was doing.

Just some thoughts.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:25 am  

For reference, see generally - http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2658

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:23 pm  

GVDs idea reminded me of Wesley's Map of Seaton

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:25 pm  

Anway, I will be watching this thread closely. Lemme know if you guys need any help from my end.

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:01 pm  

Not even up for a full day and already there are 5 people willing to commit. I did not want to say it initially, but 5 was the figure I had in mind for a minimum. So I say, lets do it.

In re the two different methods mentioned by GVD, I could not do the second, but perhaps somewhere in the middle, which is to say I'll take input and consider suggestions. I just don't want to commit to something in particular, but rather like to let the muse drag me along.

Well, GVD would you rather Seaton or CoGH?

Any others any one else has in mind. Maybe we should let this threat go on for about a week and then do another poll for the topic? Just a though; something to keep in mind. I'm up for Seaton too.

Actually, I vaguely recall a little about descriptions I read about things taking place in Seaton a while ago on the net. That and the map and Sam's work on the settlment of the area provide some good starting places in addition to those mentioned by GVD.

On the issue of Sam's work, I'll take it that he will object if he does not want anyone citing to his work.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:35 am  

Wolfsire wrote:
    Not even up for a full day and already there are 5 people willing to commit. I did not want to say it initially, but 5 was the figure I had in mind for a minimum. So I say, lets do it. . . .

Any others any one else has in mind. Maybe we should let this threat go on for about a week and then do another poll for the topic?

Definitely, let's wait.

IMV, 12 is the bare minimum for a postfest. Fewer than that and I'm not sure what you'd call it.

Wolfsire wrote:
    Actually, I vaguely recall a little about descriptions I read about things taking place in Seaton a while ago on the net. That and the map and Sam's work on the settlment of the area provide some good starting places in addition to those mentioned by GVD.

On the issue of Sam's work, I'll take it that he will object if he does not want anyone citing to his work.

In other news - huh? As long as someone is not plagarizing Sam, I see no problem. I think someone can _cite_ whatever they want as an influence; its just polite. Its not like you can own an idea like X settling Y in year Z anyway; only the specific expression of the idea in the author's words is protected. I can write about a boy wizard in a world uncomprehending of magic who goes to a school of magic and whose parents are dead having been killed by an evil wizard who is now after the boy - and Ms. Rowling can't do squat so long as my specific _expression_ of those ideas does not copy hers and I don't name the protagonist Harry, the school Hogwarts or the evil wizard Voldemort. I am unaware if CF has set a higher standard for fan created material, particularly if all we are talking about is a citation. If we are getting this nitpicky we've got larger troubles than how many are needed for a postfest. CF's utility is wrapped up in exchanging ideas; if we can't do anything with those ideas, there is IMO not much point to the whole exercise. In other words - huh?

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:06 am  

I would be more than willing to offer a segment for a postfest revolving around Seaton or the CoGH, though I think Seaton would be the better choice. The CoGH has been detailed so many times over that it's almost impossible to sort through the 'ashes' so to speak. Wink

I look forward to participating in either (or both) that is scheduled.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:50 am  

GVDammerung wrote:
    In other words - huh?

There was not a final statement in this thread indicating a change of mind, where he asked that all of his articles be removed. They are still on-line however: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2513&sid=4c11668065555d5f6a237b06486746dd

If he does not want citations to his work, because he does not want them up, I'll avoid it as a matter of courtesy, excepting where his ideas are already incorporated into my posted articles. Then I'll cite to my work, and only his indirectly.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:00 am  

MichaelSandar wrote:
    I would be more than willing to offer a segment for a postfest revolving around Seaton or the CoGH, though I think Seaton would be the better choice. The CoGH has been detailed so many times over that it's almost impossible to sort through the 'ashes' so to speak. Wink

I look forward to participating in either (or both) that is scheduled.

I think I would prefer Seaton to CoGH. Actually, I think I would prefer Salinmoor to Seaton, although as the request was made, I would want to try to not stray too far from Seaton. But if someone wants to do something just relying on U1-3, that would be good. Salinmoor would present a broader range of topics, although still fairly narrowly focused, with research and creative options that also cover a broad spectrum. Burle anyone?

I've got a map of the area I've been meaning to clean up and post anyway.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:33 pm  

Would those of you voting "Yes" please post to this topic, you're interests. We have a number of "Yes" votes that does not match the number of users appearing in this thread.

Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:15 pm  

I prefer Seaton also.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:21 pm  

Okay. I'm counting the following as interested in Seaton -

GVD
    Wolfsire
    MichaelSander
    Smillian_31

Am I missing anybody?

This also doesn't exactly line up with Wolfsire's poll numbers so some folks need to identify themselves as interested. We also need some more interest!

I guess a timeframe should also come into the conversation at some point. Thoughts?

Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:41 pm  

I will write something for it. Wink

Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:29 am  

This will be my first attempt here but count me in as well.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:45 pm  

Six to possibly thirteen Smile

Good for you Vascant. It is fun once you get into it.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:50 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    Six to possibly thirteen Smile

Good for you Vascant. It is fun once you get into it.

Okay. We've got:

GVD
    Wolfsire
    MichaelSander
    Smillian_31
    Abysslin
    Vascant

A good group, now how about somemore folks stepforward?

Wolfsire or anybody else, what sounds like a good time frame? September? October? Its August in two days.

Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:02 pm  

While I agree August would perhaps be a bit rushed, September works well for me.

I have already figured out what I am writing and doing the outline this evening.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:01 pm  

Yeah, how about Sept. 15? That'll give us a month and a half.

So what are the final parameters, anything related to Seaton? It's kind of a looser format than previously, but it would make for an interesting field of submissions.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:14 am  

How does this look for a new forum announcement? 2005 summer announcement used as template. Feel free to make suggestions. I wanted a scope a little beyond Seaton and I think this is reasonable.

GVD, can I ask you to be responsible for cross posting this in other forums: Dragonfoot, WotC, anywhere else you can think of.

If this is good, I'll start a new thread. If staff wants to put it at the top of the page in a separate area, that can hurt -- nudge, nudge. Wink

Subject: Its ON! Unofficial Postfest: Seaton and Salinmoor

Greyhawkers, with the blessings of Boccob and CanonFire! Administration, here we are announcing the first Unofficial Postfest. By that we mean one that has been initiated by members.

The topic is Seaton and Salinmoor.

Plenty has been written about the town of Saltmarsh and the nearby sections of the Hool Marshes, but very little is known about Viscounty’s capitol of Seaton or other areas of Salinmoor, such as the town of Burle.

Due: Sunday, September 15, 2007

This August and the first half of September, we ask writers to flesh out unknown aspects of Salinmoor, with particular, although not exclusive emphasis on the town of Seaton. The goal of this topic is to provide the noticeably absent details for one of the hottest adventuring spots in the Flanaess. What are the economics of the area? What are the shops and who are the NPCs? Why are the lowland marshes and upland moors so doggone salty? These are just a few of the questions your might answer. Your article may take any direction, drawing on existing works, such as Wesley's Map of Seaton ( http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=512 ), or devising something entirely on your own, for which there is plenty of opportunity.

Statistics are welcome for any edition, but creative effort is better spent on the elements that make your subject interesting and uniquely Greyhawk.

The Guidelines
    There are no restrictions to your imagination, there are a few rules that govern content and format.
    - The subject must have a World of Greyhawk theme.
    - You are not restricted to canon, you may choose a subject of your own design.
    - The subject should be about something in Salinmoor, or related thereto, preferably with a connection to the town of Seaton. (If you feel like writing about something else, submit that too, you don't need a postfest to contribute!)
    - Please try to keep articles to one or two pages long (600 - 1200 words), though longer submissions will be accepted.
    - You may submit more than one entry.
    - Entries should be submitted to Canonfire! by September 15, 2007.

Submitting Your Article Follow these easy steps:
    1. Visit the Canonfire! Web site at www.canonfire.com.
    2. Create a site account, or if you already have one, just log in.
    3. Click the "Submit an Article" link at the top of the page, on the left, just below the banner.
    4. Submit your article. Please include the initials "UPF" for Unofficial Postfest in the title.
    5. E-mail any extra information, artwork, or requests to editors@canonfire.com.

Unlike a traditional Postfest, we are asking that staff NOT post all the articles on a separate page, but rather release them on the front page, one every few days/week to help keep up the pace of fresh releases.

Have fun, and ldrop a note in this forum if we can answer questions or help in any other way.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:43 pm  

Wolfsire wrote:
    How does this look for a new forum announcement? 2005 summer announcement used as template. Feel free to make suggestions. I wanted a scope a little beyond Seaton and I think this is reasonable.

GVD, can I ask you to be responsible for cross posting this in other forums: Dragonfoot, WotC, anywhere else you can think of.

Sounds good. I have no issue with the expanded topic. I have also posted the announcement that was drafted to Wizards website and ENWorld. Unfortunately, I do not have a Dragonsfoot account. I think Chatdemon does and I know Ghul does, DMPrata has one too I believe. They would be good bets for Dragonsfoot.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:15 pm  

GVD, as you have already posted it in other forums, I went ahead and did it here. I have a DragonFoot account, so I posted it there too.

Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:07 pm  

Quote:

I actually posted around the Greyhawk online presence once awhile back, for ahhh postfest 2? With fully good intentions and well meaning to spread the word, thinking it was good press, I received pretty much nothing besides flames. The Greyhawk online presence is so divided and spiteful, it pretty much did 0 good. However, Mayhaps now (a few years later) you guys will receive a better response than I.

Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:40 am  

Quote:
    I received pretty much nothing besides flames

Such pettiness is incomprehensible. Well, the effort was not much and flames can be ignored. If we get only half a handful of articles, I'll call it a success.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: