Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - "My Name is Meyanok and I Didn't Agree to Sh*t!!!"
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    "My Name is Meyanok and I Didn't Agree to Sh*t!!!"
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:03 pm  
    "My Name is Meyanok and I Didn't Agree to Sh*t!!!"

So, the common deities of the Flanaess, plus the Suel and the Oeridian and presumably the Baklunish deities all got together and came up with this "non-interference" pact governing Oerth. I'll even toss in the demi-human deities that are worshipped in the Flanaess, although I think that is even more problematic than the Baklunish deities agreeing.

But what about the Touv deities? Are they bound buy it? Who says? Since when? I rather think they are not because I see no evidence or rationale that they would be.

I'd say the same about the Olman deities. Heck. They are not even "gods" in the same way the deities of the Flanaess are gods, although still technically divine. Where did Pelor get their number?

If I'm on the right track here, the Flanaess deities are at something of a disadvantage. If old Meyanok jumps the pond and starts throwing his weight around in Ahlissa, Pelor is going to do what? Interfere too? Then here comes Nerull etc. and the nonintervention pact is scrap.

If the pact only applies within the confines of the Flanaess, Pelor could act more forcefully in Hepmonaland but a lot of good that does the folks back home in Ahlissa.

As more of Oerth is opened up with more and more new deities, it seems the divine non-intervention pact is going to become more and more problematic. Or else we will see the advent of a divine UN.

Anybody ever deal with this in their campaign?

Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:16 pm  

Never came up in my campaign. I just ignore the Non-Interference Pact.

The ways of the gods are mysterious to mortals. If a god interferes in the campaign, it's due to something the PCs aren't aware of.

Cheers!

Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:54 pm  

Deities play a very large role in my campaign. In a nut shell this is what's happening:

The gods always prefered mortals (humans, elves, dwarves, etc.) worship one particular god (like a cleric would) rather than worhsip this one here, that one there, depending upon the individuals needs. For example a farmer might worship the gods of agriculture and weather, and perhaps Fharlanghn when it was time to make a long journey, so essentially they worship several gods and ignore others.

The gods want what they call true faith, which is dedication to one particular god of that person's choosing.

As a result of centuries of misplaced faith, they have decreed judgments upon the mortals of the Flanaess. Each of the gods gives their own judgment as they deem appropriate according to their sphere of influence. For example Hextor may send a ravaging well organized army to decimate the land, Pholtus may take away the sun for awhile, Telchur may send blizzards to areas not normally affected by such weather, etc.

The PCs possess the abilty to change all of this by reaching out to the mortals and preaching to them about "True Worship". If the PCs can reach enough people in time, things will change for the better, if not, the gods have agreed to draw lots for Oerik, each getting their own area to start anew with their religion. Hextor is slated to get the Flanaess.

So it's kind of a race against time as well as trying to influence mortals to view and worship the gods in a different manner.

This is my campaign, it wouldn't work nor interest everyone. I wanted to give Greyhawk a specific ordeal or flavor much like Dragonlance achieved. All of the modules and adventures I run tend to somehow fit into this overall plotline or as a thread leading back to it.

So the pact in my world has been broken, not because of deities, but because of mortals lack of worship to them. They still only have their followers act out for them, but others (such as those dealing with nature) take a more specific role, such as creating tidal waves, earthquakes, famine, etc.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:59 pm  

I want a recap on where this pact came from. I know there was a pact or alliance of all the gods to take down big T, but off the top of my head is the pact inferred because Cuthbert is allowed to trounce Iuz once in a while? Or was it something more? This is contradicted in original 1E canon when half the deities all visit oerth in disguise in one fashion or another. Also, wouldn't newer deities be outside it too? Vecna...Mayaheine...Kyuss....etc.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:41 pm  

Time for a little heresy Smile

First, I have my WoG gods very involved with the affairs of mortals. Each group and individual meddles as it sees fit; the main rule is no direct confrontation between the Gods themselves on Oerth.

Second, since there is so much overlap in the Gods' areas of influence, I have it (secretly) that there are really only a handful of Gods, and each of these various entities are reflections and expressions of them by and for the various peoples of the Flanaess. In fact, there many only be one divine entity that all others a merely a facet of...

From the players' perspective, however, there are many different gods and differing factions and branches, etc.

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:37 pm  

I have never had to deal with anything like this in my campaign because, as the DM, I control it. Wink

The DM decides where and when deities become involved in a campaign world. Non-interference is something that is simply understood among the gods. The details of this understanding need not be enumerated or understood. For me it is a non-issue. Either you involve the gods, along the lines of deus ex machina or whatever, or you don't.

Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:24 am  

GV Dammerung:

Are you looking for information on the pact itself? Are you considering a campaign in which the gods are more or less involved as a result of the pact? I'm not completely sure what your looking for in your post.

So far as I know, there is no details concerning the pact so they are pretty much left up to the DM. You mention the Touv deities and what kind of involvement they would have if any. Are you considering how the common deities would react to Touv involvement? They could be brought into the affairs of men by the instigating of one the evil common gods, that could take things a number of directions, especially if your looking to break the pact.

If you want to keep the pact in tact and pretty much leave it alone, then I would suggest everyone stay out of it.

So what exactly would you like to see happen in your campaign regarding the gods and the pact?

Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:11 am  

mortellan wrote:
    I want a recap on where this pact came from. I know there was a pact or alliance of all the gods to take down big T, but off the top of my head is the pact inferred because Cuthbert is allowed to trounce Iuz once in a while? Or was it something more? This is contradicted in original 1E canon when half the deities all visit oerth in disguise in one fashion or another. Also, wouldn't newer deities be outside it too? Vecna...Mayaheine...Kyuss....etc.

Here's a pretty good recap http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1726
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:16 pm  
    Re: "My Name is Meyanok and I Didn't Agree to Sh*t!!!&a

GVDammerung wrote:
    So, the common deities of the Flanaess, plus the Suel and the Oeridian and presumably the Baklunish deities all got together and came up with this "non-interference" pact governing Oerth. I'll even toss in the demi-human deities that are worshipped in the Flanaess, although I think that is even more problematic than the Baklunish deities agreeing.

But what about the Touv deities? Are they bound buy it? Who says? Since when? I rather think they are not because I see no evidence or rationale that they would be.

<sigh>
    Quote:
    From the LGG pg. 164:

'Finally, no god above demigod level may enter the Prime Material Plane of Oerth without the consensus of a majority of the gods of Oerth. A few exceptions to this are, Ehlonna, Fharlaghn, Obad-Hai and Oldimarra (who choose the Prime Material Plane as their native realm rather than one of the outer planes), Beory (who may actually be the Oerth itself) and St. Cuthbert (who was allowed to come to Oerth to fight Iuz on more than one occasion, though this last action might carry a price to be paid in the future).'

Unless you can explain why the Touv aren't gods of Oerth, I see no reason for them not to be bound by the agreement. Certain Touv gods may be exempt from it, as Ehlonna et al are, but there's nothing in that quote that limits it to gods of the Flanaess.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:15 pm  

I don't believe the Non Interference Pact would include Aspects they are in several source books like the Minatures Handbook. Their power is scaled down quite a bit basically a few random thoughts or very minor manifestation via a Planar Ally or other summoning spell. Level 7 spell to Summon Aspect of Bahamut from Races of Dragon is a level 7 spell and that Aspect is more powerful than the Minature's Handbook. The Aspect of Asmodeus is more powerful in Tyrants of the 9 Hells than the MHB.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: