JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - MerricB's articles
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    MerricB's articles
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:01 pm  
    MerricB's articles

This is a thread to discuss any or all of MerricB's Canonfire articles.

Recent articles...
    County of Ulek
    * Updates on the Fhoi Myore Incursion - 592 CY

Introduction to Greyhawk
    * A Short Introduction to the World to Greyhawk, part 2

Most feedback would be welcome. :)

Cheers!

Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:12 pm  

I must say, these are very well-written. Several of my players have mentioned that they find this sort of synoptic writing very helpful. Most of them simply don't have the time to study the setting in depth.

I wonder if you would be willing to compose more synoptic pieces similar to your "Short Introduction" series? Synopses relating to more specific areas and events would also be helpful. Since the idea of advancing Greyhawk a few centuries into the future is currently a hot topic, such pieces could easily provide the historical framework for the "new Greyhawk" when and if such a publication is ever produced.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:06 pm  

The next of the "Introduction" series I intend to write will be on the Gods... sometime soon, I hope. :)

There are a few major events that would be worth covering as well - thanks for reminding me about that possibility.

Cheers!

Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:51 am  

Thoroughly enjoyed reading the articles. Sometimes you are so caught up in the small details of your own campaign that you forget the big picture. The short history helped to refocus my mind on what has gone before and, as bubbagump said, is a perfect starting point for any player without the time to plunge into a pile of supplements.

Looking forward to more.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:15 pm  

Latest article is up:

Madness beneath the Flanaess

The idea behind this article is ultimately derived from the fun tricks described in the original D&D booklets and in the Greyhawk supplement. Old-school Greyhawk involves dungeons with fun tricks, so why not share a few that I've used in the last couple of years?

It also draws upon the idea that Greyhawk should be a place you adventure in, and anything that makes that easier and more enjoyable will likely be appreciated.

So, I hope you like the article!

It'll be some time until my next article, as that's the last in the queue at present. (Assuming I haven't forgotten about one...) I'll try to get together the Introduction to the Gods of Greyhawk in the next few days, and you'll see that sometime in the future.

Cheers,
    Merric

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:11 pm  

I really liked the Room of Animals in Madness beneath the Flanaess. That's pretty brilliant. I may have to use that somewhere.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:41 pm  

I definitely liked the Madness Beneath the Flanaess article. I've never had much trouble coming up with plots and such, but I've always sucked at coming up with little details such as interesting rooms and traps. I used to have to wait for month after month for Dragon magazine to come out with an article like that, or else steal an idea from some other source. Thanks for posting something so useful.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: