JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Directing Oligarchy Promotions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Directing Oligarchy Promotions
    Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:37 pm  
    Directing Oligarchy Promotions

Building off the thread 'Lord Mayor Election' I now turn to other hypothetical issues of government. Replacing some departing Oligarchs.

The Directing Oligarchy represent various interests in Greyhawk City. Their number varies, usually from 12-18 at most. Departing Oligarchs do not have to be replaced so the composition of the Directors depends on political circumstances. It is 598CY, Dernan Nathane has just replaced retiring Lord Mayor Nerof Gasgal by an election among the D.O. Following this election Constable Derider Fanshen exercises her option to retire from the Watch and become a public defender in the Courts. And lastly Patriarch Jerome Kasinskaia of Rao has retired and moved to Mitrik leaving a vacant spot. With three seats open, who do YOU THINK shall possibly fill them if anybody at all? Below are some NPC reccomendations from various canon sources.

Constable's chair Derider Fanshen hadn't named her successor yet but I have found a few possible candidates for this highest office in the Watch:

1. Captain Nellisir Avanson, Artisian's Quarter [LG hm Ftr6] Age unknown. This laid back but charismatic officer runs a relatively crime free Quarter. In reality he has gone head to head with the Thieves Guild over its protection racket in his quarter. His alignment would make him a desireable successor to Derider.

2. Sir Garvin Ambus, GM of the Nightwatchmen [LG hm F13 Cha 16] Age 80. Ex-militiaman. A popular figure among the commonfolk, he has contacts with powerful clerics, the Guild of Wizardry, the Guild of Jewelers and the Merchant-Trader Union. He is a moral man devoted to keeping the city safe, yet another choice candidate for Derider despite his age.

3. Etin Derecs, Warden of the Prison [LE hm F13 Int 18] Age unknown. A brilliant former Militia officer who has been warden since 585CY. His claim to fame so far has been no escapes from the prison since his tenure. He might be ambitious enough to try and gain control of the entire Watch.

Nerof's Chair Nerof was not only on the D.O. because he was Assistant Thieves Guildmaster but because he is the independantly wealthy owner of the Wheel of Gold Gambling House. Thus this leaves many possibilities to fill his spot both thievely and business-wise.
    Below are a couple notable thieves in a position to move up.

1. Pavel Alektrion, Master Thief of Garden Quarter [N hm R11 Int 16, Cha 15] Age 46, Pavel is a flamboyant, independantly wealthy ex-adventurer in public. In secret he has quietly been Master Thief of the Garden Quarter for almost two decades. His public popularity and wealth would make him a logical choice for Assistant GM of Thieves if not Nerof's seat as well.

2. Thurman Dietrien, Master Thief of the Thieves Quarter [N 1/2em R11 Int 16, Cha 16] Age unknown. Thurman is a loyal supporter of Org Nenshen and has been effectively in charge of the busy Thieves' Quarter since 583CY.

Patriarch Jerome's Chair His departure would leave a vacancy among the clerics, down to 3 for the first time since 582CY when the D.O. only was represented by 2 clerics. Much like Nerof's spot, his replacement is by no means a guarantee and depending on circumstances it could be filled by a non-clerical Oligarch. Below are a couple clerics that may try and get a voice on the D.O.

1. High Matriarch Sarana of Pelor [NG hf C15 Wis 18, Cha 15] Age 70. Sarana is a close friend of Derider Fanshen. She dislikes talking with the high and mighty but might be swayed to be an Oligarch as a way to help the poor.

2. High Priest Jaikor Dernier of Heironeous [LG hm F5/C10 Wis 16, Cha 16] Age unkown. Fought at Critwall for the Shield Lands and returned a hero but badly wounded, moving slowly now. This may lead him to seek a less physically demanding position where he can promote justice in the city.

Variable choices Here are a few other NPCs that to me seem like good possibilities to become Oligarchs in place of any of the three chairs above. Remember, the D.O. does not have to elect anyone new but given this will be Dernan Nathane's administration we have an even more ecomonically minded D.O. than before. If anyone has better ideas let em rip!

1. Goros Redpate, GM of Architects and Stonemasons [LN dm F3 Int 18] Age unknown. Goros says little but is highly observant. Is known for his efficient building security systems. If he became a Director the Guild could see a new renaissance in construction not seen since the rule of Zagig Yragerne.

2. Grendel Trinkwasser, GM of the Butcher's Guild [stats unknown] The Butcher's Guild is the oldest in the city and works closely with the M&TU. The Thieves Guild secretly has a stake in this Guild as well.

3. Ricard Damaris, owner of the Green Dragon Inn [N hm F8] He is a superior source of information with many contacts, and due to the success of his inn Ricard might be a high candidate from the Ostler's and Brewers Guild whose members own dozens of businesses across the city.
    Site Theocrat

Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:36 pm  
    RPGA Based?

Mort -
    Because you list that the year is CY 598 I am of course assuming that you are utilizing some RPGA resources. Because I am not an active RPGA member (besides my recent RPGA LG adventuring last weekend) I know little outside of nothing in terms of RPGA events.
    Thus, would you please reference where we can see the notice that our beloved mayor is/has retired? What about the names and descriptions of possible board replacements as well as the new mayor?

I do like that Sir G. Ambus is 80, and I do not think that this should be a problem for someone with close ties to both the churches and schools of magic - potion of longevity, spells and magical items of rejuvination and so forth should not be too dificult for someone with years of experience and likely shovelfulls of dirt on those that could make it happen (a la Ms. Clinton).
    I also like that there is a LE person - very ambitious and will likely take over the Watch if permitted. Seems to fit that style of alignment. As head of a prison, and with that disposition, it should be no suprise that the escapee population would be kept at a low percentage, and those that did fully escape would make little noise about escaping.
    As per usual, Mort you have brought up yet another discussion that will likely lead to wonderful articles.
    Although I'm not active in the RPGA I do use some of its materials, and like the idea that a new mayor is in town, Turosh Mak has much of the Wild Coast and the Domain of Greyhawk is or could be in flux. Makes my job easier when "taking" land away for the rebuilding power of Dyvers.
    Be Well. Be Powerful Well.
    Theocrat Issak

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:40 pm  
    Re: RPGA Based?

TheocratIssak wrote:
    Mort -
    Because you list that the year is CY 598 I am of course assuming that you are utilizing some RPGA resources. Because I am not an active RPGA member (besides my recent RPGA LG adventuring last weekend) I know little outside of nothing in terms of RPGA events.
    Thus, would you please reference where we can see the notice that our beloved mayor is/has retired? What about the names and descriptions of possible board replacements as well as the new mayor?

Well Theo, the 598CY was mainly chosen because like in my previous thread, it is the 100th anniversary of GH and I figured it far enough in the timeline to come up with a hypothetical retirement for Nerof (not taken from RPGA at all). I too never play Living GH so my sources are all whats on hand for most diehard GH fans. I reference:

City of Greyhawk (the Blue box)
    From the Ashes
    GH: The Adventure Begins
    Living GH Journal #1-5

Even the LGJ's weren't all that useful as they just elaborate on stuff already in the other three books. tAB and the blue box is what I used the most.

I agree that the Warden guy would make a sweet Constable. It would take the Thieves' rule of the Oligarchy to a new corruption level. In the end I suspect Derider will obviously choose a Good person, but that is still a voted on issue.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:35 pm  

I'm going to go with -

The Constables Chair - Sir Gavin Ambus. His position is superior to that of Etin Derecs, who could be seen to be supportive of Ambus and realistically hope to succeed him after a short period because of Ambus' age. With Ambus in the chiar, Derecs could position himself as his right hand and logical successor. Avanson being laid back I see as not a factor.

Nerof's Chair - I see this a a potential "surprise" candidate. I'm not taken with either of the noted candidates. Nerof leaves big shoes to fill. Maybe Damaris?

Patriarch Jerome's Chair - Again, I'm going to go "other." How about a secret, or even not so secret Nerullite? If thieves and assassins can sit on the DO why not an evil cleric? Surely, the evil folks of Greyhawk are a significant constituency. Better to have the camel on the inside ... out than on the outside ... in?

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:26 pm  

An evil cleric on the D.O. would have to be a VERY well kept secret on the scale of Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious from Star Wars. Half the Directors are either priests of decent religions or roguish oligarchs who greatly fear and even actively oppose evil cults. Even the Thieves Guild ousted an evil cleric of Kurell the god of thieves (Sharyn Messiander) from their ranks.

As for the promotions, I agree on Gavin. Nerof's chair not being filled by another Thieves Guildmember would in the long term set their bloc up for a decline. As for the priests' slot I think realistically they would let the slot go so the number of Directors goes to 17. Another religion in politics would be bad for GHC especially after they allowed the rabble rouser Ipzirel in.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:46 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    An evil cleric on the D.O. would have to be a VERY well kept secret on the scale of Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious from Star Wars. Half the Directors are either priests of decent religions or roguish oligarchs who greatly fear and even actively oppose evil cults. Even the Thieves Guild ousted an evil cleric of Kurell the god of thieves (Sharyn Messiander) from their ranks.

I don't disagree with any of this.

However, I think CoG is diminished to some degree by not being more tolerant of evil faiths, so long as they more or less mind their manners. Not being tolerant of evil to a greater degree makes CoG seem a bit goody-goody to me, and not really that "roguish" when you get right down to it.

I'll contrast CoG, in this respect with Lankhmar or the City State of the Invincible Overlord - both of which have or are RPG products.

Obviously, YMMV but if I were presented with the opportunity to add some evil to the DO, I would do so. There's a word for that - Balance. Wink

Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:31 pm  

Well put that way I like that idea, GVD. I suppose it would come down to which 'evil' religions are best behaved? Clearly Iuz and Vecna has too much history of conflict in the area and the cult of Nerull already has agents/ Hierarchs planted in the city. Incabulos is riskier yet.

I think Hextor's faith would be the best as it is already a religion that is accepted in the public eye for its lawfulness and an ability to get things done. All this would leave is a significant temple to be built somewhere to compete with the Sanctum of Heironeous (cause they would have to). Where Hextorians could insinuate themselves is in the 'defense angle' of the Oligarchy. Most of the city's martial religions seem more concerned with the just the city itself or the Iuz situation up north. All a Hextorian religion would need to do is flex some military muscle(maybe backed by aerdian money and local mercs) and help reverse the Orcish Empire's gains in the Wild Coast. Any victories credited to Hextor would boost his popularity with the citizens. From there it could only get uglier ;)
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:39 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    All a Hextorian religion would need to do is flex some military muscle(maybe backed by aerdian money and local mercs) and help reverse the Orcish Empire's gains in the Wild Coast. Any victories credited to Hextor would boost his popularity with the citizens. From there it could only get uglier ;)

That'd be something interesting to explore. Have the Hextorians, or another martial evil religion, pouring martial and magical power into the fight -- power that the CoG can't afford to put up. Major points for the Hextorians.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 pm  

GVDammerung wrote:
    However, I think CoG is diminished to some degree by not being more tolerant of evil faiths, so long as they more or less mind their manners. Not being tolerant of evil to a greater degree makes CoG seem a bit goody-goody to me, and not really that "roguish" when you get right down to it...

-Just self interest; even baddies trust good guys more than they trust other baddies!
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:20 pm  

Classic thread! In Living Greyhawk they had a storyline that involved Directors getting offed. I am not sure if any of them were replaced however. Anyone know how those results played out?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 am  

There is this 2008 article by Samwise at the Wizards Living Greyhawk pages. I talks about the advancement of the Oligarchy from it 591 CY to 598 CY. May be helpful to those interested in reordering the Directors.
    Kwint
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: