JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Lyzandred the Mad
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Lyzandred the Mad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:09 pm  
    Lyzandred the Mad

What alignment and level is the lich Lyzandred the Mad, please? I read about him in the Doomgrinder module, but it doesn't give any stats... also, is he up to no good like the typical lich (he's described as collecting Artifacts, supposedly to keep them out of the wrong hands), or is he benign as lichs go? - AnimeFan (P.S. I'm new here...)
    GreySage

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:34 pm  

He's a twentieth level wizard.

He's lawful neutral, and has the goal of improving the world by eliminating some of the stupider, greedier adventurers from it. As a youth, his village was destroyed by stupid greedy Suloise adventurer types, and this affected him deeply.

See his wiki entry.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:17 pm  

There is an Greyhawk module entitled Crypt of Lyzandred the Mad published by TSR in 1998. The module is a demi plane castle filled with traps of various sorts. The entrance is located in a cave found within the Abbor Alz Mountains. I have yet to use the adventure but my impression is that it is almost completely traps and puzzles. I really don't know how much fighting there is. The module also gives some fairly detailed background on the lich. The module serves levels 5-7 (approximate) I couldn't find the actual levels listed. It is the second part of a series, the first being the Star Cairns and the third being Doomgrinder. It appears to work as a stand alone rather well.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:43 pm  

I ran the Crypt, and I (at least) had a lot of fun with it. Lyzandred is indeed presented in all of his glory, and is an intriguing NPC. The module itself is trpas, puzzles, and other challenges, and yes there is fighting to be had. I highly recommend it; it is mutable, and adaptable to almost any level and style of play, and the ending allows for a campaign's worht of intrigue as the PCs now work for Lyzandred, ridding Oerth of some of the more dangerous magics and the fools who would use them. Unless your players are f@*w!t$... Laughing

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:54 am  

If you have a player or 2 who are easily annoyed or frustrated by puzzles and tricks don't go near the adventure. If they like that kind of thing then go for it. It really is that simple with this particular module.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 am  
    Lyzandred

Great! Thanks for the info...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:49 am  
    Where is his Tomb located?

Oops, I forgot to ask... where is Lysandred's Tomb located, approximately? Confused
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:31 am  

I forget exactly where, but it is in the Cairn Hills. Its on a demi-plane that is coterminous with the Prime, and is only accessible by those Lyzandred wants, AIR.

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:23 pm  

"Lyzandred" doesn't strike me as Baklunish, although it says he was from a Bakluni village, not the he was necessarily Baklunish himself...
    GreySage

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:31 pm  

Being born in a small Baklunish village probably makes him Baklunish at least culturally. Although he might conceivably have ancestors from elsewhere (though there's no evidence for this), it seems like it'd be hard for them to maintain a distinct cultural identity in a small town where everyone else is Baklunish. The fact that Lyzandred continues to dress in Baklunish style to this day supports this.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:57 pm  

When you're a mad lich, every one seems baklunish! (to paraphrase Frank Gallop, et al).
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: