Canonfire :: View topic - Return of the Ur-Flan
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop
    Return of the Ur-Flan
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:02 pm  
    Return of the Ur-Flan

Return of the Ur-Flan Part I

Return of the Ur-Flan Part II

I really enjoyed those articles by GVDammerung. I like the anti-god philosophy of the Ur-Flan depicted in there.

And I plan to use this background in my campaign. But as I play with the AD&D 1st edition rules, I am interested to somehow assimilate the Ur-Flan with the witch NPC class found in old Dragon Magazines.

As for the Red Necromancy, I think it is very close to witch magic. Don't we read in Dragon #20: "Just as Magic-Users manipulate the other-worldly forces, whereas Clerics worship those forces as gods, obtaining “divine aid,” so do Witches make sure of the forces of nature worshipped by Druids. Witches may be considered to bear the same relationship to Druids as a Magic-User towards a Cleric of his own alignment. The Witch uses her harmony with nature to increase her knowledge and power."

So, I may say that witch magic does not depend on gods but on nature or blood, or earth blood, (see the dolmen thing) and being related to druid, the Old Faith of the Flan, the witch could be the very Ur-Flan priest.

About "The Myth of Manalisha", Manalisha is a woman, she might be the real first witch.

What do you think of it?
    Master Greytalker

Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:42 pm  

This is one of my personal favorites Happy

I love how GVD gave a reasonable rationale for the Ur-Flan without simply turning them into the evil mindless monsters of pre-history.

The Ur-Flan within the article are frightening but they do have a viewpoint and a philosophy - A thoughtful group of adversaries and they just might be right Exclamation
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:59 am  

Crag wrote:
    A thoughtful group of adversaries and they just might be right Exclamation

But, they are right. Wink So, could they really be adversaries; I mean, the PC may begin to fight against them, and then they understand their philosophy, they would turn to fight for them.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:37 pm  

It all depends on whether you believe the Deities are parasites or divine beings advancing their agenda through the faithful.

If you believe in that agenda - One persons faith is anothers meaningless gibberish.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:00 pm  

Ah, to believe or not to believe, that is the question...

So, what about the Witch?
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Readers Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: