Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - My Introduction...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    My Introduction...
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:11 am  
    My Introduction...

I suppose I should post here and introduce myself.

I originally started in the RPG hobby with the advent of the original Blue Book sometime in the late 70's. Remember those funky colored dice? I still have 2 copies of the rulebook, both beaten to a shelf worn pulp. I never seemed to play as much as I wanted to ... most of my time was spent drawing dungeon maps and daydreaming about heroic quests. My exposure to Greyhawk followed soon after I moved to AD&D, sometime in the very early 80s. My first copy was the original folio set.

Throughout the 80s and into the late 90s I played off and on quite regularly, swapping DM duties off and on with whatever crowd of friends I had at the time (I loved playing, but, I always seemed to end up with the DM duties).

The very late 90s found me with a son, going back to school and underemployed. My wife was an avid gamer, perhaps a little too avid. While I was busy going to night school, she was busy online playing by post, and, well, getting a little too involved. Let's just say her actions kinda left me cold about RPGing for a long time. Embarassed Mad

Anyway ... I'm remarried and living 2000 miles away, now. I have custody of our son (and he has two brothers, now) and I'm satisfied life is OK again.

Reading about GG passing this week got me to dig it all that old material out and relive a lot of good times. I found a bunch of old Oerth Journals I printed out along with a lot of Greyhawk material I thought I had ebayed off long ago.

It all got me thinking about how much I loved Greyhawk, my first RPG world. So many stories waiting to be told. So many places waiting to be discovered.

I went on line, and found out to my surprise that OJ was still going strong, greyTALK was still alive (I was a member a long time ago) and a thriving Greyhawk fan base was still here.

By virtue of my hiatus, it seems I've skipped an entire generation of Greyhawk. A whole edition of AD&D. (I bought my ex a copy of the 3rd edition PHB our last Christmas together, it was the only 3rd edition material I ever bought as she left a few months after that). I don't think I'll be doing much, if any real playing. I live in SW TX about 300 miles from the nearest game store. Gamers are nonexistent. Sad

So, here I am. Still full of ideas and Greyhawk Dreams I ought to spill onto paper and get posted here. Happy

And some questions I can't seem to find answers too ...

1. What the heck is a "postfest"?
    2. Is there a comprehensive list of canonical material anywhere? Or at least some guidelines/definitions as to what is canon and what is not?

I look forward to getting to know you all.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:24 am  

Welcome aboard Eric!

Great to see that you have rediscovered Greyhawk and this place, and I’m sure you will find lots of interesting stuff, and with your experience I’m equally sure you will help us out too Smile

A postfest is a “festivity of posting” articles here on Canonfire.

What is Canon or not and listings, I’m not the right one to answer that so I’ll pass. It is outside my area of expertise.

//Anna
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:17 am  

Welcome, Eric.

Even without a regular game, there's loads to keep you interested here. I'm down to 2 regular players myself and finding the time to meet up is always a challenge as I live a good 90 miles away from them. Who knows, you may find a like minded soul near you perusing these pages right now.
    Anyway, you've come back at an intriguing time, what with 4e about to break. Interesting times, indeed. Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:18 pm  

Welcome to Canonfire!

There is a lot of stuff to dig through here- lots of great threads, lots of great articles, and lots of other great contributions of other kinds, from maps to heraldry(i.e. gamer pr0n). Happy

Postfest is an event, usually with a set topic like "Magic Items of Oerth" or "Spells of Greyhawk", where anybody who wants to can submit an entry. They are all collected together and posted as a group. Sometimes we have a vote for the best article, sometimes not, but we usually discuss all of the entries at the very least.

There is a really good article somewhere on Greyhawk products, what is considered to be canon, and what is considered to be apocrypha. I'll post a link when I remember it.

Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:17 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Welcome to Canonfire!

There is a lot of stuff to dig through here- lots of great threads, lots of great articles, and lots of other great contributions of other kinds, from maps to heraldry(i.e. gamer pr0n). Happy

If my Greyhawk heraldry is pr0n, why am I not rich? Cool

Dang it, I tried to produce a series Halfling's Gone Wild DVDs, but I got cooking the books and I am looking at a long stretch workin' in the Diamond Lake Mines. Damn Greyhawk thieves guild.

To the OP, you can find my heraldry here:
    WoG Heraldry Page
    I haven't been updating lately because of my class and work load (back in school).

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:24 pm  

Excuses, excuses. Get back to work, Bryan!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: