Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - 4e Monsters - Dwarven Nosepicker & Elven Butt Scratcher
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition
    4e Monsters - Dwarven Nosepicker & Elven Butt Scratcher
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 am  
    4e Monsters - Dwarven Nosepicker & Elven Butt Scratcher

Some brave soul has compiled a list of known 4e monsters here - http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/Monsters%20&%20More%20(4th%20Edition).pdf

A really strong trend emerges. Witness:

Dwarf - Warlord
    Elf - Archer
    Gnoll - Clawfighter, Demonic Scourge, Huntmaster, Marauder
    Goblin - Picador, Sharpshooter
    Hobgoblin - Archer, Warcaster, Soldier
    Human - Bandit, Mage, Berserker, Guard
    Kobold - Archer, Dragonshield, Skirmisher, Minion, Slinger, Wyrmpriest

Each of the more common races are being given multiple individual monster entries based upon function or activity.

The list above is only what has been released to this point and is thus partial. It takes no imagination to think that the 4e monster manuals might be filled with literally dozens of variations on each racial or monster theme.

For example, the above list sports six sorts of kobolds. While the dwarf and elf entries sport only one sort, it is easy enough to imagine a Dwarven Rock Fighter, Dwarven Mountain Ranger, Dwaven Shield Warrior, Dwarven Nosepicker etc. Or Elven Forest Friend, Elven Forest Runner, Elven Forest Ranger, Elven Butt Scratcher etc.

What a brilliant design move for 4e! Imagine how easy it will be to fill monster manuals! Just think of the money that will need to spend to keep up!

If you add another adjective, things can only get better - Red Dwarven Nosepicker! Green Elven Butt Scratcher. As opped to the black, white and puce versions.

Just amazing design.

Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:58 am  

GVD, you cynical old curmudgeon. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 pm  

Well they did say they are going to be publishing a new rulebook set evey year. Now admittedly the rules will be changing to accomodate whatever the theme/setting of the year is (forgoten realms, ebberon, etc), but that does mean a new monster manual everytime. Admittedly the first forgotten realms and ebberon monster manuals should be very full without stuffing, but I expect a few at least. Of course for me all that says is if I wait long enough, I can get a version of the PHB that doesn't necessarily include their new "core" world. I mean its cool and all, but c'mon! Its nothing compared to the likes of Greyhawk or Ebberon. (yes I like ebberon, sue me Cool )

From a business standpoint, their strategy is nothing short of brilliant. They finally solved the question of what to publish once you've got a strong setting and rulebook set. Not saying I like it, but hey, can't fault their economic strategy.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm  

Is your point that you wish every Kobold encountered to have exactly the same statistics?
    Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:51 pm  

If I didn't know GVD was talking about a Monster Manual I would've said that's the new lineup for their plastic minis. They are one in the same now if they weren't already (has never played DDM). I admire the simplicity they've brought back to stat blocks, but something about them just seems wrong to me. Only time will tell.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:23 am  

Well having looked at some of the monsters, the numbers don't always add up using the character generation rules. I guess this means that if you want to you can just make stuff up.

Freedom, terrible freedom... why do we need monster manuals at all if we can design our monsters around the role we want them to fill?

Come my little brownies... the Silverwood shall be yours once more... mwaah ha haah... cough.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:45 am  

PaulN6 wrote:
    Freedom, terrible freedom... why do we need monster manuals at all if we can design our monsters around the role we want them to fill?

I think the presentation of the game is being geared more toward people who can't or don't want to design their own monsters. Helluva thing for a game that's all about using your imagination.

PaulN6 wrote:
    Come my little brownies... the Silverwood shall be yours once more... mwaah ha haah... cough.

Dude, you're never going to take over the Silverwood with a bunch of junior Girl Scouts. Unless of course they're really evil junior Girl Scouts. Best get that cough looked at.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:39 pm  

Well, at least we now know why they will need to release a new version of each of the three core books each year. Laughing

smillan_31 wrote:
    Dude, you're never going to take over the Silverwood with a bunch of junior Girl Scouts. Unless of course they're really evil junior Girl Scouts. Best get that cough looked at.

Don't be too sure.

First, they sell you some cookies. Innocent enough, right? Well, it would be if they weren't laced with GHB!!! Shocked

Then you wake up spread-eagled between a couple of trees out in the woods who knows where, and you are surrounded by Brownies- each trying to decide which implement of their Swiss Army knives they want to try using on you first.

Do not mock the Brownies. Wink

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:24 am  

Yeah - it's not like in my day when you just left the brownies a saucer of milk and they'd fix your shoes. There's all those pesky fey labour laws now and gangs of brownies hang around on street corners getting tanked on on ambrosia. They never should have abolished lawful good if you ask me.

As for the cough - I need to wait and see where Cure Disease or Remove Disease or whatever falls within the ritual rules. Got no healing surges left for the day Embarassed
    Master Greytalker

Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:23 am  

So, what you're basically saying, is that the folks trying to wipe out Burt Reynolds and company in Deliverance, were actually Brownies? Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 4th Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: