Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New to GH, Abbor Alz locations help needed
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    New to GH, Abbor Alz locations help needed
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:47 pm  
    New to GH, Abbor Alz locations help needed

I'm getting ready to run a game set in GH, and it'll be the first time I've run in this setting. I plan to start the players in Hardby and run an adventure based on Star Cairns. I bought a used copy of the module and have been trying to piece together info about locations that are listed on the map on the inside cover. But I've run into some mysteries!

First off, there's a location on the map called Freyl Keep....and I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere in canon GH lore. It's not a showstopper, I can come up with something for it for my game easily enough, but it's got my inquisitive juices flowing. Am wondering if anyone can recall any canon Freyl Keep info?

Secondly, I notice that Azak-Zil and the Ruins of Zarak are on the SC map, located in the western wing of the Abbor-Alz. But, a "Greyhawk Mysterious Places" article (Greyhawk Adventures hardcover maybe?), Azak-Zil is described as on the "eastern wing of the Abbor Alz, between the Bright Desert and the Nesser River". I'm inclined to think that the SC map is wrong, but I'm wondering if there's any consensus of opinion about the canon on this?

Finally, in the LG Bright Desert Sourcebook, there's a brief description of a fortress of Ghazal which lies along Hardby Pass. Actually, I doubt my players will go that far toward the Bright Desert but you never know what players will decide to do Happy Can someone pls point me to a canon source for more info on Ghazal?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!
    Master Greytalker

Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:37 pm  
    Re: New to GH, Abbor Alz locations help needed

nematode wrote:
    Finally, in the LG Bright Desert Sourcebook, there's a brief description of a fortress of Ghazal which lies along Hardby Pass. Actually, I doubt my players will go that far toward the Bright Desert but you never know what players will decide to do Happy Can someone pls point me to a canon source for more info on Ghazal?

I can help you with this one. "Ghazal" is from DUNGEON® #30.
    CF Admin

Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:20 pm  
    Re: New to GH, Abbor Alz locations help needed

nematode wrote:
    I'm getting ready to run a game set in GH, and it'll be the first time I've run in this setting. I plan to start the players in Hardby and run an adventure based on Star Cairns.

You've chosen a great location, nematode: lots of adventuring options abound in and around the Abbor-Alz and Star Cairns. If you have a copy of Greyhawk: The Adventure Begins by Roger E. Moore, you'll find that it focuses on the extended Greyhawk area, including the Hardby region (as does The Slavers book IIRC).

nematode wrote:
    I bought a used copy of the module and have been trying to piece together info about locations that are listed on the map on the inside cover. But I've run into some mysteries!

That's what we're here for, to help out :D

nematode wrote:
    First off, there's a location on the map called Freyl Keep....and I haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere in canon GH lore. It's not a showstopper, I can come up with something for it for my game easily enough, but it's got my inquisitive juices flowing. Am wondering if anyone can recall any canon Freyl Keep info?

According to Zavoda's index, that's only mentioned in the inside cover to The Star Cairns:

Quote:
    Freyl Keep [CTL]
    TSC - IC

nematode wrote:
    Secondly, I notice that Azak-Zil and the Ruins of Zarak are on the SC map, located in the western wing of the Abbor-Alz. But, a "Greyhawk Mysterious Places" article (Greyhawk Adventures hardcover maybe?), Azak-Zil is described as on the "eastern wing of the Abbor Alz, between the Bright Desert and the Nesser River". I'm inclined to think that the SC map is wrong, but I'm wondering if there's any consensus of opinion about the canon on this?

I'd be more inclined to follow the SC map, since it's based on Moore's tAB map, which compiled a lot of diverse sources into one place.

nematode wrote:

As DMPrata said, it's in Dungeon Magazine #30, and (again, per Zavoda's index) that's the only reference to it (up through 2003 or so, when Zavoda stopped updating the index).

Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:09 pm  

nematode, I don't know if the you have the Dungeon Magazine which detailed Hardby extensively, but it is around. I dont remeber the number, but you should look for it. It was an excellent and enjoyable write up.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:59 am  

Thanks DMPrata grodog and Anced_Math for the information!

I bought the PDF of the Dungeon magazine issue on Hardby thru Paizo, so I now have plenty of info to work with on the town between that, SKR's Slavers, and FtA.

Since there's nothing on Freyl Keep, I'm going to transpose the blurb from Slavers for the town of High Pass and use it as the basis for Freyl Keep adventures. I've been giving thought to the "goings on" along Hardby Pass and that blurb seems like it will fit very nicely in the Pass, to my mind a better fit than the original, frankly.

On Ghazal, I doubt that I'm going to be able to get my hands on Dungeon #30, but I've been able to piece together a few small bits of info from a net search that should serve as a decent springboard for my own development of the locale, should the need arise.

Finally, I'm undecided what to do about Azak-Zil. I'm prepared to site it in the western Abbor-Alz, and kinda ignore it, for sanity's sake. Except that Star Cairns and Lyzandred will play a big part in my story arc, and I kinda can't ignore it; there's the matter of Selvor's comet.

So now what to do about a 300 year old comet. Yep, it's Greyhawk Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: