Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Castles and Crusades Greyhawk?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Castles and Crusades Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:25 am  
    Castles and Crusades Greyhawk?

Has anyone used the Castles and Crusades rules (published by Troll Lord Games) to run a Greyhawk campaign?
    If so, what are the pros and cons?
    I understand their system is for the most part a refinement of the 1e AD&D rules; how accurate of an assessment is this?
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:36 am  

Quote:
    I understand their system is for the most part a refinement of the 1e AD&D rules; how accurate of an assessment is this?
    I find it more closley related to a D20 game that attempts to capture the feel and style of 1e, rather then a "refinement of the 1e rules".

C&C seems to be a solid game system from my reading of the rules books, although I have not CKed C&C (in greyhawk of any place else)... so I am probably not the best judge of the system.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:13 pm  

C&C runs great. I have been running the system since it came out and haven't been displeased. The best part is it's compatability with earlier D&D and 3.5 D&D so you can almost use anything in it without much conversion. Also you may have noticed Gary had his Yggsburgh stiff printed for C&C and the folio especially drips with GH flavor.

The only con is that it takes awhile to get out of thinking D20 with the system and learning it for it's own game.

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:20 pm  

Oh and there are a lot of C&C players that use Greyhawk. I'll dig around the forums there and see if I can get others to come over and tell you more.

Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:49 am  

Hello,

I've been using C&C as a rules component of my Greyhawk 576 CY campaign ('83 boxed set almost exclusively) since 2005. By nature, I can't help but tinker with rules, so my game is also about 50% AD&D, as the unified mechanic of C&C is not completely to my tastes -- in some instances it works fine, but there are other instances, such as searching for secret doors, that I'd rather just roll a d6. The class options are nice, and in some cases an improvement (IMO) over AD&D.

Anyhow, I feel C&C is a nice rules set for GH, and in my Castle Zagyg campaign, the Free Town of Yggsburgh is placed at the confluence of the Ery and Neen, with several interesting palatine lords between Yggsburgh and GH City, and Yggsburgh and Hardby. My group is having a lot of fun, with adventures that have run from Saltmarsh, to GH City, to the Blemu Hills, to Furyondy.

Of course, right now my group is exploring the depths Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg, The Upper Works. :)

Best,
    --Jeff T.[/i]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:26 am  

I am currently running a C&C campaign set in Greyhawk, though we don't play as much as I would like Wink Anyways, using the C&C rule set I have not come across any problems at all. Matter of fact, I use the C&C rules completely as written for this game, but I also included a secondary skills system striaght out of 1E.

I think C&C captures the feel of the older editions of D&D perfectly when playing a Greyhawk campaign, though C&C has does have a certain d20 feel to it, only much better then 3E in every way.

-O

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:02 am  

The C&C rules fit Greyhawk like a gauntlet, and I have used them exclusively for all of my Greyhawk campaigns.

And with the late Mr. Gygax's projects with C&C -Yggsburgh, etc.- C&C really can be viewed as Greyhawk approved.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:19 am  

C&C RULEZ. GET IT HERE: www.trolllord.com
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:38 am  

A term that I noticed in C & C that I have not run across in any other rpg is the "Siege engine game mechanic"

What is the function of this aspect of the game rules?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:40 pm  

The SIEGE engine is the overlying mechanic for C&C. It is based on Prime abilities. When you generate a PC they get a certain number of prime scores. Say Strength and Constitution. The primes allow your base target number for a challenge to be 12 while a non-prime score has a base challenge of 18. These base numbers are adjusted by Challenge Levels (CL). So if you are doing something related to strength with a CL of 4 your target number would be 16. Also for class based abilities (Ranger skills, etc) you may add your level to the check. So you roll add your mod and level and use that number.

The beauty of this is it allows any PC to attempt any action up to and including skills that their class normally wouldn't allow. It's a really free system. Hope that helps.

Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:47 pm  

BTW I have a PDF of last year's Free RPG Day quick start rules. If you would like a copy PM me with your e-mail addy.

Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: