JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The First Campaigns according to WotC
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    The First Campaigns according to WotC
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:48 am  
    The First Campaigns according to WotC

This was found on a friend's blog, I do not know her original source for this infor:
    "And Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance were the first campaigns? Really? I *just* got schooled this year on paying attention to what went on before, and even *I* know that's going to surprise Dave Arneson. That smacks or corporate shilling at the worst (look at WotC's novel sales), and it stinks up 4e's game design."

That's right; the WotC-ians are apparently considering FR and DL the "first" campaigns, and ignoring Greyahwk, Blackmoor and El Raja Key.

Grrr...

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:40 pm  

cha-ching!

Yup, I smell a cover up...
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:48 pm  

Gargoyle,

I also read dungeon_grrrl's blog. She is referring to the revisionist history in the 4e Player's Handbook:

Quote:
    "In 1977, the rules were rewritten and repackaged into the DUNGEONS & DRAGONS Basic Set, and suddenly D&D was on its way to becoming a phenomenon. A year later, the first edition of ADVANCED DUNGEONS & DRAGONS was published in a series of high-quality hardcover books.
    Throughout the 1980s, the game experienced remarkable growth. Novels, a cartoon series, computer games, and the first campaign settings (FORGOTTEN REALMS and DRAGONLANCE) were released, and..."

This is wrong on so many levels. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are talking only about TSR/WotC published campaigns there is a notable campaign missing from that list... Greyhawk, which preceded both of those listed....

In Service,

Bryan Blumklotz
    AKA Saracenus

Last edited by Saracenus on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:22 am  

The good and the bad of this means that we won't be seeing a 4E Greyhawk... Confused

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 am  

I can't quite understand the Dragonlance reference as being one of the first, but for Forgotten Realms I may be able to understand. Ed Greenwood has said in the past that he invented the Forgotten Realms world in the late 1960s (1968 if memory serves right). Though this world was without a game system, Ed does say it has been around that long. I could conceivably take this from WOTCs point of view that it FR predates Greyhawk, but in a convoluted way.

Other then that, the statement in the 4E PHB is pretty much a lie IMO.

-O

Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:09 pm  

I cannot give WotC the benefit of the doubt. For one thing, if he thought of it in the late 60's, he would still have been in single digits in age. Unless he wrote out at least a rough draft of the campaign setting at that time, this does not count. Secondly, the quote from 4e mentions that these "first" campaign settings came out in the 1980s, so you cannot count these campaigns as dating any earlier in their argument.

Considering Greyhawk is basically the campaign that fleshed out the D&D rules up to AD&D levels, it is incredibly disrespectful of WotC towards Gary Gygax and the others who basically created the entire fantasy roleplaying genre upon which WotC now gains considerable revenue.

In no way do I mean any disrespect to Ed Greewood. Although FR is not my cup of tea, it is a viable campaign option.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: