JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Nolzur
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Nolzur
    Novice

Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:11 pm  
    Nolzur

I am doing an artcile on Nolzur and I want to be sure I'm not stepping on any posted items about him.
    Please send any data you may have on Nolzur to me directly.
    Leomund@aol.com

thanks
    Lenard Lakofka Happy

Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:23 am  

Master Leomund's article is now available on Dragonsfoot.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:18 am  
    Attention Moderator

Can a moderator please move this thread to the General Discussion folder? It's not really on topic for this folder. TIA
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:52 pm  

More people are noticing this new article from Len, so hopefully we'll see some discussion on it, whether it regards rules, background, or both. Cool

Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:09 am  

To call it an article is a bit much. It's only his 1E statblock with a few new items and spells and very few descriptive text.

I've been doning some research on Nolzur and found this short entry on Nolzur on wikipedia. The 4 listed sources for that entry are interesting:

Holian, Gary, and Rick Miller. "Treasures of Greyhawk: Magic of the Company of Seven." Dragon #359. Bellevue, WA: Paizo Publishing, 2007.

I didn't know Rick Miller has published in Dragon. Time to find issue 359... Can anyone tell me what Nolzur's Orb does ?
    GreySage

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:23 am  

Thanael wrote:

I've been doning some research on Nolzur and found this short entry on Nolzur on wikipedia. The 4 listed sources for that entry are interesting:

That's an excerpt from our own wiki. Were you not aware we had our own wiki? At this point, nearly all of the Greyhawk stuff you're going to find on Wikipedia will have at least some material that originated here (I'm not sure who's doing the copypasting, but it's only fair, as a lot of the Greyhawk wiki stuff has been in turn copypasted from Wikipedia). Anyway, our article on Nolzur is better than the Wikipedia one.

As for Len's, I'm glad there's relatively little background there. The stats and magic are perfectly usable, while the connection to Lendor is... odd. There's not much connection I can see between a paint-themed wizard and the god of tedium, unless you think that painting is really tedious. Lydia would have made much more sense.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 am  

Thanks Rip. I've just been googling and hit wikipedia first. I always forget to check the GH wiki. (I've added the footprints article to the bibliography there.)

As for the connection yeah it seems a little far fetched regarding the porfolios. Alignment-wise it would almost fit, except Nolzur has both chaotic and good tendencies. Does Nolzur as a quasdeity have any listed portfolio anywhere?

Also I noted that in Len's article he is a magic-user and not an illusionist.

Is Nolzur connected to the Prismatic spells ? Or the Robe of Many Colours? How would you represent him in 3E? Is there a paint-themed PrC anywhere?

Last edited by Thanael on Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:17 am  

Thanael wrote:

As for the connection yeah it seems a little far fetched regarding the porfolios. Alignment-wise it would almost fit, except Nolzur has both chaotic and good tendencies. Does Nolzur as a quasdeity have any listed portfolio anywhere?

Also I noted that in Len's article he is a magic-user and not an illusionist.

He's an illusionist according to Dragon #359. I adjusted your changes to distinguish between WotC/Paizo canon and Len's recent apocrypha.

Quote:
    Is Nolzur connected to the Prismatic spells ? Or the 2E Robe of Many Colours? How would you represent him in 3E? Is there a paint-themed PrC anywhere?

My version of Nolzur is somewhat darker. Rather than having him receive it from any god, I had him gain immortality using the Pigments of Longevity described in Dungeon #10, having developed it with Azurax Silverhawk. There's a chance of it giving permanent immortality; evidently it worked for Nolzur but not for Azurax.

I also made Nolzur the illegitimate father of Llemual, having him retreat into solitude in the Underdark instead of the other planes as other members of the Company of Seven had done.

I'm not aware of any painting-themed PrC, but making him an illusionist/thief with high alchemy skills seems fine. The other connections seem like strong possibilities.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:11 am  

Interesting. The pigments fit very well for Nolzur of course. I remember Azurax and his simulacra. Where did you set the adventure in Greyhawk ? (Was anything suggested?)
    GreySage

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:50 am  

Thanael wrote:
    Interesting. The pigments fit very well for Nolzur of course. I remember Azurax and his simulacra. Where did you set the adventure in Greyhawk ? (Was anything suggested?)

Nothing was suggested, but I put it in the Jotuns.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:28 pm  

It seems as if some text was inadvertently omitted from the article.

Just before the spells begin, a paragraph begins "civilized land on Oerth."

I can imagine that the beginning of that sentence reads something like "Nolzur has traveled in every..." but could we get the actual text, just in case something preceded that sentence?

Thanks,

Joe
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: