Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - im glad i play d&d!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    im glad i play d&d!
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:01 am  
    im glad i play d&d!

just something i would like to share with you guys :)

i play d&d (bd&d and 2ed) for some 15 years, i think. in this path, i've found myself doing lots of newbie actions as DM, like give potions with "healind 1d8+1" label, or "the orc have a sword +1 and 1.000 gp in his pocket" and so on.

when we change games, for 2ed, we loved all about being from a race and having a class. so thing went fine for years, and we started to use kits like bladesinger, dragonslayer and martial artist.

the thing is me and players all have love for martial arts, myself doing one for 11 years (and thats my profession-same to my rpg long time friend).

with "the complete ninjas handbook", we started to play with ninjas, monks, korean taekwondo guys, thai fighters (not the ones in star wars..ehehhe..lame jake) and so.

we started to just role, and stoped playing. things were wonderfull for some years. we played in "today's age", wih cars, buildings and so on, as the rules didnt matter much.

in one point, things started to get difficult, because as a DM, i couldnt play right the npc. why shouldnt a bandit shoot you with a gun, or run over with with a car?

role playing alone was starting to get boring.

then i got my own home, girlfriend, married.

time was short for other things, and we stopped playing.

a couple of months ago me and my old time rpg friend (we work together- im a kung fu teacher and he is a taekwondo teacher , and we share rent for a academy) got a "blanck spot" in our schedule, so we decide to play once a week, a hour and a half.
    this time, we got back to the roots (and thats one of the reasons im in canonfire): playing 2ed, with a twist of 1ed (as i was raised in 2ed, but now i can do some international buying- nobleknight anyone? ;)), medieval fantasy, greyhawk, no kits, maps, dungeons, orcs, gnolls, giants.

and the rules.

i realize that we love this game because of the rules. we could be playing CODA, GURPS or whaterver, since we just roleplayed, but we never give up our d&d.

playing the rules is so very fun, mixed with our role experience and a 18 years friendship.

and thats the game for me: a great system that works mixed with a lot of good memories, laughs and fun.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:40 pm  

That's great Rossik. Smile No matter what version I play I always had fun. I've said before, if you have a good GM (and you're not a total stick in the mud) you can use any game system and have a great time.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:34 am  

Yeah, I can relate.

I stopped playing a few years ago. I would occasionally go to Live action games from time to time but I just didn't have time anymore to do it. Things got bumpy for a while but eventually I was able to get back into it. I ran a Call of Cthulhu game that lasted a little less then a year and then a short lived Star Wars game but again, life caught up to me and I had to put it aside for a few years.

Eventually I would be able to start playing again, and have been for eight months now. I know that eventually life is going to catch up to me again and I'll have to put it aside for a while but I'll always come back.

No matter how much my girlfriend wants me to stop for good, I'll always come back.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: