ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Vecna / Iuz Modules
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Vecna / Iuz Modules
    Site Theocrat

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:39 am  
    Vecna / Iuz Modules

Hi all -
    Our DM kinda screwed us last night. We were running Forge of Fury, but I guess there's a Succubus. Being that I have no clue about that kinda thing, and the rest of the party is evil (I'm a TN Barb/Druid) and all failed their checks that would give any indication that she was a succubus we released her and went our merry way.
    Later as we were camping, the person that freed her and whom she kissed was put under her spell. She then proceeded to place the rest of us under her spell too.
    So the DM asked me what adventures I'd like to run and I said Vecna Lives / Vecna Reborn and Iuz the Evil / City of Skulls.
    But I wasn't sure how the series of each goes. I thought there were three modules for the Vecna series and I wasn't sure how the Iuz series went. Sure we're playing 3.5/Pathfinder but the DM is good enough to make adjustments as needed.
    Any thoughts?

In His Path and Glory We Follow,
    Theocrat Issak of the Church of the One True Path

Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:21 am  
    Re: Vecna / Iuz Modules

TheocratIssak wrote:
    So the DM asked me what adventures I'd like to run and I said Vecna Lives / Vecna Reborn and Iuz the Evil / City of Skulls.
    But I wasn't sure how the series of each goes. I thought there were three modules for the Vecna series and I wasn't sure how the Iuz series went.

Hey, Issak. Sounds like fun. The Vecna adventures are:

WGA4 Vena Lives! - 12th to 15th-level, AD&D 2nd Edition (1990)
    Vecna Reborn - (the "Ravenloft" one) 5th to 7th-level, AD&D 2nd Edition (1998)
    Die Vecna! Die - 10th to 13th-level, AD&D 2nd Edition (2000)

You'd wanna fit shuffle these around a bit. As WGR6 The City of Skulls is for 9th to 12th-level, AD&D 2nd Edition (1993) and has to fit in there somewhere. Or, you could just drop The City of Skulls for now and run it separately. I think you can get away with running Vecna Reborn first.

Does any of this help?

Don (Greyson)
    Site Theocrat

Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:51 pm  
    Vecna vs Asmodeus

Hi all -
    I better let it be known that I'm the only "good" person in the group, and I'm not even good. I'm a Tiger Nomad druid / barbarian with the PHB 2 shift shape ability so I shift to a Panther. There is a cleric of Asmodeus, a wizard of Asmodeus, a dark dwarf rogue/fighter and a player that changes his characters by the week - but he's a weak player and so he always goes for the easy things and follows along with the rest of the group. So it's an evil party. I believe in nature and the natural order and took the flaw "no need for book learning" so I only know Knowledge Nature and although he keeps trying to convert me to his religion, I say I can't say he's good for me or not, sure the healing that you do for the rest of the group (he has faith healing and can only heal those one step in alignment) but animating zombies and skeletons just doesn't seem natural but I tolerate it because I feel in the long room we're making it possible for me to eventually attack Iuz.
    So that's why I want Iuz modules. But the Vecna modules would be cool as well. So at our low level of 5, we're ready for Vecna Reborn but not high enough for Vecna Lives. So with the levels as they are for that what would be the recommendation?
    What about the recommendations for Iuz?
    How about recommendations for combining the Iuz and Vecna modules? How would that be best accomplished?

Issak

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:34 pm  

Exactly how have you rationalized a "good" character joining up with a bunch of Asmodeus worshippers; very little grey - Asmodeus is as evil as you can get. Unless they are fooling the good character - Asmodeus is a master of deceit and his worshippers do follow in his footsteps.

Even more shocking; no self-respecting Tiger Nomad shaman/druid would shapeshift into a panther - A big cat that isn't a Tiger. He would be laughed out of camp.

Last edited by Crag on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:06 pm  

Issak,
    There isn't a "series" of Iuz modules. WGR6 City of Skulls takes place in the proximity of Iuz (Darakaa), but your party had better pray to their gods/devils/etc. that he doesn't show up. Otherwise, there are only a handful of published adventures where he may or may not make an appearance, ask your DM to check out the Temple of Elemental Evil, Vecna Lives, Die Vecna Die and Expedition to Greyhawk Ruins. There is one other module with Iuz disguised as something else, but seeing as you're going to be running a PC, it would spoil the plot if I told you which one. Your party is the right level for the first three modules of the WGA Falcon series where you can take on a cult of Iuz (levels 5-7).

As far as linking everything together, your DM must first make some major alterations to these adventures for them to fit your party's alignment. As they are written, WGA1-3 depend on a strong alliance between your party, a LG priesthood, a paladin, and another extremely powerful good individual. Vecna Lives is written for pre-generated characters or a party with strong ties to Mordenkainen or the CoE. City of Skulls is written for a party of mostly LN alignment in good standing with the rulers of Furyondy.

Vecna's status in Vecna Reborn will make more sense if your party plays Vecna Lives first. Die Vecna Die needs to go last.

Chronologically, the adventures occur as follows:
    WGA1-3: 580CY
    Vecna Lives: 581CY
    City of Skulls: 585CY
    Vecna Reborn: ?
    Die Vecna Die: 591CY

EDIT:
    I would recommend your DM taking a break to run Vecna Lives with the pre-generated characters, then go back to your party and play Vecna Reborn. After that, level-up for a few years, ally with any devil-worshiping Hierarchs who might be lurking around or other evil scum who hate Iuz, and then kill everybody off in Die Vecna Die.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:26 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    Issak,
    There isn't a "series" of Iuz modules.

Correct. "Iuz the Evil" is a sourcebook, not a module.

For a party of evil characters around 5th level, you might consider the Slavers series. The PC's spend a lot of the series, well, not exactly helpless, but reacting rather than acting, and it doesn't really matter what alignment they are. Their motivation is mostly to win their freedom.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:32 am  
    Re: Vecna vs Asmodeus

TheocratIssak wrote:
    But the Vecna modules would be cool as well. So at our low level of 5, we're ready for Vecna Reborn but not high enough for Vecna Lives. So with the levels as they are for that what would be the recommendation?

It has been my experience when converting 1st/2nd edition modules to 3rd edition (assuming Pathfinder is similar to 3rd) that the suggested character levels have to be bumped up a bit to handle it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: