Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - spell range and duration control?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    spell range and duration control?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:12 am  
    spell range and duration control?

can a wizard cancel his own spell? like if i cast fly, can i ended before the duration expire?

same for range: can i cast it "shorter"? lets say a spell have a 10 yards plus 5/level. if i had a 2 level mage, he could cast till 20 yards, but could he also cast it a one yard?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:03 pm  

according to the 2e player's handbook:

Quote:
    ...spells are centered on a point visible to the caster and within the range of the spell.

this would indicate that you do not always have to cast the spell at it's maximum range.

and

Quote:
    Duration: This lists how long the magical energy of the spell lasts. Spells of instantaneous duration come and go the moment they are cast, although the results of these spells may be permanent and unchangeable by normal means. Spells of permanent duration last until the effects are negated by some means, usually by a dispel magic. Some spells have a variable duration. The caster cannot choose the duration of spells, in most cases. Spells with set durations (for example, 3 rounds per level of the wizard) must be kept track of by the player. Spells of variable duration (for example, 3+1d4 rounds) are secretly recorded by the DM. Your DM may warn you when spell durations are approaching expiration, but there is usually no sign that a spell is going to expire; check with your DM to determine exactly how he handles this issue.

Certain spells can be ended at will by the caster. In order to dismiss these spells, the original caster must be within range of the spell's center of effect--within the same range at which the spell can be cast. The caster also must be able to speak words of dismissal. Note that only the original caster can dismiss his spells in this way.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:50 pm  

oh, thanks!

what do you think are those "Certain spells"?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 pm  

personally, I allow most spells with a duration other then instantaneous or permanent to be dismissed by the caster.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:58 pm  

Rossik: you need to read each spell to see what those "certain spells" are. I don't mean taht you should read every single spell- just the ones that the PCs have access to. When they get new spells, make sure you read through them too. Not many spells can be ended "at will" but there are a few.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: