Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who is this elf?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who is this elf?
    Forum Moderator

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:22 pm  
    Who is this elf?

I came across this in my researches, back in the day when I ran this mod I never gave it much thought. Now that I know much about Zagig this NPC still doesn't register. Any ideas?

From WGR1, Greyhawk Ruins:

Quote:
    Z635. There is a beautiful woman entombed in a glass sarcophagus. At her feet is a stone table with a tablet on it. It lies open with a pen, but nothing is written there. She is an elf woman of incredible beauty, her flowing hair shimmering in the magical light, her supple body resting peacefully, her lips soft and alluring, her eyes closed in a comfortable sleep from which she might awaken at any time. She is so indescribably beautiful, in fact, that no male party member will be able to stand the fact that other male party members are looking at her. This acts as a symbol spell of discord that only a wish spell can overcome. Also, if the PCs don’t all sign the book, or if they attempt to damage the sarcophagus, the stone golems in Z634 will come to attack.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:34 am  
    Re: Who is this elf?

mortellan wrote:
    I came across this in my researches, back in the day when I ran this mod I never gave it much thought. Now that I know much about Zagig this NPC still doesn't register. Any ideas?

From WGR1, Greyhawk Ruins:

Quote:
    Z635. There is a beautiful woman entombed in a glass sarcophagus. At her feet is a stone table with a tablet on it. It lies open with a pen, but nothing is written there. She is an elf woman of incredible beauty, her flowing hair shimmering in the magical light, her supple body resting peacefully, her lips soft and alluring, her eyes closed in a comfortable sleep from which she might awaken at any time. She is so indescribably beautiful, in fact, that no male party member will be able to stand the fact that other male party members are looking at her. This acts as a symbol spell of discord that only a wish spell can overcome. Also, if the PCs don’t all sign the book, or if they attempt to damage the sarcophagus, the stone golems in Z634 will come to attack.

i did a little search, but i think that this wasmade just for this module. is there any contact to the authors of GH Ruins?
    Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:06 pm  

Not likely rossik. I discussed this topic with Gary Holian last night and even he has little idea about this elf's identity and he's researched Zagig backstory fairly extensively in his publications. He speculates that maybe the elf is part of the 'treasures' of the level, a Sleeping Beauty. Possible given his eccentricity, but I am not so convinced as she has protections on her afforded only to one other in the dungeons, his own shriveled body! Even Zagig's parents are interred humbly in another dungeon of the Castle altogether!

So I guess I'm not looking for definitive answers so much as some good old Greyhawky discussion and speculation.
    GreySage

Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:09 pm  

My first thought is that this is an old adventuring companion and lover of Zagig's. Someone who died in a way that made her soul irreclaimable, as opposed to the immortality that awaited his more famous six colleagues. Heartbroken, he honored her as best as he could, and remained a bachelor the rest of his mortal days.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:21 pm  

This IS a Zagig, thing, right? It's probably some random dude polymorphed into an elf chick. Or a weird GenCon reference - what's with signing the book?

Or it's Drelzna's half-sister....
    Site Theocrat

Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 pm  
    Why that damnable Rasgon.....

Hi all -
    I say this with two things in mind. One of course is jest and sarcasm. The other is contempt for Rasgon (in particular, but all of you people).
    See we all know that mort does a frak-ton of research for his WoG Comic. Thus I can see why he'd be looking up some obscure reference in some whack-a-doodle. I can even understand why he'd even ask questions to clarify his own concepts. But Rasgon.....But damnable Rasgon.....
    He always seems to have the answer. If it's not really the answer, then it's such a close approximation to an answer that it's the answer. It's truly sickening. I quit. I mean, I don't give up my Theocratic title, but I quit none-the-less.

Be Well. Be Well Rasgon'd.
    Theocrat Issak

P.S. Remember I said jest and sarcasm. I really do like Rasgon's posts and his knowledge, I'm just jealous. You know they say people have one talent. Mine talent is taking the stickers off books, DVD's, Games, etc... without leaving the residue or even knowledge that the sticker was ever removed. See my talent is relativity useless. My other talent is an ability to drive off road in places that my stock vehicles shouldn't, and others with better rigs break stuff. But then I have been off roading for 15 years in stock vehicles and it teaches you to do stuff without the big lift and tires. So that doesn't count.
    Still. Damnable. All. Of. You.
    Theocrat Issak

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:47 am  

i wish i could remove stickers like you Sad
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:12 am  

Nellisir wrote:
    [...] what's with signing the book?

Indeed. I sense an obscure Gygaxian insider joke.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:40 am  

I believe it is just a guest book. Keeps visitors from scratching things like "Grom the Kobold wuz here!" on the wall with their daggers. Laughing

Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 am  

Rasgon is Greyhawk incarnated.
    GreySage

Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:19 am  

I like Nellisir's answer better.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:13 am  

Drelnza's half-sister? That would mean ANOTHER person for Iuz's family tree! AUGH!

Rasgon's first thought takes into account recent canon written about Zagig(after this mod) during his adventuring days which is important since WGR1 is seeded with clues about Zagig's former adventuring days. In fact, Level 6 of Zagig's Tower where the elf chick is found is the repository for much of that career.

I postulate the opposite of Nell, that the elf was competiton (Not magically necessary but maybe in gaining the ear of Zagig). That Iggwilv, posing as Tasha (sorry ratdemon) slipped this elf a poison spell something(lethal or not she was taken out). Zagig was too busy to look into a cure so he put her in stasis and planned on returning her like many other projects, but insanity and successful apotheosis followed and she was forgotten. This perpetuates the sly evilness of Iggwilv as she apprenticed for a short time under Zagig to learn his secrets of trapping demons, eventually running off with the knowledge to start her own Demonomicons.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:26 am  

Oh snap I think I found my own answer, maybe...

Z626 (Same level as the Elf woman).
    A great troll kneels by bins of seeds and bread, filling a wooden trowel. He turns to face you, not with the threatening leer of a mindless beast but with a gentle curiosity. His eyes shine bright and white.
    Zagig had done many experiments in his days, and placing the mind of an ailing friend into the body of a regenerative troll was but one of them. This troll has the mind(spellcasting ability) of a D18.

That's one tough troll...Now the entry refers to the troll consistently as 'he' but since this is a mind-swap there is nothing to say the mind isn't that of the elf chick! What's goofy is regenerative doesn't mean trolls are immortal are they? Also I forget but were elves allowed to take druid as a class in 2e?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:54 am  

I think the fact that she has such unearthly beauty as to cause discord among the male party members is significant. Even if she had been an adventuring companion who somehow managed to obtain a godlike comeliness, it would not be enough to cause the discord. That is an artifact-level power (like the greed and covetousness caused by the Cup and Talisman of Al'Akbar, or Daoud's Woundrous Lanthorn).

This fact, AND the fact that there is also a gallery level to the dungeon where Zagyg collected rare and beautiful works of art to display (and protected them all with a powerful curse), makes me partial to the idea that she is somehow another one of Zagyg's "treasures." Something hoarded away for his own solitary... erm... viewing pleasure. Perhaps she was the queen of some outer-planar ancestors of the nymphs, encountered during his planar travels and abducted when she spurned his affections. Heh.
    Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:55 pm  

Very shrewd observations Iron Golem. I keep wanting to shake off the notion she is a treasure of Zagig's with evidence of her being a companion of his but then there is just as much evidence like you present to support the other way. Cool stuff.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:19 am  

IronGolem wrote:
    This fact, AND the fact that there is also a gallery level to the dungeon where Zagyg collected rare and beautiful works of art to display (and protected them all with a powerful curse), makes me partial to the idea that she is somehow another one of Zagyg's "treasures." Something hoarded away for his own solitary... erm... viewing pleasure. Perhaps she was the queen of some outer-planar ancestors of the nymphs, encountered during his planar travels and abducted when she spurned his affections. Heh.

She is Zagyg's "Realdoll" (TM).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: