JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Folio Question
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk Folio Question
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 24, 2004 5:31 pm  
    Greyhawk Folio Question

I own the World of Greyhawk Fantasy Game Setting boxed set published in '83 but I do not own the Greyhawk Folio that came before it.

I was just wondering: Does the boxed set reprint EVERYTHING in the folio or was there some bits of minutia that were left out in the boxed set and that a Greyhawk fan would want to look at.

My current understanding is that the boxed set updates the material in the folio (ie. reprints material in a new format, corrects errata, and adds additional material) but the time line of 576 C.Y. remains the same.

Can someone answer this question for me?

Thanks. Happy
    CF Admin

Mon May 24, 2004 9:41 pm  

Mr. Underhill, you are in fact mostly correct. There are some substantive differences between the two versions (most notably in the quality of the map paper, the runes, the fact that rulers have names in the box, and that some of the interior maps are smaller in the box set), but for the most part, the box set is the more complete of the two releases.

Did you have any specific questions in mind?

Mon May 24, 2004 9:59 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Did you have any specific questions in mind?

Well, you've pretty much answered my question; however, because you seem most learned, I will ask:

The Runes? Were these an addition in the boxed set?

Also, while I'm at it, what about the original Greyhawk supplement for Original D&D? Is the material in this consistant with the Folio and '83 boxed set? Also, does this supplement provide a map of the Flannaess?
    Master Greytalker

Tue May 25, 2004 5:02 am  

Most of the info in the first print was repeated in the second, I think. Strangely enough, I'm currently trying to stitch together all the info from all official products, including modules, LGG, Canonfire, OJ etc. It's surprising how much additional minutiae you can find if you look in different sources. Of course this also makes it an absolute nightmare to stitch together a coherent document.

The maps were the same in the first, second, and third versions as I recall, however I think Dungeon is going to publish an updated map shortly, with loads more locations on (such as from the Marklands etc).

Hope that helps!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 31, 2004 3:08 pm  

PaulN6 wrote:
    ...I think Dungeon is going to publish an updated map shortly, with loads more locations on (such as from the Marklands etc).

really? Where did you hear that information. IF Dungeon Magazine was to reprint the Greyhawk maps, that would be most excellent!

.................................Omote

Mon May 31, 2004 4:47 pm  

Baggins wrote:

No, the Folio includes the runes. I don't own the 83 box set, just the Folio, but my understanding is that the Folio contains runes that the box set does not, and vice versa. I remember reading someplace that you need both sets of runes to translate the runes in the Temple of Elemental Evil.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 31, 2004 4:54 pm  

PaulN6 wrote:
    I think Dungeon is going to publish an updated map shortly, with loads more locations on (such as from the Marklands etc).

Interesting! I wonder if Dungeon would include the locations mentioned by Gygax and Kuntz in the old Greyhawk's World series in Dragon.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen a compilation of these additional towns, villages, etc. from the old Dragon articles?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 31, 2004 7:58 pm  

Omote wrote:
    PaulN6 wrote:
    ...I think Dungeon is going to publish an updated map shortly, with loads more locations on (such as from the Marklands etc).

really? Where did you hear that information. IF Dungeon Magazine was to reprint the Greyhawk maps, that would be most excellent!

.................................Omote

I got this information from someone posting on EN World:

There is also a note that Dungeon issues 117-120 will contain a massive 4-part map of the World of Greyhawk.
    CF Admin

Mon May 31, 2004 10:06 pm  

Lefto wrote:
    Baggins wrote:

No, the Folio includes the runes. I don't own the 83 box set, just the Folio, but my understanding is that the Folio contains runes that the box set does not, and vice versa. I remember reading someplace that you need both sets of runes to translate the runes in the Temple of Elemental Evil.

That's correct Lefto, and sorry for the tardy reply Baggins. Stylistically, I like the runes from the folio better, for the most part: they're cleaner, and are most like what you would actually scratch/chisel into stone vs. the more-roundy runes from the box set....

Thu Jun 03, 2004 7:15 am  

Baggins wrote:
    I got this information from someone posting on EN World:

There is also a note that Dungeon issues 117-120 will contain a massive 4-part map of the World of Greyhawk.

I just got my issue of DUNGEON, and I found the little blurb about the new GREYHAWK MAPS in future issues of the Mag. Absoluelty titilating!

.......................Omote

Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:47 am  

Baggins wrote:

I just got my issue of DUNGEON, and I found the little blurb about the new GREYHAWK MAPS in future issues of the Mag. Absoluelty titilating!

If they could get the guys who do the FR maps these days to do it, yah, it would be cool. Even better, dig up Darlene Pekul, I hear she's working in the industry again. If the maps will be of the same -pretty but useless- style 3e Greyhawk has given us so far, well then, yuck Confused

Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:01 am  

Well I'm hanging on to see these new maps before submitting my versions to Canonfire, we shall have to wait and see their standard. I am non too hopeful after seeing past examples.

Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:04 am  

What about the MAP in the new MAURE CASTLE DUNGEON issue? The small map that is depicted there is quite nice, but I don't recall ever seeing it before? Maybe that is a small slice of the map we will eventually see in future issues of Dungeon! IF so, looks good.

Anyone remember the maps that we part of the "Players Guide to Greyhawk" in 1998? There was a small cardstock foldout map of the Plain of Greyhawk, Dyvers, and the Wild Coast. That was a pretty sweet map. A finished map like that would be quite cool too!

Most of my players (and myself included) are fiends for more complete and detailed maps. We are all hoping!

...........................Omote
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: