JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Katapesh Converted Into Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Katapesh Converted Into Greyhawk
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 25, 2009 7:07 am  
    Katapesh Converted Into Greyhawk

The newest AP from Paizo features an excellent storyline that I want to adapt to Greyhawk. It is a desert/arid mountainous region. The adventure is fairly distinct from Golarions other parts, such as Varisia. So, I need some suggestions on conversions.

It is supposed to be a mountain chain that sits astride a trade route to more eastern societies, such as GH. I was thinking Zeif. Possibly in the Norhern Ull region, or maybe in the Banner/Tusman Hills area.

I need to replace Sarenrae, the goddess of dawn, a protective and good aligned diety. Geshtai?

Also, there is a neutral god of magic, its benign and destructive aspects. Bocob?

I also need a god of destruction, known as the clawed one. I am actually thinking Tiamat or Tharzidun. For those who have read the adventures, the diety shares aspects of both.

What other Baklunish dieties are there? Istus, Moqoul, Geshtai?

Also, I need to substitute the Cabal that controls Katapesh, but the Moqoullad will work well for this.

Any thoughts on the far west?
    GreySage

Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 am  
    Re: Katapesh Converted Into Greyhawk

Anced_Math wrote:
    It is supposed to be a mountain chain that sits astride a trade route to more eastern societies, such as GH. I was thinking Zeif.

Or Ket?

Quote:
    I need to replace Sarenrae, the goddess of dawn, a protective and good aligned diety. Geshtai?

Pelor. Sarenae is Pelor in everything but gender.

Quote:
    Also, there is a neutral god of magic, its benign and destructive aspects. Boccob?

Yes. Nethys is very close to Boccob.

Quote:
    I also need a god of destruction, known as the clawed one. I am actually thinking Tiamat or Tharzidun. For those who have read the adventures, the diety shares aspects of both.

You must mean Rovagug. He's pretty much Tharizdun, although he's also patron of the orcs, so I suppose you could use Gruumsh.

Quote:
    What other Baklunish dieties are there? Istus, Mouqol, Geshtai?

Xan Yae, Zuoken. Al'Akbar, Daoud, Azor'alq. Worship of the elements is also very common in Baklunish society.
    Master Greytalker

Mon May 25, 2009 11:35 am  

Far West; Oh Joy Happy

Location: Western Ket or Tusmit sounds right. Ket for political subterfuge and Tusmit for more of a frontier feel.

Deities (options): Baklunish Pantheon
    Sarenrae becomes Azor'alq (NG) - Hero-God of Light, Purity, Courage
    Nethys becomes Istus (N) - Sometimes she allows fate to weave unmolested.

Baklunish Pantheon
    Istus
    Geshtai
    Mouqol
    Xan Yae
    Al'Akbar
    Zuoken
    Azor'alq
    Daoud

Just a thought....

Personally I like Tiamat rather then Big T as it would be something of a surprise since Big T can become overexposed. Rather then another not him again moment instead of a menace. GH seems to have a lot of lunatics running around.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 25, 2009 10:04 pm  

Anced:

I don't know much about the area you are referring to in Golarin, but it sounds a lot like the silk road in the valleys north of the mountains between Zeif, the plains and the desert that is all around it. Crag knows which one I mean, and likely can give you far more info about it. Its basically an analog to the Silk Road, goes through a desert and leads to the Celestial Empire, and from there to the Baklunish West, south of Zeif.

Or am I too far off base. Admittedly I don't know what you're pulling from really. Next time we get together for lunch bring the gazateer and maybe I can offer a bit more suggestion, though Crag is a better source than I will ever be :)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 26, 2009 8:05 am  
    Re: Katapesh Converted Into Greyhawk

Anced_Math wrote:
    It is a desert/arid mountainous region. [...]

It is supposed to be a mountain chain that sits astride a trade route to more eastern societies, such as GH.

The silk road would make sense. It passes through the mountains into the Celestial Empire on the western side and through a desert (Istustan?) on the eastern side, just southwest of Zeif and south of the Gulf of Ghayar.

If the desert element wasn't particularly important to the adventure, Ket would make sense. Ull could work too, although I get the impression that that region isn't particularly safe for foreigners to travel in.
    Master Greytalker

Tue May 26, 2009 10:30 am  

Mikel,

The area is known as Katapesh, and it is an Arabian Nights/desert themed area newly presented in the newest Pathfinder AP. For those of you have not seen it, I think it is one of the most compelling storylines for any AP every. I highly recommend it.

The first adventure is by Mr. Erik Mona, and it gets my vote for one of the all time greats. The adventure is well paced, intriguing and sufficiently complex to involve characters without overwhelming them with information. Also, the story arc is without peer. The only things I can compare it to is slavers or the TOEE. Your characters will be going through this adventure. They have no choice, and the method is even better as they should not feel forced.

With only a few changes (most of which I have outlined above) it should drop into nearly any campaign without any significant pain.
    Site Theocrat

Tue May 26, 2009 12:46 pm  
    Tal Meta's Gods

Hi all -
    I really wish I could afford the 4th Pathfinder series, all I read is good stuff about it. Job....job...job...
    Because I'm not familiar enough with the series, but I'm getting familiar with WoG 2.0 and know something about WoG 1.0 I think I can help here.
    OK, not really help, but... maybe provide a direction. While I've always been an anti-sean k. reynolds person because of what he did to Greyhawk with his modules and lack of research I do believe that he did a decent enough job with the gods for the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer. However, someone that I really wish that Erik Mona and Gary Holian had contacted about doing the gods was Tal Meta. Although most of his work was on RuneQuest to AD&D 2nd Edition, his Greyhawk Gods were/are awesome.
    I know I downloaded a PDF of his stuff at some point in time (this goes along with some of the things that should be in a folder for download on GHO).
    At talmeta.net you can see his ancient Web site. Click, RPG's, RuneQuest, Campaigns, Greyhawk and there you'll see a list of the racial deities.
    I hope this helps to maybe choose a racial deity, even if one is outside the norm.
    I also think that because Golarion has so few gods - actually its Avistan and Garaund that are the known continents with the main gods - that using more obsure Greyhawk racial gods might work to your benefit.
    Hope that helps.
    Be Well. Be Well Religious.
    Theocrat Issak

Tue May 26, 2009 3:33 pm  

Missed the desert aspect AM Embarassed

West of the Gulf of Ghayar is the Bediyan Desert and various mountain ranges. The Silk Pass allows trade between the baklunish basin and the celestial imperium. The celestial caravan route is obviously the GH version of the silk road.

Its geographical features seem ideal but it is beyond the known lands of Flanaess until I post the articles of the area; that is Wink

However if you feel decide to leave the comfort of the Flanaess...

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=mymw32mgyym&thumb=4
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 27, 2009 3:12 am  

Actually what I am seeking are tie ins to my current campaign area. My players want to be able to revisit their PCs/(soon to be) NPCs from previous games. The silk road aspect is excellent, as in my game Shiboleth (in Gran March) produces a small amount of exquisite silk that is naturally red and is in enormous demand in Zeif/Celestial Imperium. So, we have a natural connection with the caravan routes.

I am thinking that the areas just south of Kester may be a good area also, but i need to read more. It is not high desert btw (as in Sahara) but rather a desolate area with rare rivers and springs (south west US).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: