JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Master of the Clerkberg
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Master of the Clerkberg
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm  
    Master of the Clerkberg

Can anyone tell me if there was ever any mention of anyone being named as the master of Clerkberg, as part of the Thieves Guild?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri May 29, 2009 3:02 pm  

I seem to remember the Thief's Guild having a person 'in charge' of Guild activities in each of the sections of Greyhawk, but I don't remember the title given to these people. "Master" might just be it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri May 29, 2009 4:09 pm  

The CoG box set only lists Mater Thieves of the Thieves', Artisans', Garden, Foreign Slum & River Quarters. Yet in the box set's gazetteer it states that Clerksburg is a district and a quarter. Maybe it falls under one og the other quarters for the Thieves Guild...
    Forum Moderator

Fri May 29, 2009 9:36 pm  

Good question. Now having reviewed my CoG book here is a decent answer I think.

Clerkburg is said to not be a thriving business market. It is mostly school buildings and student/instructor housing. There are still plenty of opportunities for theivery but I postulate the district may be either a free-for all area or off-limits in most cases. For example:

C1: Grey College. Plenty of students, some with money but highly educated and connected. The guild might not want to take the heat for crimes done to this place.
    C2: Great Library. They are on pigeon speed dial to the Guild of Wizards and the College of Magic. Off limits.
    C4: Black Dragon Inn: Standard place of business ran by a former adventurer. Free-for-all.
    C5: Jewelers and Gem Cutters Hall. Given the relationship with the Thieves Guild, likely off limits.
    C6: University of Magical Arts. Good luck.
    C7: The City Mint. Ditto.
    C8: School of Culinary Art. Yawn.
    C9: Bardschool. That will build your rep too, not.
    C12: Freecity Arena. Maybe good for free for all betting action, but most of the time is inactive so at best is a free area to meet or drop off stuff.
    etc.

So yeah not much for Thieves to hit here unless they aren't Guild thieves looking to make a name for themselves(double trouble) or they are bored and need some easy money by mugging or grifting students.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri May 29, 2009 10:19 pm  

That covers it nicely.

No action to control in the Clerksburg, so no Master of the area is needed to oversea the group of thieves that is NOT operating there(for very obvious reasons). Wink

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun May 31, 2009 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 30, 2009 8:13 pm  

I'm sue there is some low level thieving going on. Pick pocketing, gambling, etc. Perhaps just not anything large enough to warrant a Master Thief for the Quarter
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun May 31, 2009 12:31 am  

I'm sure thieves would wander into the area to ply their trade, just not on a level requiring a Master to oversee it.

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:49 am  

In my own campaign, ran since about, 1990 a PC named Kay has become the Master of Clerksburg. He has become business partner to Miklos of the Black Dragon inn and there he set the base of operations. Kay is an elf, and a womanizer, and replaced all the waitresses with playboy pinups :)
    We have played from 582 CY to 596 CY and he's still there, although they used a lot of money from the coffers to buy potions of youth for the aging Miklos.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:27 pm  

I have currently set the Headquarters for Intellegence and Information Gathering Network within the Guild in the Clerkburg.

This setup seems to suit the feel of the Clerkburg and means that they could come and go relatively easily and would not be out of place.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LxFbDd7OKYU/SbWrJCI154I/AAAAAAAAAB4/4ZGwmKUQ7fw/s1600-h/Thieves+Guild+Org+Chart.jpg

Last edited by jacko on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:42 am  

I think the Guild of Thieves' biggest operations in Clerkburg would involve gambling at the Free City Arena, blackmail of well-connected students and faculty at the various schools, and exploiting the various students with huge lines of credit and ever-increasing interest rates. :)
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:04 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    I think the Guild of Thieves' biggest operations in Clerkburg would involve gambling at the Free City Arena, blackmail of well-connected students and faculty at the various schools, and exploiting the various students with huge lines of credit and ever-increasing interest rates. :)

The scoundrels! And I bet they string out the poor students by only asking for a minimum payment of 1 g.p./month. If only in real life you could go wander into a nearby cave, kill a few critters and come back with enough gold to retire on.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: