JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Earthheart Forge
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Earthheart Forge
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:25 pm  
    Earthheart Forge

The Axe of Dwarvish Lords adventure has a recommended placement of the stronghold of the Last Dwarven High King in the Yatil Mountains. However, the appendix lists artifacts that were used in the creation of the Axe: The Anvil of Stars, The Shaping Hammer, The Brutal Pick, and the Earthheart Forge. The description for the Forge has it at the "heart of the tallest mountain." I always thought it odd that the forge would be far away from the stronghold, so I have it also in the Yatil Mountains. But, where would people guess the tallest mountain on Oerth to be? Would it even be in the Flanaess?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:30 pm  

The 'tallest mountain in the world' can be anywhere you want it. It occurs to me that if you are dealing with artifacts and I imagine high level characters as well, then anywhere, as long as it is consistent with your campaign, will do.

Artifacts are pretty epic plot devices and not meant to be thrown around lightly. So the fact that this artifact is located in the 'tallest mountain in the world' is part of this epic-ness. Consequently, I'd put a really powerful earth elemental (a powerful servant of an earth power) or of Moradin (to see if the PCs are really up to the task).

Regardless, allowing the PCs access to the forge is a REALLY big deal and they should only get one shot at it.

The Grey Mouser
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:04 pm  

With the Crystalmists being the highest mountain range on the Flanaess, it seems like a good place to also sport the highest mountain peak on the Flanaess. And even though it's not really next door to the Yatils, it's also not on the other side of the Flanaess. I think that it fits well for that purpose.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 pm  

Thorvald wrote:
    With the Crystalmists being the highest mountain range on the Flanaess, it seems like a good place to also sport the highest mountain peak on the Flanaess. And even though it's not really next door to the Yatils, it's also not on the other side of the Flanaess. I think that it fits well for that purpose.

I'd go for the Crystalmist too, or maybe in some Fading Land...
    GreySage

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:44 am  

MToscan wrote:
    I'd go for the Crystalmist too, or maybe in some Fading Land...

Or the Seven Heavens.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:11 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Or the Seven Heavens.

Haha. OK, that really IS the tallest mountain. Happy
    But, past material has alluded to what is at the top, never what is at the heart. Those who managed the arduous trek to the mountain's peak were somehow symbolically more righteous than most. Perhaps those who endured the grueling descent to the mountain's heart would be more symbolically willfully contrary. Dig down deep enough and you might end up in the Abyss. D'oh!

Either way, the whole idea of hauling the Anvil of Stars to and from the Yatils to do any forging seems nutty. Why not just build your stronghold next to, or around, your forge?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:19 am  

I think I'll probably go with the Crystalmists. I remember a Dragon article that referenced a clan of dwarves in the Crystalmists that were the keepers of a banner that would grant insights to smiths who studied its woven metal construction. Perhaps those dwarves could be the keepers, or the watchers, of the old passages to the forge.

And, yes, it is a high-level group, and it will not be an easy task to claim the forge. The party will learn its location from one of the tomb wardens of Radruundar. I'm planning on reworking the Dungeon #140 adventure, Heart of Hellfire Mountain, which is a 20th-level adventure.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:58 am  

The statement could be mere regional symbolic prose. You could place it in the Yatil Mountains; "heart of the tallest mountain." is rather ambigulous. Perhaps it means the tallest within the Yatils rather than the entire Oerth.

Have the dwur measured and climbed each mountain; under that theory it might not even be within the Flanaess as the Oerik has several mountain ranges outside of the Flanaess.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 am  

Crag wrote:
    under that theory it might not even be within the Flanaess as the Oerik has several mountain ranges outside of the Flanaess.

That's what I was thinking. It seems to me that the mountain range bordering Shou Fang (or whatever it's called) would be more analogous to the Himalayan Mts., and more likely to have the tallest peaks.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:27 pm  

Although "Heart of the tallest mountain" almost certainly refers to a geographical location if you wanted it to it could be a reference or honorific to an individual or deity.

You could argue that an individual or deity whose nobility, prowess, honour and worth were held in the highest esteem by the dwarves would be described as having a "heart of the tallest mountain."

Takes you on a slightly differrent tangent.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:32 pm  

leviathan wrote:
    Although "Heart of the tallest mountain" almost certainly refers to a geographical location if you wanted it to it could be a reference or honorific to an individual or deity.

You could argue that an individual or deity whose nobility, prowess, honour and worth were held in the highest esteem by the dwarves would be described as having a "heart of the tallest mountain."

Takes you on a slightly differrent tangent.

Ooh. I could get all Planescapey and have the forge located in the chest of a dead god floating on the astral plane. Hmmm. Probably a little too far out for the dwarves in my campaign.
    GreySage

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:05 pm  

IronGolem wrote:
    rasgon wrote:
    Or the Seven Heavens.

Haha. OK, that really IS the tallest mountain. Happy
    But, past material has alluded to what is at the top, never what is at the heart. Those who managed the arduous trek to the mountain's peak were somehow symbolically more righteous than most. Perhaps those who endured the grueling descent to the mountain's heart would be more symbolically willfully contrary. Dig down deep enough and you might end up in the Abyss. D'oh!

The heart of the mountain could be Erackinor, Moradin's realm on the layer of Solania (the Fourth Heaven).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: