JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sons of the Sea Princes
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sons of the Sea Princes
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 am  
    Sons of the Sea Princes

I am currently running a site-based campaign out of Salinmoor using Castles & Crusades rules set in 576 CY. One of my players wants to play a sailor/swashbuckler/corsair type modeled after sea men of the 16th century as popularized in Pirates of the Caribbean. Now, I should state that my Greyhawk really is very much more akin to 12th to 14th centuries Europe.

I am going to let him play his character, after all the object of the game is to have fun, and I do like to wrap the campaign around the characters above all else.

What I ask is this: does anyone have anything to contribute to help me get a good grasp of what the Azure Sea is like with Pirate Clans and the Hold full of still-masked SB agents? Is the slave trade still prevalent? What would a corsair do for a living on the Azure Sea?

Anything helps. I already have an idea of what I will create for the campaign, but I would like to tap the years of experience here as well.

Thank you all.

I just found Crag's useful entries about Privateers and Buccaneers and Slavers and the lot. Still, I would enjoy more input as well.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:35 am  

This might not be exactly what your looking for as its more other materials you might raid for ideas and alternative rules than Azure sea ideas, but look into Alderac Entertainment Group, Adamant Entertainment, Green Ronin, and New Dimension Games.

Alderac Entertainment does a bunch of stuff that is easily incorporated into pirate campaigns in any setting. Especially look at their 7th Sea Campaign setting, their Swashbuckling Adventure's series, and their book "Corsair!" which has d20 rules for sailing vessels and such. They have a ton of other source books that might have some interesting or useful materials.

Adamant Entertainment has a campaign called Buccaneer's and Bokor that might be useful. Green Ronin's Freeport stuff I've used several times when I want to do a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' feeling setting. New Dimension Games has a campaign setting called "Pirates" that has a lot of material, I haven't used it myself yet but some of it looked good.

Also as an honorable mention: I've always really liked Goodman Games' Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures, they usually have a kind of 1st edition feel with 3rd edition rules. #4 (Bloody Jack's Gold), #7 (Secret of Smuggler's Cove), and #46 (the book of Treasure Maps) all have some piranical flavor.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:41 am  

I heartily recomend the Swashbuckling Adventures/7th Sea d20 sourcebooks for your game if you are interested in having that sort of characters running about.

However...

As the GM, you are going to want to go over it THOROUGHLY and decide what you are, and are not, going to allow. There are several feats that simply will not fit into a standard-fantasy world like Greyhawk, not to mention the 7th-Sea specific material, and the widespread use of gunpowder. And then there is the 'Man of Will' prestige class that renders the character immune to charms and illusions by the time the character reaches 5th (character, not class) level... Shocked So, beware, potentially gamebreaking rules lurk therein!

Having said that, it is really an excellent set of material to add a more swashbuckling feel to a d20 game, and it can readily be adapted to a 3.x campaign quite handily. Indeed, you may find uses for it far and wide through the Flanaess (I use a variation on the Musketeer for any 'Royal Guard' type unit myself. Cool ).
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: