JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Specific Magic Items
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Greyhawk Specific Magic Items
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 pm  
    Greyhawk Specific Magic Items

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:20 pm  

I like it. Nicely done.

I'm not so good with mechanics, but I might have an idea or two for this thread. Gimme a couple of days to see if I can come up with something.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:15 am  

I'm just going to take it upon myself to go ahead and preempt any other posts to this effect:

BUTT-SCRATCHER!!!

Laughing

(Nice magic item by the way.) Cool

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:49 pm  

Here's one from my own campaign:

Daggers of the Twisted Mind
    Appearing as heavy daggers of antique manufacture, daggers of the twisted mind are hazardous to their wielder as well as to those upon whom they are used. Each bears a +2 enchantment, injecting Type D poison (2e DMG, p. 73) with each successful hit of their wavy blades. Victims wounded by both daggers in a single fight, even if they survive the damage and the poison, must again save vs. poison or be overcome by insanity (choose randomly from the afflictions on page 83 of the 1e DMG). Worse, anyone who wields both daggers simultaneously must save vs. poison upon causing the death of any creature with them, with failure resulting in insanity as described above.

These insidious weapons are always found in pairs, and if separated one will invariably teleport to the location of its mate within a day. There is no way to tell which dagger will teleport, which means that losing one could easily mean losing both - in this way the daggers are able to spread madness randomly, to the glory of the Lord of Insanity. Only three pairs are known to exist: one is in the possession of an assassin currently plying his trade in the city of Greyhawk, the second was recently lost somewhere in the Glorioles, and the third is believed to lie locked away in the vaults of the king of Nyrond. The secret of their construction is found only in the Minthexian Codex, a tome holy to dread Tharizdun once owned by the mad priest Durgoth Shem, believed by some to have been a former hierarch of the Horned Society. The ritual used in their manufacture is said to require the sacrifice of no fewer than six innocent lives per dagger.

XP Value: None
    GP Value: 400 gp (each)

Variant: Those who prefer the 3e/3.5e rules may wish to give the wielder of these daggers an Insanity Score equal to one-half of their character level, as described on page 161 of Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil.

Last edited by bubbagump on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:04 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:51 am  

Sheesh. That's what I get for writing from memory. The above entry has been edited for clarity.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:50 pm  

Nice bubbagump Smile

Although to be honest I don't think it needs the the teleport ability at all but if you want to create a union perhaps a subtle encouragement to reunite the pairs. The hints could be via dreams untill the pair is reunited would be more in keeping with the slumbering one.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 pm  

Actually, the teleporting thing was a plot device from one of my old campaigns. The PCs became aware of a series of seemingly unrelated murders occurring in widely scattered places, but all with the same characteristics and involving similar daggers. For a while they ran around trying to find an organization behind all the killing, since "obviously" there couldn't be just one person behind it all. Eventually they discovered the daggers and their curious purpose, and that led them into direct confrontation with the cleric who created them.

And all that was just a setup for the next campaign, which would have pitted the PCs against Tharizdun, Iuz, Rary, Turrosh Mak, and certain other forces in the climactic final scenes. Unfortunately, that one didn't get far before it had to be disbanded.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: