JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Ex Keraptis Cum Amore
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Ex Keraptis Cum Amore
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:17 pm  
    Ex Keraptis Cum Amore

I really hate when a published adventure makes use of optional published material without including the necessary crunchy bits (should a DM not actually own the OPTIONAL material). Regarding this adventure in Dungeon #77, can anyone provide a general description of some of the magic items detailed in the adventure that are not in the DM's Guide (e.g. Bone Ring, etc.) and spells that are not in the Players' Handbook (e.g. stone heart, etc.)?

Don
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:17 pm  

Not for sure but I'm thinking the bone ring is in the magic of faerun. But thats for 3rd edition.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:40 pm  

Well, the adventure does specify that it requires the Encyclopedia Magica and the Wizard's Spell Compendium. It's not really to their advantage to reprint multiple pages of material from other books.

Bone Ring: Immunity to strength drain and energy drain. 1d100 charges. Uses one charge per attack.

Mace/Wand of Lightning: Mace +2 that functions as a Wand of Lightning.

Primrose Oil: Truth serum added to food or drink.

Oil of Conquering Glory: +1 THAC0 for a turn when applied to a weapon.

Potion of Merging: Up to seven willing people can hide within the drinker as if gaseous, leaving at will.

Conjure Spell Component: Teleport spell components from several miles away.

Battering Ram: Duplicates a Ring of the Ram.

Charge: Booby trap an object with an electrical charge.

Acid Lash: Whip of corrosive energy that ignores armor.

Material: Create raw, unworked materials.

Protection from Fire: Immune to normal fire.+2 Saves and half-damage from magical fire.

Everlasting Fire: Torch-sized portal to the Plane of Elemental Fire to create a permanent burning flame.

Sphere of Eyes: Negate invisibility, illusions, shapeshifting, and other obscurement magic.

Silent Alarm: Telepathic alarm placed on an object.

Anti-Magic Aura: Anti-magic Shell that engulfs a single target.

Blade of Doom: Invisible blade of force drops on a target when a specific trigger condition is met.

Electric Bow: Create a magical bow that shoots electrically-charged arrows. Shortbow/Hand Crossbow up to Ballista, depending on level.

Insatiable Thirst: Like a Chime of Hunger, but drinking liquids.

Shadow Burst: Mild damage, target is wracked with pain for a round.

Heart of Stone: Replace heart with a magical stone. Minimum damage from piercing and slashing, half damage from blunt. Immune to fatigue. +4 vs. Petrification.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:37 pm  

Dungeon 77 is 2E.

The Bone Ring is originally from Steve Kurtz's most excellent Complete Necromancer Handbook, check the magic items chapter.

Many spells will be found in the Tome of Magic or Spells & Magic. (Heart of Stone is from Spells & Magic iirc.) Check here for much 2E goodness.

Last edited by Thanael on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:48 am  

Thanks so much! That's exactly what I needed.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:43 am  

Hmm. I think I found a bug in the adventure. Under the description of a Suel lich

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Greyhawk/Suellich.txt

it says that the host must be 15 levels weaker than the lich.

WARNING SPOILERS BELOW!
    However, the whole pretext for the dungeon complex is to lure adventurers of at least 10th level to be captured as future hosts for the lich. The lich's current host was a 12th level necromancer. However, the lich is "only" 25th level!
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 am  

IronGolem wrote:
    Hmm. I think I found a bug in the adventure. Under the description of a Suel lich

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Greyhawk/Suellich.txt

it says that the host must be 15 levels weaker than the lich.

When it comes time to seek a new body, the essence of the lich must take a host with Hit Die or levels equal to the liches level minus 15.

I think it goes like this: a 25th level lich needs a host of at least 10th level to build a new body from.

So append " or more" to the sentence above.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:47 am  

Thanael wrote:

I think it goes like this: a 25th level lich needs a host of at least 10th level to build a new body from.

So append " or more" to the sentence above.

Yeah, that makes more sense. I was thinking that the lich had to be much more powerful than the host in order to possess it. It's better if the host just needs to be hardy enough to endure the possession without being consumed too quickly.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: