JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Christmas and dungeon&dragons story's
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Christmas and dungeon&dragons story's
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:16 am  
    Christmas and dungeon&dragons story's

Well i had to tell all of you about this one...........

My girlfriend,her daughter and i had our christmas day today(abby my girlfriends daughter is at her dads next weekend).So this morning we opened our presents.So when it came to my turn to open my presents,my girlfriend got me some nice stuff but when i got to abby's present(who is 5 years old)she really got me something nice,a testors paint kit.Which is real cool because i do paint alot of figures but the next words from abby were......"I got them so you can paint your dollies".... Embarassed Embarassed talk about taking a shot to the manhood.My girlfriend was trying not too laugh.I gave abby a big hug and said thank you.I will use the paints to paint my "dollies" from now on.

If anyone has a good christmas story about getting that AD&D thing you wanted the most when you were a kid or just from this morning,i'd like to hear them.

P.S> i will not be telling my players about this..but i think my girlfriend will rat me out Evil Shocked
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:47 pm  

Christmas 1981. My younger brother and I got the D&D Expert Boxed Set. Our parents didn't know that this was not the boxed set that you had to start out with- they just thought we were geniuses and so, obviously, the "expert" set would be appropriate for us. Laughing

And so it was not more than few days until they went and picked up the D&D Basic Boxed Set for us too, and we were off and running. We had messed around with D&D for about a year and half prior to that(our friends had some stuff) and had been collecting miniature for year longer than that, but that Chistmas is when we really got into D&D. I remember DMing B1 "In Search of the Unknown" and B2 "Keep on the Borderlands" in the back of our station wagon as we went on a road trip from Southern California up to Wyoming and Montana, and all the states in between, sight seeing and visiting relatives along the way.

That of course led to AD&D, and thence to Greyhawk.

And tell your players. They likely have some dollies too. You could paint your dollies together even. Laughing

Last edited by Cebrion on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:44 am  

Dungeons & Dragons is satanism. That is how X-mas and DnD went for me until I became emancipated at 17.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:01 am  

Got my first boxed set for Christmas when I was 9. After that everything changed.

(Sorry to hear about your difficulties, chaoticprime. You'll be happy to know this particular minister is giving his kids minis, dice, and adventure mods for Christmas. And since they're now on Christmas break, I'll be DMing a number of scenarios for them until they go back to school in January. Not all of us think D&D is satanic.)
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:15 am  

bubbagump wrote:
    (Sorry to hear about your difficulties, chaoticprime. You'll be happy to know this particular minister is giving his kids minis, dice, and adventure mods for Christmas. And since they're now on Christmas break, I'll be DMing a number of scenarios for them until they go back to school in January. Not all of us think D&D is satanic.)

I seriously could have purchased and played a game called Demons & Satan Defile Your Child but not Dungeons & Dragons. Not at all. Which is funny, because my older half-brother Jay had been playing DnD since he was 8.

There are complicated reasons for this, but it largely does not matter now.

Still, my kids watch Doctor Who (Peter Davison, mostly) and have begun DnD training by playing HeroQuest. They do not stand a chance of not turning out to be gamers.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:19 pm  

i got the "New! Dungeons and Dragons " black boxwhen i was 15 or a little less.

i asked my mom for the box, the only one here in brazil, since i already had Hero Quest, some steve jackson "choose your path" books and gurps.

so, 2 weeks before xmas, i go through my parents stuff, searching for the box...and found it!
    i was so happy, and still, i couldnt tell i had "search for treasures" in their wardrobe.

at the xmas day, i got the box and ignore all my family, and read the "learn how to play" solo adventure.

next day, i went to my friend house and we had half adventure at zanzer ten dungeon, then i had to travel to the new year thing my family do everyday in another city...but my black box went with me! ;)
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:21 pm  

Roughly 1982, a new store opened up on Main Street, Fitchburg, Mass. I still can`t tell what sort of sotre it was, i just know it was exceptionally well lit and had lots of nice things my mother was interested in, such a decor accents, ect.

At teh counter they had a glass box with dice. TRANSPARENT, prepainted dice, not the cheapo ones with crayon that had come with my dnd box (or the d10's in my star frontiers box). I oooh-ed and aaaah-ed till the cute girl at the counter realized where my interests lay and she produced the World of Greyhawk Folio.

Mother purchased it, and promptly hid it somewhere till Xmas.

I had to wait till spring to get the darned hardcovers though.

:D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:35 pm  
    Re: Christmas and dungeon&dragons story's

baronzemo wrote:
    Well i had to tell all of you about this one...........

My girlfriend,her daughter and i had our christmas day today(abby my girlfriends daughter is at her dads next weekend).So this morning we opened our presents.So when it came to my turn to open my presents,my girlfriend got me some nice stuff but when i got to abby's present(who is 5 years old)she really got me something nice,a testors paint kit.Which is real cool because i do paint alot of figures but the next words from abby were......"I got them so you can paint your dollies".... Embarassed Embarassed talk about taking a shot to the manhood.My girlfriend was trying not too laugh.I gave abby a big hug and said thank you.I will use the paints to paint my "dollies" from now on.

If anyone has a good christmas story about getting that AD&D thing you wanted the most when you were a kid or just from this morning,i'd like to hear them.

P.S> i will not be telling my players about this..but i think my girlfriend will rat me out Evil Shocked

Heh...kids are great aren't they? I just got some model figures for world war II and my grandson wanted to help me put them together so we could play with them afterwards Laughing So much for growing up! Wink

Cebrion I can relate to that too, my dad took note that I was very interested in some game called D&D at the start of the school year in 1981. The group I was playing with didn't have any books except for one of my friends who would study his brothers set and then do his best to recite the rules back to us by memory. Now my dad did good that Christmas by getting me the entire 1st edition set (DMG, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, and Deities and Demigod's-the outlaw Chtulu edition!). Now on my birthday later on I got the D&D expert set because he figured it was for the "experts" of the 1st edition game! It took some time to explain the differences to him. Confused He joined me and my brother that summer, however, and adventured with us in the World of Greyhawk.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:18 pm  

Well my frist christmas D&D preasent came after i got my basic box set ( i sold those cards and gifts from the back of a comic book,remember you had to sell like 35 or 40 of those things).Anyways,my mom and dad went out and got me some mini's( i think they were the heachmen set from the ral partha line) and a package of 6 sided dice.I just told them i needed some more dice for i lost 1 or 2 of them,opp's should have told them about that Happy Still have 1 of those 6 sided dice left from about 28 or 29 years ago,well worn,dam near a 1 sided ball now Smile
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:47 am  
    Christmas and dungeon & dragons stories

I still remember picking up my AD&D core books back in 1980-1 at Orange Blossom Hobbies, which is mainly a train hobbyists spot. Interesting how book stores now are the main sellers.

I remember poring over those rules. "In Search of the Unknown" and "Keep on the Borderlands" were two of the first adventures.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:55 pm  
    Christmas and dungeon & dragons stories

My one D&D story is Christmas of 1986. I had explicitly told my folks I wanted the DM's Guide. At $30, it was pretty hefty for 1986 money, and it was an hour drive to the nearest store that had it. So I told the folks about 2 months early, and reminded them every time they asked me what I wanted. What I got was clothes, some cologne, and a $50 remote control tank that my step-dad and my uncle promptly took and played with until it broke. Turns out my folks had heard about the supposed links between suicide and D&D, so they wouldn't get it for me because of that. They could have saved themselves a lot of money if they just got me the stupid book!
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:24 pm  

I wonder if anybody will have any new Greyhawk Christmas stories to share. Cool

Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:52 am  
    Greyhawk Christmas

Couple of years back I recieved the "Iuz the Evil" Greyhawk soucebook from my brother for Christmas.

Very hard to find, I was really surprised and happy about it. Totally thoughtful gift that I really appreciated.

Gebus
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: