JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39 am  
    Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight

The other day I stumbled upon a LG module speaking of a mysterious organization known as the Drinkers of The Cup of Midnight, somewhat affiliated with a powerful mage. Since my campaign is situated in Furyondy, I just wondered if it 'll be judicious to put this organization on the scene.
    Who are they?
    What are theeir goals?
    Who is this mage ?

Beware of spoilers, nevertheless !
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:30 pm  

I can't see any reason not to include the Drinkers, provided of course that they fit with the adventures you're planning.

The Drinkers are an organization founded by a powerful group of adventurers and dedicated to the downfall of Iuz, no matter what it takes (read: they have good intentions, but they're not exactly good). Their membership includes quite a few powerful figures, not the least of which is the beautiful and mysterious Shade, their leader. The Drinkers have at least some ties to Prince Zeech of Alhaster in the Bandit Kingdoms. They suffered a significant setback in 596 CY (I think that's the right year) when many of them were decimated by an attack orchestrated by Iuz. However, the Shade survived and has since rebuilt the organization.

As for the wizard with whom they're affiliated, it could be any of a number of people. LG materials mention a number of wizards as being members of or otherwise affiliated with the Drinkers, not all of whom are specifically named.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:00 pm  

Good info from Bubbagump!

While not technically a BK-specific group, The Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight will be included in my upcoming LG BK Summary Gazetteer in quite a bit of detail for various reasons. Below is some basic info:

In Living Greyhawk, they were a multi-regional meta-org (Bandit Kingdoms, Furyondy, Highfolk, Perrenland, Shield Lands, which comrpised the IUZ meta-region of LG) dedicated to fighting Iuz. However, they are not holy paladin types, more like neutral rogues, assassins, and fighters who were willing to consort with demons or angels, whichever was the most expedient, to take the fight to the Old One. I helped design the actual meta-org documentation with Britt Frey, LG IUZ meta-regional Circle member (2006-2008, iirc). In my head, I kinda of equated them to a more powerful, more neutral, better equipped Fellowship of the Torch (of whom I am by no means an expert of).

In a mod written by Theo Judd, former BK Triad member, IUZ 6-03 The Cup Runs Dry, Boneshadow Keak tricks PCs into revealing to him what they know about the Drinkers. Keak then slays most of the higher-ranking Drinkers before they knew what hit them. The Shade barely manages to survive, iirc, because the PCs fight Keak (he kicked EVEYRONE's ****, Theo built him uber-butch). I do not recall any of the other NPCs of the Drinkers being "named" or of canonical importance but I will review this when I write their entry in my gazetteer.

As it turns out, the Shade is not human but is a shyft rogue/spymaster/shadowdancer (although I'm not sure that any PCs in LG ever knew this). She is sponsored by a very powerful mage, but I forget who that was or if that mage was ever named. I'll get that figured out for the Drinker's entry in my project.

The shield image for the Drinkers I created with Britt's input/direction:
    http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2791/drinkers.gif
    I believe that this was the final iteration that we used, I need to check with Britt's records.

Here's some info from the meta-AR (the paperwork which spelled out how a LG player could join the organization):

Absolute Loyalty to the Drinkers: The Drinkers of the Cup of Midnight is a highly secretive order dedicated to the downfall of Iuz. As such, the PC must maintain a loyalty to the Drinkers that exceeds that required by fealty to a king or service to a god. Characters who feel honor bound to obey their liege’s, or their church’s, orders above all else should not join the Drinkers. Revealing any information about the Drinkers to non-members will result in the character being expelled from the organization.

Drinker Points: (more = higher ranked in the org)

Items which grant or remove Drinker Points
    Character Level: 1 point per 4 levels
    Character has a chaotic alignment: +1
    Character has a good alignment: -2
    Character has a lawful alignment: -4
    Character has paladin levels: -2
    Character has rogue levels: +1
    Character has spymaster levels: +4
    Character has levels in (circle): arcane trickster, exemplar, holy liberator, hunter of the dead, loremaster, mindbender, mindspy, nightsong enforcer, nightsong infiltrator, shadowcraft mage, shadowdancer, temple raider or thief acrobat: +1 for each class (not levels)
    Character has the Bardic knowledge class feature: +1
    Character has the skill mastery class feature: +1
    Character has the slippery mind class feature: +1
    Per 5 ranks in (circle): Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Intimidate, or Sense Motive: +1 for each skill
    Character has 10+ ranks in (circle) Decipher Script, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Knowledge (local – Iuz Border States): +1 for each skill
    Character has the Craft Wondrous Item feat: +1
    Per 5 points in Charisma above 10 (15, 20, etc.): +1
    Character has a Charisma score of 9 or lower: -2
    Character can cast the spell true seeing: +1

Casey
    former BK Triad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 am  

That's what I call quasi exhaustive information! Thanks a bunch guys!
    Happy
    It also emphasise the need to collect and organize all the LG material and make it available to all the community.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: