Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Reverse Dungeon and GH?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Reverse Dungeon and GH?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:48 am  
    Reverse Dungeon and GH?

i was reading RD and theres mention to treasures of the main villain, in the 2nd level of the dungeon. Lots of GH things, like the weapons from barrier peaks, ring of gaxx, son of kyuss and such.

this module is suppose to be a "joke" module, or is somehow cannon?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:48 am  

I wouldn't call it a joke module. More of an interesting exercise. The section on the social life of goblins is pretty awesome. Honestly, the first level, Goblintown is really the only section I cared about, but as far as a dungeon the second and third levels aren't too bad.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I wouldn't call it a joke module. More of an interesting exercise. The section on the social life of goblins is pretty awesome. Honestly, the first level, Goblintown is really the only section I cared about, but as far as a dungeon the second and third levels aren't too bad.

same here.
    also, the rules to play "3 or more goblins per player" are good, but the other rules (play a monster and then play a undead)...well, its lkike they dont even exist...
    "Goblintown" sounds like a wild west town, ehehe
    GreySage

Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:30 pm  

I don't think there needs to be special rules for the other monsters. The only reason goblins have special rules is because they're extremely weak, and it wouldn't be much fun to play extremely weak cannon-fodder that the human invaders will quickly kill. The more powerful monsters are strong enough to hold their own, and be interesting in their own right. I don't think "Reverse Dungeon" allows monsters to advance in level (2nd edition rules, back when they generally didn't), so you don't need to worry about that.

I don't think the adventure is a joke module, but it's not quite a Greyhawk module either. It's chock-full of Greyhawk references, but not really placed anywhere in specific on Oerth. It also contains some "Cordelloverse" material - stuff from other things Bruce Cordell wrote, that sometimes overlaps with Greyhawk but which is more concerned with being consistent with things that Bruce Cordell wrote than with Greyhawk.

Anyway, I'd call it a "Corehawk" module. It's a core module, but with Greyhawk things in there under the assumption that Greyhawk is the default setting. So it mentions Nerull and Keoghtom and Heironeous and the Recorder of Ye'Cind and it fits really well anywhere in the Flanaess you might choose to put it.

It's canon, I guess, under the assumption that just about everything that TSR/WotC publishes is canon, except WG7 where they specifically shout at you in From the Ashes and The Adventure Begins "DO NOT USE THIS MODULE! USE GREYHAWK RUINS INSTEAD!" and of course Rose Estes' stuff for obvious reasons. But it's not very canon, since nothing else Greyhawk really mentions it at all, as far as I can remember, and it isn't connected to any particular Greyhawk place. But Wizards of the Coast really isn't in the business of telling you what you can or can't use in your Greyhawk campaign, and it's probably more usable with Greyhawk than a lot of things that actually have the Greyhawk label on them.

I never understood why Castle Greyhawk is so hated. I ran parts of both it and Greyhawk Ruins with my group, and had more fun with WG7, honestly
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:45 pm  

well, i must say that the monsters rules are not so good, but they are not bad either.

its liek you get to be a beholder and i...a mimc.

sure, i could have a blast of a time, but the lack of lines in those rules sugest that the module would run better for more experienced players
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:19 pm  

The section on how to fight the encroaching and much more powerful party of adventurers by setting traps for them and then filling them full of spears and arrows is pretty cool. It kind of reminds me of Kobolds Ate My Baby!, which I think would make a great premise for a D&D campaign, minus some of the cows falling on you from a clear sky, and other hilarity... or not. Although now Rossik has me thinking of a cowboy-goblin campaign called Goblintown. Hmmm. Smile
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: