JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pomarj/Suss Forest
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Pomarj/Suss Forest
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 am  
    Pomarj/Suss Forest

I'm trying to develope the Northern Pomarj for play (CY late 578/579).

I've noticed on any number of maps the points of Nol-Daer (which is apparently an abandoned Keep- there is a LG module on it, although I haven't seen the details), and Fenril, on which I have found NOTHING. Does anyone have any details on Nol-Daer? Does anyone have ANYTHING on Fenril?

Whenever possible, I like the idea of keeping my campaign within canon (or quasi-canon, or pseudo-canon, or something that has more of a relationship to the so-called wider world that just making it up), and the older the precedence the better, but sometimes you just have to wing it (which is fun). If there is nothing else out there, I will try to come up with something which isn't:

1) Old habitation, now occuppied by a monster

2) Old habitation, now occuppied by orcs/gnolls

3) Habitiation, which continues to be occuppied by corrupt humans who are in league with orcs. Laughing
    GreySage

Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:36 am  

Nol-Daer is from Dungeon #13. I wrote a short wiki article on it.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:30 pm  

There's nothing on Fenrill other than its inclusion on the map of the Pomarj in Slavers. Though if you put it together with See the Pomarj and Die! from Dragon #167 you can see that the Flaming Skull orc tribe inhabits that area. They're a tribe of about 900. They frequently use burning oil as a missile weapon. Their chief is a burn-scarred (naturally) orc named Jagesh. To the south of them is the hobgoblin Dripping Eye tribe, led by a wizard named Anasiros the Elfbane. To the southwest is a Gnoll tribe, the Bleeding Moon, led by a priest of the Earth Dragon.
    Master Greytalker

Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:43 pm  

The Living Greyhawk scenario SHEI7-01 - Domino Theory contains considerable information about Nol-Daer, including maps. The following three scenarios also make reference to that location:
    SHE7-05 - Bones of Contention
    SHE6-06 - Steeped in Atrocity
    SHE6-02 - Brooding Boughs

Concerning Fenril, I'm afraid you're on your own.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:43 am  

There is reasonable canon basis to state that the former Pomarj lords were essentially of Suloise extraction, while Slavers also provides for wild bands of tribesmen which sound as if they are Flan. This is a basis for a good strife between the remnants of human populations in the Pomarj. In my campaign I have Flan tribes, who are more adept at surviving the new environment of humanoid dominated Pomarj. They were already harried and attacked by the former feudal lords, which they basically detest. And as for the Suloise, some managed to remain in their towns or castles, as allies/servants of the new humanoid lords, including some cities still partially under the control of (evil) humans. But others took to the hills and woods and survive as hunters, foragers and refugees.

So, in my campaign, PCs might run into two different types of "tribesmen":

True tribes of Flansmen who have lived in the area for at least centuries, are adept at evading humanoids, know the terrain and survive reasonably well. Most of them will stay in areas of the woods and forest that are stronger in Druidical power and which the humanoids will shun. There are also isolated valleys and rifts which the Flansmen have managed to keep hidden from the humanoids. They will play it smart, not enganing in battles, but rather laying traps, misdirections, druidic spells and ambushes to keep the humanoids out of their areas. Nonetheless, they frequently venture into humanoid controled territory since there are ancestral burial grounds, possibly cairns and holy places that they want to keep connected to. They will shun and be suspicious of even humans, and will be downright hostile to those of Suloise extraction; they were essentially doing the same thing previous to the humanoid invasion, but against the Suloise masters of the Pomarj. They will be of the Old Faith, and will place great trust and loyalty on their Druids, but they also recognize some other gods, although they really don't have clerics. Most will be Neutral or Chaotic Neutral, but will be very loyal to their tribal group. If you use Barbarians as a class, many of the Flansmen will be Barbarians.

As for the Suloise bands, they are survivors, remants of a catastrophe, and they're not really doing very well, having been at it for only 50 or 70 years. they are permanently harried by the humanoids, who enslave them or kill them. They have mostly gravitated to the worship of evil Suloise deities, as well as to the Earth Dragon; they are primarily of Neutral and Evil alignments. They are poor and badly armed, and rumors of cannibalism may very well be founded.

Few other humans will be found in the Suss or Pomarj, except perhaps for expeditions of loggers and forestmen in the Suss, but these will be people from outside who are entering the Suss for a few days and getting out as quickly as they can.

You could make Fenrill into a small walled village with a keep, inhabited by humans of Suloise extraction who pay tribute in the form of slaves and food to the neighboring Orc tribes.

Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:29 am  

Are there any large-scale maps of the Suss available online? My next game will be set there and thusI do not want to reinvent the wheel.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:32 pm  

First, sorry for the late acknowledgement.

rasgon wrote:
    Nol-Daer is from Dungeon #13. I wrote a short wiki article on it.

...and...

bubbagump wrote:
    The Living Greyhawk scenario SHEI7-01 - Domino Theory contains considerable information about Nol-Daer, including maps. The following three scenarios also make reference to that location:
    SHE7-05 - Bones of Contention
    SHE6-06 - Steeped in Atrocity
    SHE6-02 - Brooding Boughs

-Thanks. I assume that MacDaer isn't normally on site? That would make it a bit high level.

I'll try to find the scenarios.

smillan_31 wrote:
    There's nothing on Fenrill other than its inclusion on the map of the Pomarj in Slavers. Though if you put it together with See the Pomarj and Die! from Dragon #167 you can see that the Flaming Skull orc tribe inhabits that area. They're a tribe of about 900. They frequently use burning oil as a missile weapon. Their chief is a burn-scarred (naturally) orc named Jagesh. To the south of them is the hobgoblin Dripping Eye tribe, led by a wizard named Anasiros the Elfbane. To the southwest is a Gnoll tribe, the Bleeding Moon, led by a priest of the Earth Dragon.

-Yeah, I Dragon 167, although I think that was CY 584, and I have Slavers, although that is CY 591. Things may have been different in 579, but probably not that much.

JoseFreitas wrote:
    You could make Fenrill into a small walled village with a keep, inhabited by humans of Suloise extraction who pay tribute in the form of slaves and food to the neighboring Orc tribes.

-I agree with the Suel and Flann tribesmen being common in the Suss, but the Suel in league with orcs thing is what I'm trying to avoid for Fenril(my point #3), since it's been done. Razz
    GreySage

Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:40 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:

-Thanks. I assume that MacDaer isn't normally on site? That would make it a bit high level.

The original adventure in Dungeon #13, where MacDaer was on site, was for 6-8 characters of levels 5-8.

I just wrote an article on MacDaer.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:08 pm  

Having just dug out my old copy of Dragon 57 there is the one adventure "The Wandering Trees" That might be worth converting for use in a Suss game.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:26 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:

The original adventure in Dungeon #13, where MacDaer was on site, was for 6-8 characters of levels 5-8.

I just wrote an article on MacDaer.

-Ouch. Thanks. I guess they will have to stay away from Nol-Daer for a while. Or maybe not. Evil Grin

vonbek wrote:
    Having just dug out my old copy of Dragon 57 there is the one adventure "The Wandering Trees" That might be worth converting for use in a Suss game.

-I've got that one somewhere, and it was on my "integrate this somewhere" someday list. If you set the attack on the shrine back far enough, it would be great for the Suss-Welkwood-Gnarley.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: