Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Newspapers, Journals, Printing Press?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Newspapers, Journals, Printing Press?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:25 am  
    Newspapers, Journals, Printing Press?

It would be convenient to my story line to have a couple of news papers and perhaps a journal or two.

Can anyone tell me if there are existing 'publications' in canon? Sources? Anything published out of Greyhawk City?

What about evidence of a printing press or magical alternative?

Sigurd
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:57 am  

Sterich has stationers. According to the source, a noble of the Sheldomar Valley with Stationery from Sterich is perceived as very stylish. This little nugget is found as a minor note in one of the newer modules. I think this has been mentioned in a previous forum post. I just can't find it, and I wrote it Embarassed .
    GreySage

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:24 am  

Living Greyhawk introduced the Greyhawk Grumbler, a newspaper in Greyhawk City (Google it). There's also the Sinchaser Report in Alhaster.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 am  
    Pathfinder Magic Item

I apologize if this really belongs in the 3.x forum but I wanted to keep it together.

Gnomish Tall Desk Between 30 and 100 desktops set into a ponderous tower with a gnome seated and scribing at the uppermost. Everything the gnome does, writing. drawing, mistakes, inspiration etc... is repeated on similar pages on each desktop below.

Each additional desk could add 2 to 3 feet to the tower so I expect the item to be roughly 100ft high and either have 1 or two banks of desktops. Not exactly portable.

If I assume the structure cost 1000gld and the spell needed is fabricate (I think this is overkill but this is a quality product) the final cost from the Pathfinder equation is 91000 gp. & 9th level caster with Craft Wondrous Item.

What do people think the sort of price should be for this? Fabricate could potentially be any material so I am thinking that restricting this to ink on paper\parchment would be a huge limitation.

The thing would have some prestidigitation to position and\or move out the lower pages. It would not be able to make magic scrolls or items and would likely require 2 operators and a trained scribe\artist. It would still require all the materials to run and any scribing mistakes would still happen.

Do people think a round figure of 20k for the tall desk at 50 copies and 25k for the tall desk at 100copies would be reasonable?

Most of these things would be made for political purposes. Even the construction cost of 10 or 13kgp would be far more than it could recoup financially.

I'm just ballparking.

Of course a printing press would be cheaper but wouldn't feel right IMHO.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:12 pm  

JHSII wrote:
    Ok, so now I've got to develop a new spell that will allow the creation of newspapers and magazines. I'll give it some thought over the next couple of days...

I think Fabricate and a scribe\artist roll would be simple enough. A specialized spell might lower the level and reduce the volume of stuff crafted.

I'd be careful with a spell like that though - potential to change the game world.

S
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm  

Perhaps a less fantastic approach is possible. After all, newsheets were circulating in Europe by the 15th century. While moveable type would be a little out of place IMHO, perhaps wood-block printing would not be. Of course, the big question is just how literate is your version of Greyhawk. I tend to limited literacy (even for some of the characters). Wikipedia has a good article on the histroy of printing and newspapers which even talks about their circulation.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: