JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Saltmarsh
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Saltmarsh
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon May 10, 2010 6:09 pm  
    Saltmarsh

I am looking to knock the dust off some of my old modules and give em a run, I dont think I have ever actually played or DM'd the U series so are there any tips before I lead my players into Saltmarsh and Dunwater.

Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am  

Man, I have run the crap out of this module several times. Basically what I can advise is reading it over and over until you firmly memorize the modules so you can use the NPC's to their best.

Of all the times I have run the adventure never once has it ended where it was supposed to. They either flee from the smugglers or burn the ship down on accident, etc.

As for Dunwater, you really have to get a good origin for the PC's before that module. The point of it is not conquest or plunder, rather diplomacy. Establishing the "might makes right" religion of the lizardmen will clear up the necessity of killing them in order to get to their leader to negotiate.

Building a convincing town is the hardest part. Make a good Saltmarsh.

The most recent time I ran them featured the Viscount of Salinmoor hiring the PC's to subtly enforce his will to the people thus interfering with the control over the region held by the merchant class.

Good stuff.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 am  

Lots of U-series activity it seems. You may find this link of interest:

Postfest VIII(UPF1): Seaton & Salinmoor

Tue May 11, 2010 3:23 am  

The 3.5 ed Dungeon Masters Guide II has a section detailing the city of Saltmarsh some years after the U series. It's full of npcs, most of whom would have been there at the time of the U series, has some pretty good story hooks for a long term campaign and it's also easy enough to convert to whatever edition that you are using.

Hope this helps,

Damien.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 11, 2010 5:02 am  

I didn't like the DMG II Saltmarsh. It was way too big, for one. There are also many references to the adventures already having been completed, such as the Lizardfolk Consulate.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 am  
    Saltmarsh

I have been reading U1 and is it just me or is the haunted house section really a worthless little adventure. I mean the monsters are over powered (Green Slimes, and Stirges in a first level Module) and there are some nasty traps (ie. the rot grubs) for no real reward (the platemail +1 is nice but you run the risk of killing half the party to get it) The ghost ship is alot better but the haunted house is just terrible.

On the subject of the house if the town deeds it to the players the players are responsible for repairing it and for land taxes in the future right? As a Dm how do you handle taxing the pc's

Tue May 11, 2010 8:49 am  

Yeah, I understand what you mean about the entry being too long but I just gave it a second look and a fair amount of the material is worth using. Btw I did mention that the DMGII entry occurs after the adventure Smile, and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. It gives the GM an opportunity to lay the groundwork for a lengthy campaign set over many years. That appeals to me for one.

Damien.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 am  

Well, within the module are the words, "This is a thinking man's adventure."

I always assumed that meant that you avoid or control conflicts. I have run the module several times and have never had a fatality anywhere save for the Sea Ghost encounter...and I am not an easy DM.
    Master Greytalker

Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 am  

I converted the DMGII version into the much larger town of Seaton but there are several problems with it as they only used PHB deities. I'm certainly no comfortable with a lizardman consulate but if you staff it with human or halfling rangers and druids who represent the swamp-folk it becomes less odd. If you change the temples to some sea-related deities it also works quite well. Some of the original pre-gen pcs are now npcs.

Saltmarsh should be smaller though. LG also ran a Saltmarsh campaign. I'm sure there are some tidbits that could be useful in there too. Plus there are a couple of articles on this site that cover some background (a Keoish intelligence report on the Hold of the Sea Princes springs to mind).
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 12, 2010 8:01 am  

I used deities Osprem, Xerbo, and Procan as the "Sea Lords" in Saltmarsh. Most people worshiped worshipped all three of them.

Phaulkon also had a small shrine in Burle.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: