JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A sickness, DM/GM burn out
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    A sickness, DM/GM burn out
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:19 pm  
    A sickness, DM/GM burn out

Just wondering how many of you have had the "burn out" from running a game. I have two adventures on going,trying to get my web page set up, working on two modules for my web site, work is kicking my @#$ for it is the end of our fiscal year, putting hardwood floors in the home, and of course have to spend time with the girlfriend. Sad
    Now everyone will say i have too much on my plate and i have to agree. I run my two adventures every other tuesday night. I have cancelled the last two weeks and not looking forword to next week. I am still having fun, but this is the first time that i can remember that I'm not looking forword to DM'ing.
    Any one has a good remedy for what ails me?
    Forum Moderator

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 am  

Hm, competition for time is never easy, and truly isn't the cause of burnout for me. Priorities are what they are. Now if you have your game sessions in a routine and you're dreading them it could be a couple things I have recently faced:

1. Burn out for the game system used. I loved 3.5 and still do like to run it, but the players broke it hard with their tweaks so I got tired of keeping up with their antics. When things are taken for granted they lose their appeal. Remedy, find a new game system but use same game world. That worked well for me, though I had alot of converting to do on the fly. But it did take the players out of their element and kinda set things back to square one which was fun.

2. Burnout from effort. Sometimes you can put 110% into a game and feel like you're only getting 50% back in fun. There's alot of distractions nowadays for players. My main ire is iPhones at the table. Sometimes you can never be sure if the players are into it as much as you are, so getting feedback is essential to keeping you from burning out. If the players are having fun and talking the game you will be more likely to look forward to your next session. If the highlight was managing to get through one minor encounter w/o a sidetrack then you'll be dreading the same next time. So however you can get it, ask the players for feedback or even start talking up the next session while you're closing up to get them intrigued to come back. (like a preview for next TV episode) Any last minute comments from players then could fuel your inspiration for the downtime work you put in.

That's just two of the things on my mind on a weekly basis.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:37 am  

Really weird.

Been away from the site for a while and, upon popping in for a quick peek, stumbled on this thread and mort's eerily relevent comments in point 1 above.

My campaign shuddered to a halt 6 months ago when I, as DM, somewhat belatedly realised I was totally fed up with the system I was using; I won't bore you with details because it is a long winded tale. Suffice to say little seeds of discontent grew into a mighty oak of total dissatisfaction.

I have now settled on a new system which has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for the hobby as I contemplate how to fit it into the context of my GH. Not an entirely happy ending for me as I suspect that I am unlikely to reconvene with my old group although I still have the game I run for my youngest son.

baronzemo, if you have a loyal and enthusiastic group of players a change of system, as suggested by mort, may be a good move. Although it does take a while to convert things of course. There really is no solution to the time angle for any of us.

Now, if mort could solve that little problem I wouldn't just hail him as a very wise man but a god.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:58 pm  

As a former (now retired!) success coach I ran into this sort of problem in all sorts of contexts. I'll spare you the full set of speeches (and my exorbitant fee!) and just throw out a few suggestions I and lots of others have found useful:

1.) Never forget why you're doing what you're doing. Why are you playing the game at all? Is it because you love DMing or is it because you like socializing with the players? Is it the design process you like, the tactical interplay of PCs and monsters, or something else? Once you figure out why you're playing, you can focus on that aspect and minimize the others. In my former group socializing was the most important thing, so when I had to quit DMing we settled on just hanging out from time to time - and it's working out very well. When I found I missed the designing/writing aspects of the game but was still burned out on DMing, I just started writing - you don't need a group for that.

2.) Don't be afraid to take a break. If you need a rest, then take one. Not gaming for a week, a month, or even years doesn't mean you're quitting altogether. In fact, you'll likely find that when you return to gaming you'll be a better DM than before.

3.) Prioritize. If you don't have time for something or are having a hard time squeezing it in, then your plate is too crowded. Give something up. Life is meant to be lived, not crammed full of junk. If your life is too full, you're hurting yourself, your players, and everyone else around you. Similar to #1 above, figure out what's really important to you and then focus on that.

4.) I could go on like this for hours...

The point is, if you don't like the way things are going then change it. Do something different, even if that means quitting for a while. It's not the end of the world, and you can always start again later. After all, we're talking about gaming here, not breathing.
    GreySage

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:03 pm  

Amen! Happy

See? Even acolytes of Tharizdun can have "words of wisdom" now and again. Evil Grin

In truth, I've often found Bubbagump's advice helpful to me in real life. All you have to do is listen and apply it in your own life Cool

Mort and Ragr offered some real good advice as well. So nothing to add on my part. Wink
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: