Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - May I have access to the Greyhawk wiki please?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki
    May I have access to the Greyhawk wiki please?
    Novice

Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:48 pm  
    May I have access to the Greyhawk wiki please?

Thanks

http://canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=45

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:16 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, Shane. Looking forward to future wiki contributions from you. Happy

As has been stated elsewhere, new accounts to the wiki can only be obtained from Gary Holian, a.k.a. PSmedger. I'll try to locate his contact information for you. Right now all my stuff is packed away. But I'll find it again (its on the site somewhere too) and post it here for you. Cool

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:26 am  

Thank you for the totally excellent welcome! I mean this sincerely because most forums will not even acknowledge even your existence unless of course you post something in violation of their rules. Thanks for trying to locate the elusive Mr Holian. Being the adventurous [and often foolish] sort I *did* poke around the site but could not find much else that would assist me in getting reg'd.

Now if only I can get my silly sig to work right lol

Shane/Alastair

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Welcome to Canonfire!, Shane. Looking forward to future wiki contributions from you. Happy

As has been stated elsewhere, new accounts to the wiki can only be obtained from Gary Holian, a.k.a. PSmedger. I'll try to locate his contact information for you. Right now all my stuff is packed away. But I'll find it again (its on the site somewhere too) and post it here for you. Cool

Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:27 pm  

Shane1B, if you're still waiting, here is Gary's profile. He should be abl to set you up: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=PSmedger

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:23 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    Shane1B, if you're still waiting, here is Gary's profile. He should be abl to set you up: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=PSmedger

I am and thank you. I will go to his profile. :)

Thanks

Shane

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:25 pm  

Robbastard wrote:

I checked his profile and as I am new to this board perhaps I saw no way to contact him. Again thanks mate and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shane
    GreySage

Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 am  

Did you click on the [ Send a Private Message to PSmedger ] link? Happy

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:12 pm  

Me too, thank you!
    I wanted to ad a pic of Fraz-urb'luu from the Tsojcanth module.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:04 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

The forum signup proceedure needs to be looked at, as what you and other forum users are saying here does not match up with the instructions on the wiki itself.

It still says this on the wiki homepage:

Quote:
    Signing up

• In order to fight spam, new accounts have been disabled. If you'd like a new account, please post in our forum and request one.

I'm actually really impressed with how The Great Library of Greyhawk/Greyhawk Wiki has stopped the spammers and I'm trying to help two other wikis copy what you are doing here. But this part of the process is not quite ironed out and I think that is going to keep causing confusion until the people involved (Gary and the wiki team) agree on something and get the same information onto both the wiki and a the forum for the wiki.

Obviously those instructions are going to lead people to believe that they need to come to this forum. When they get here it isn't obvious what to do, so they are starting up duplicate threads asking the same question.

I would first suggest that the moderator of this forum makes a sticky thread ("If you want a wiki account, read this thead" perhaps) and that the wiki is pointed directly at that thread instead of at the subforum itself.

Secondly, from what I can tell, Gary Holian is a busy man. He does not seem to spend a lot of time on the wiki and he has not had the time to answer a form PM I sent him asking for advice on how to replicate the Media Wiki settings that lock down a wiki. So I have to ask: is it really sensible to be telling everyone to PM him (and giving him extra work to deal with)?

Surely there must be a way for Gary to set things up so that one or two of the most trusted workers on the wiki can do this for him. Surely people could drop an account request in a thread and one of them could set up the account and post a reply saying "The activation email is in the post".

I've done some research, trying to figure the settings out for myself, and it looks like a sysop can make new accounts for users on a locked down wiki. All they need is a username and an email address. For the people on the two wikis that are trying to copy this process, we were thinking that you could just copy the user name from the forum and that if the email address was not displayed by the forum you could request it via PM.

But even if you didn't want to take this second step (and have some wiki volunteers take over the donkey work from Gary) I still think tht there should be a sticky thread that gives a link to Gary's profile, tells them how to get the PM feature to work and also gives them a list of any information that Gary wants them to send him.

Until that is done, people are going to carry on starting up new threads asking to open a wiki account. And you can't really blame them for it as they are being sent here to ask. But it is wasting the time of the users and also the time of the people referring people onto Gary, so I hope that someone can get the forum mods and the wiki team to work on this and improve the procedure. (And I hope that Gary has the time to look into the possibility of appointing a couple of Sysops that can watch this forum, actively seek out would be editors and speed up the process of getting non-spammers onto the wiki.)

The Great Library of Greyhawk and Canonfire! are both awesome things and it would be a shame if confusion about the sign up process caused one or two people to give up the idea of contributing. Even small edits (like correcting a typo) can help over the long term. I think that anyone with any level of interest in Greyhawk should join up, read, learn and help to whatever level they can (no matter how small).
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    GreySage

Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:41 pm  

As far as I know, he never checks this forum, and he hasn't granted any new accounts since he locked the wiki down. Your best chance may be to grab him during the Thursday night IRC chats.

Or just make your own wiki.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:59 am  

rasgon wrote:
    As far as I know, he never checks this forum, and he hasn't granted any new accounts since he locked the wiki down. Your best chance may be to grab him during the Thursday night IRC chats.

That is a real shame as it breaks the process. Luckily for me, I was already signed up.

rasgon wrote:
    Or just make your own wiki.

I've actually got my own wiki...although it isn't about Greyhawk!Wink

It would be really sad if people were forced to work on another wiki. Cry

There are some hard-working staff on the wiki, and I believe that if Gary Holian promoted one (or two) of them to Sysop, they would be able to create accounts and keep the spammers out.
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Great Library of Greyhawk Wiki All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: