ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Is this real?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Is this real?
    GreySage

Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm  
    Is this real?

Good God!

I’m looking over the module “The Temple of the Sun” by Bill Silvey, WotC, 2004.

His description of the Sea of Dust is that of an average desert. He refers to the "Empire of Suel" and again the "Suloise Empire" and the "Invoked Destruction of the Rain of Colorless Fire."

I mean, it is still the Invoked Devestation as opposed to The Rain of Colorless Fire . . . right? Not to mention the proper name being the Suel Imperium . . . yes?

And you’re traveling -- on horseback mind you (although camels are recommended) -- to the Forgotten City -- which still sticks up from the "desert sands," by the way -- to a temple of Xan Yae! Really? Xan Yae? A Baklunish goddess was worshipped in the Suel Imperium?

And how do the Baklunish know about the artifact? Confused

Have an accurate map leading to the Forgotten City? Confused

An accurate map of the Forgotten City? Confused

Does the Scarlet Brotherhood know about any of this? What about the Silent Ones of Keoland?

The temple is inhabited by an Ogre Mage, leading Ratmen in a war with the firenewts from the city. And, of course, there is the obligatory Red Dragon threatening everything.

This “terrible” and “old red dragon” has a whopping 66 hit points. Only 66 hit points? In the module “The Tower of Lore,” set in the Duchy of Urnst, you meet two Athach, that each have 133 hit points. The dragon also has 6 -- count them -- 6 spells available. Shocked

And, incidentally, your journey through the Sultanate of Zeif, across the Dry Steppes, over the Sulhuat Mountains and into the Sea of Dust is . . . uneventful. Uneventful? OMG!!!

This was written in 2004!? OMG!!!

And “we” are wanting these guys to turn their attention back to WoG? Good God man! Let them stay lost in Faerun for mercy’s sake! We can write better stuff here!

Does anybody know if Bill Silvey is related to Rose Estes or something? It’s a cinch he doesn’t ever read Canonfire!

Where the HELL is Gary Holian? GARY!!!

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 pm  

Well first its a tournament module written in 04 for Recon 04, and its written for advanced rules not 2nd edition thats when dragons began to gain in power.
    As far as the whole story line about Xan Yae and the Suel imperium, I would just say it was thrown together because of the names and of course because it was a tournament module so time would be limited in play.
    Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:41 pm  

Quote:
    And, incidentally, your journey through the Sultanate of Zeif, across the Dry Steppes, over the Sulhuat Mountains and into the Sea of Dust is . . . uneventful. Uneventful? OMG!!!

That part is most insulting to me!

I'm kind of glad I never saw that adventure now.
    GreySage

Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:07 pm  

king_joshua wrote:
    Well first its a tournament module written in 04 for Recon 04.

I guess any reason for not getting the names of places and events right works, huh? And placing the temple of a goddess of the enemy within the capital city of the Imperium was just a mistake that anyone could have made, yes?

These are supposed to be WotC people writing a WotC product. What? No pride in their work? Such a lack of attention to details important to the setting is exactly why we don't need them writing for Greyhawk. I suggest that haphazard work is all that they are capable of any more.

Quote:
    That part is most insulting to me!

Yeah, traveling -- what? -- a thousand miles without being attacked by anything does give the impression of a rather "uneventful" world of "supposed" adventure, doesn't it?

But we all know that nothing ever happens in Ull anyway. Laughing

I feel for you, Mort. I really do! No, you're not missing anything by being unfamiliar with this particular module.

Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:00 pm  

Dude, this was a free, fan-produced 1E module, not a published WOTC product. Did you actually read it? I agree that placing a temple of Xan Yae in the Forgotten City was a major gaff, but none of your other points hold water. Gygax himself used the terms "Empire of Suel" and "Suloise Empire". The 66-hp red dragon is accurate for AD&D®, the system for which the module was written, and the author explicitly states, "... the long journey from the Sultanate of Zeif, across the Dry Steppes and Sulhaut Mountains need not be uneventful; entire adventures can be planned to occur therein." The 14-page tournament module only covers the temple itself, not the entire campaign. I can only hope that other would-be contributors are not put off by such ungrateful criticism.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:57 pm  

I do not actually require evidence to believe wotc would fail to produce anything for GH worth my time. Hell, most of the Greyhawk stuff released since 2nd edition I have passed on ever getting.

As far as I am concerned there is more than enough good GH stuff so that I will never require any more "official" content.

Besides, there is all of us making good stuff every so often.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:44 am  

Bill Silvey has written quite a few things. It is important to keep some things in context. Considering that this is a tournament module, the journey to the site need necessarily be uneventful, as any events that could or would have occurred on the way there are irrelevant. Think of it like A1: Slave Pits of the Undercity. Do you think that anybody's trip to Highport, let alone in and around Highport, would be uneventful? How about the overland trips assumed to be undertaken in the heart of the Pomarj in the sequels? Not likely. It doesn't matter though, as with tournament modules that is not the point of things. A simple "After a harrowing journey, you have made it to the city of Highport." will suffice. Now, compare the original A series tournament format to an actual adventure format, in this case Scourge of the Slave Lords. It is a very different, being more fleshed out, and even this can be fleshed out even further of course.

Beyond that, finding temples of "foreign gods"(this is a funny term actually) in other lands is not uncommon. With Xan Yae's unique portfolio, she might well fit into some place in the Suel Empire where such things as the quest for mental and physical perfection(and being a sneaky bugger) is something that is highly valued and greatly sought after. Beyond that, race is a limiting factor for a deity. The more "enlightened" Suel may be cognizant of that, and so choose to think of Xan Yae as not being a Baklunish deity but rather a deity mostly worshiped by the Baklunish. That most Suel would disagree with such a strange idea(rather violently most likely), it is not of much consequence in the grand scheme of things, unless of course such social tension would be a focal point of the adventure. Laughing

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:11 am  

Lolth only had 66 hit points in Q1. Adventurers might have made a map to the city without it becoming known to many. In a tournament module, you necessarily have to summarize the background to get the PCs to the action. The Suloise empire doesn't have a standard, proper name.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:11 pm  

This has certainly been enlightening. And I thank everyone for their corrections to my knowledge, understanding and for my continued enlightenment! (Still makes me glad that I've never participated in tournament play though) Wink

DMPrata wrote:
    I can only hope that other would-be contributors are not put off by such ungrateful criticism.

Sorry you took it so personally, DMPrata, that was not my intention. But, as I understand it, I do not owe the "modern" Hasbro/WotC my gratitude. The creation of the WoG that I played in the '70's and '80's and still love, was accomplished by "others." So, why would I be grateful to Hasbro/WotC, or their current employees? I'm not a "fan" of the latest rule set, nor of the newest fantasy settings. (Though I appreciate that many here are, to each his own)

The Bill Silvey module I read shows a lack of attention to some details. (But only some as I have been shown here) Details which I consider important and think would be second nature to a true Greyhawk fan. I like to know that Greyhawk fans are writing Greyhawk material and not people who are simply paid to do so.

I can only hope that all contributors are willing to pay at least a little attention to the details. No one needs to be that "rushed."

Though I now see that there are not as many "mistakes" as I originally assumed, (my apologies to Bill Silvey) I cannot see Rasgon or Robbastard making such mistakes, no matter how "rushed" either of them might be in completing the writing thereof.

I will always "see" it that way.

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    Though I now see that there are not as many "mistakes" as I originally assumed, (my apologies to Bill Silvey) I cannot see Rasgon or Robbastard making such mistakes

I didn't write you any free modules, either. I for one am willing to put up with a few easily ignorable errors for the sake of free.

Also note that it wasn't made by WotC/Hasbro.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:49 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    I didn't write you any free modules, either . . . Also note that it wasn't made by WotC/Hasbro.

My apologies for referencing you.

My apologies to WotC/Hasbro.

And again, my apologies to Bill Silvey . . . I hope he's canonized.

And now I'm finished.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:01 pm  

Who is Bill Silvey?
    GreySage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:16 pm  

Absolutely NO idea. But he apparently writes FREE modules, for which I am ungrateful.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:12 pm  

I wonder what the cost:tolerance ratio is for crappy supplements?

It's like the impulse purchase .pdf at RPG Now. "A .pdf of one-hundred arbitrary gamer opinions! It's only $.99!"

I bet there's money to be made making random crap .pdfs for sale for a dollar online. Just whip out five pages of stupid. If you make a dime, you're profiting, there's no overhead!

I want to write a Greyhawk Adventure, for free, where every time you open a door some reputed GH NPC nay says and tells you leave. At the end you get the rod of seven parts fashioned into a ballista bolt but Mordy shows up and takes it.

And because its free, I am going to put Erik Mona's name on the cover. Not in any context, just put it there.

I am going to call it,

Elminster in Greyhawk - The Orb of the Asymmetrical Modron

I believe that should set the standard for free=crap.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:21 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    My apologies for referencing you.

It's okay! And no offense intended. It's just that, while I am indeed completely awesome, I don't write modules as often as I'd like, and writing modules is a lot more work than getting canon right. It seems easy to correct "the invoked devastation of the rain of colorless fire" with the proper terminology, but significantly harder to write the module in the first place. It might be a terrible module or an awesome module; I haven't read it.
    GreySage

Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:30 am  

rasgon wrote:
    And no offense intended. It's just that, while I am indeed completely awesome

Thanks. And personally, I do think you're awesome. Wink Happy

Wish I had your knowledge of all things Greyhawk. Cool

I feel Mr. Silvey was "rushed" to get this module written in time for the tournament. He should have started his work "a little sooner."

And given that the Suloise and Baklunish hated each other so much that they deliberately tried to eradicate each other from the face of Oerth, (think Nazi vs Jew here) I think he could have made a better choice than Xan Yae. Evil Grin

And Chaotic, my friend, for $0.99 -- I'll buy all the crappy modules you can write! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 am  

I should totally take advantage of this.
    GreySage

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 pm  

chaoticprime wrote:
    I should totally take advantage of this.

Yes you should! Evil Grin Laughing

Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:33 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    I didn't write you any free modules, either.

Keep your attention on the WIKI! Exclamation Shocked Evil Grin

And we'll all be very grateful! Laughing

Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:12 pm  

I now feel guilty for not having written any free modules. :D
    GreySage

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:19 am  

Robbastard wrote:
    I now feel guilty for not having written any free modules. :D

As I told Rasgon . . . keep your undivided attention upon the WIKI!!! Evil Grin

And we'll all be very grateful. Wink Laughing

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:34 am  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    king_joshua wrote:
    Well first its a tournament module written in 04 for Recon 04.

I guess any reason for not getting the names of places and events right works, huh? And placing the temple of a goddess of the enemy within the capital city of the Imperium was just a mistake that anyone could have made, yes?

Pardon the leap in logic here, but I can see how -- plausibly it could have happened:

In Roman history (I'm going somewhere with this and did remember to take my meds :) ) there was a wartime religious rite called (IIRC) "Invocatio", where Roman Fetial priests would, during the siege of a town or a war with an enemy state, call upon the enemy's protecting deities and ask them to "defect", promising the deities that they would be set up alongside the Roman pantheon and worshipped along with their native gods (this is how said pantheon ballooned to an almost ridiculous degree by the coming of the Empire).

It might be possible that the Suel did the same thing -- think of it this way: Greyhawk is a world in which the presence of the divine is not just a matter of faith but a palpable and very direct experience. It may be that the Suel had tried a play for Xan Yae and other Baklunish gods just to get them on their side so as to more easily tear the Baklunish apart. The temple may have been a holdover remnant of that failed attempt to draw the Baklunish pantheon to the side of the Suel through divine bribery.
    GreySage

Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 am  

Nice, Pat_Payne. Very nice. And completely plausible. Wink

Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:28 pm  

First, apologies for the thread necromancy. But I'm rereading the Guide to the World of Greyhawk (the glorious boxed edition from 1983) and found something bearing on the discussion that may explain (partially) one of the errors Mystic-Scholar noted. In the timeline on page 9, in "A Brief History of Eastern Oerik," is the following entry for S.D. 5069: "Invoked Devastation of Rain of Colorless Fire strike." Now clearly that's an error ("of" for "and") not caught in the editorial process, and a reader more familiar with the setting would catch it easily, if not unconsciously correct it. But a less familiar author might well take the phrase at face value, if using this table as a reference. That doesn't explain the change to "Destruction" from "Devastation," but at least might explain "of" for "and."

Curiously, this same timeline contains other errors, and a line that famously confused another later author - the entry for CY 573 includes "Prince of Furyondy/Provost of Veluna kidnapped," referring to the joint offices held by Prince Thrommel. I recall someone (Sargent?) interpreting that to mean two different people were kidnapped...

Anyway. If Gygax could make or at least miss this particular error, I'm not too surprised that someone else did too.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 am  

Chevalier wrote:
    First, apologies for the thread necromancy...

-Actually, I'd rather re-use and old thread than have information scattered through half a dozen. Makes searching easier! Wink Laughing

Chevalier wrote:
    ...In the timeline on page 9, in "A Brief History of Eastern Oerik," is the following entry for S.D. 5069: "Invoked Devastation of Rain of Colorless Fire strike." Now clearly that's an error ("of" for "and") not caught in the editorial process, and a reader more familiar with the setting would catch it easily, if not unconsciously correct it. But a less familiar author might well take the phrase at face value, if using this table as a reference. That doesn't explain the change to "Destruction" from "Devastation," but at least might explain "of" for "and."

...Anyway. If Gygax could make or at least miss this particular error, I'm not too surprised that someone else did too.

-Hmmm.... That was 1983, when editing was crappy. Standards have improved (well, I'd hope...).

Pat_Payne wrote:
    ...Pardon the leap in logic here, but I can see how -- plausibly it could have happened:

In Roman history (I'm going somewhere with this and did remember to take my meds :) ) there was a wartime religious rite called (IIRC) "Invocatio", where Roman Fetial priests would, during the siege of a town or a war with an enemy state, call upon the enemy's protecting deities and ask them to "defect", promising the deities that they would be set up alongside the Roman pantheon and worshipped along with their native gods (this is how said pantheon ballooned to an almost ridiculous degree by the coming of the Empire).

It might be possible that the Suel did the same thing -- think of it this way...

-I'm with M-S. This is good, although my first thought was that a Bakluni force had occupied the Forgotten City after the RoCF.
    Novice

Sat May 31, 2014 4:33 pm  

I'm committing some threadomancy here but, considering that I am the person in question I guess I can answer a four year old thread with some prejudice, yes?

Anyway...

Firstly, let me address the "issue": I write for one rule system and one rule system only and that is 1st edition AD&D as Gary laid down. I might throw a pinch or two from Unearthed Arcana in but there won't be, say, things from Manual of the Planes. I might draw from some 2e sources - well, an author who wrote some 2e Greyhawk and that's Rob Kuntz's work in Greyhawk Adventures.

So, yes, a 66 hit-point dragon is a threat.

I've always felt fleshing out the details an overland adventure to the "locale" where the adventure happens is the purview of the Dungeon Master, not the module author. Where would the DM like the players to start? In Zeif? The City of Greyhawk? The Hold of Stonefist? Another plane entirely? I could write a New York City sized phonebook just trying to cover a fraction of the possible adventures that could be had on the way from a single location in Greyhawk to the Forgotten City.

G1 doesn't detail every trail, side-cave, cliff and so on from Gorna to the Steading - that's the DM's job for his or her particular campaign.

This module was originally the dungeon section only, run as a convention module (not a "tournament"; I had eight enthusiastic players for eight hours over two days). Some history behind it bears comment...other than DD1 and DD2, I had no "experience" with writing a full-length module when I set fingers to keyboard to write WGH2 TEMPLE OF THE SUN. The (brief) scenario outlined in the original dungeon raid - a search for the various things that would unlock the relic, the fights against the annis, the umber hulks, and so on - were easily playable a- in a short span of time (longer than I'd suspected, however!) and b- with the amount of miniatures and Dwarven Forge terrain I owned. This particular convention series is hosted by a wargames society and they insist that even "alt-games" (as they still view RPGs) must have at least a miniatures element, so I seized upon the opportunity to showcase some 3d dungeon terrain and use as much of it as I had (a few boxes, although now my collection is somewhat considerably larger).

A Forgotten City, deep in the desert, with a treasure - a relic of power?! Surely there are endless adventure possibilities...one is brought to mind of fabled Tanis and the Lost Ark of the Covenant...

As to an icon of Xan Yae, and indeed a temple devoted to her - who knows? Yes, I put little thought in to it. It was 2004; I was a new father, and already pressed for time on a day-to-day basis, I needed to quickly create an adventure to run for a group of people who, save one, I had never met before (I didn't even know if I'd have attendees; as it was I offered six slots to players, I had eight show and had to quickly create 2 more pregenerated characters for the other two folks, all while trying to set up my table and so on), so a delve into a dungeon for a minor artifact it was.

That would be where it ended, except a couple of years later, I had an opportunity to go work for an RPG company that will remain nameless (not one of the "big ones" and absolutely not Wizards of the Coast I assure you). The editor in chief/head honcho at the company asked if I had a manuscript totaling about twenty thousand words I could show him as a writing sample. I said, sure, I have one that needs a little clean-up, I'll get it to you Monday (this discussion happening on a Friday). What I had were the notes and maps (and few they were) for Temple of the Sun the convention adventure. So using that as a basis I sat down and began to write, and write, and write into the evening, the morning, the following day, and into Sunday evening with a quick spell-check, grammar skim, maps sketched up and the whole thing sent away Monday morning.

For reasons that had nothing to do with the Greyhawk content, the company and I could not come to terms and the opportunity passed. However, I'd put a lot of energy into the project, and so I offered the initial MS and (badly) hand drawn maps as a download on my website. Later I acquired some donated artwork for the covers, and someone was kind enough to put together far better maps, and I bundled the lot up as a .PDF and posted it up. Sadly I don't have the means to tell how many times it may have ever been downloaded; I get little enough feedback from the internet at large so I'm not sure it's ever gotten much traction. However, I was satisfied with the work and, with a few occasional corrections here and there kept it as-is; dragon, firenewts, ogre-mage...the lot.

I won't apologize or make excused for the "mistake" of having a temple to Xan Yae in that part of the world except to say perhaps it is an exercise to the Dungeon Master to flesh out the city and legends thereof and explain why She had a temple - perhaps a group of outlander cultists established it, or escaped slaves, or possibly like Tanis it was no temple at all but a treasure stolen from the distant east and brought to the City as a prize, but dooming it in turn by the Goddess' wrath.

I appreciate that you are all die-hard fans of Greyhawk, and to many of you it's like having a couple of Tusken Raiders roaming around inside the Death Star in Star Wars or a jaunty pirate walking alongside Rico's Roughnecks in Starship Troopers, a Terminator in a Louis Lamour novel, etc.

For those of you who enjoyed the module nonetheless, thank you for your consideration and positive criticism, I appreciate your feedback.

P.S., like all my adventure modules, yes, this one was free. So are the rest of the WGH series; you might find WGH3-5, the "Howling Hills" series of interest.

-Bill Silvey
    GreySage

Sat May 31, 2014 8:59 pm  

Thanks for posting, Bill. We do appreciate the insight.

Oh, and please consider submitting your next free adventure for publication in The Canonfire! Chronicles. Wink

SirXaris

Sat May 31, 2014 9:11 pm  

Thanks for replying (and for being gracious regarding the rabid Greyhawk fandom Laughing). Not often do we get more than the barest glimpse into the method behind one's madness. And, not everyone writes with the aim of sticking with what is considered to be "Greyhawk canon", as campaigns differ greatly from one to the next, and everyone knows this. If somebody wants to make use of something "prepackaged", anything contained therein that doesn't suit them can simply be changed, the upside being one doesn't have to start completely from scratch. So, know that while you can't please all of the people all of the time (an unreasonable goal to be sure), you please a good deal of them, and so carry on with what you are doing. Cool

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Novice

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:01 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    Thanks for posting, Bill. We do appreciate the insight.

Oh, and please consider submitting your next free adventure for publication in The Canonfire! Chronicles. Wink

SirXaris

Thanks for the welcome. I wasn't sure how responding to a 4 year old post would go...! But I felt addressing the criticism was du jour.

The next series of modules - the "P" series - will be a bit of a departure, but I think in the overall it should be a good adventure or two.

I may well do a short adventure every now and again; I have a few ideas in mind...I will keep you all notified.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: