ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - erac's cousin alignament
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    erac's cousin alignament
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:36 pm  
    erac's cousin alignament

hi amigos!

long time since my last visit. after some great adventures (4 years of adventure :D ) in GH, we took a break, changed all to dark sun, aplyd some adventures inspired by Spartacus tv series, and now here i am!

back to the best GH forum \o/

now, to my question:

Ernie Gygax charatcer, Erac's Cousin, is said to be lawful good (scott's forum).

but here, at paul stormberg site ( here), he mention that eracs cousin was evil. i cant see in his character record.

so, what do you think?

thanks in advance, its great to see you guys here again ;)
    GreySage

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:45 pm  

Erac's Cousin started out as lawful good. He became lawful evil after he made a pact with Baalzebul. He'd blamed his former god (apparently Zeus, though this was the result of a random die roll) for refusing to save him from Fraz'Urb-luu, and turned against everything he once believed in.

He's lawful evil in the Rogues Gallery.

The complete story is recounted in Oerth Journal #5. See also here.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:50 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    Erac's Cousin started out as lawful good. He became lawful evil after he made a pact with Baalzebul. He'd blamed his former god (apparently Zeus, though this was the result of a random die roll) for refusing to save him from Fraz'Urb-luu, and turned against everything he once believed in.

He's lawful evil in the Rogues Gallery.

The complete story is recounted in Oerth Journal #5. See also here.

oh, i see, thanks.
    i just thought there was something wrong, and didn consider that both could be right :D

ernie seems to have told paul that the rogue gallery have a lot of wrong stuff (as usual)
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:41 pm  

rossik wrote:

ernie seems to have told paul that the rogue gallery have a lot of wrong stuff (as usual)

He may claim that it's "wrong," but those are the official 1E stats. From what I've read, many of the stats in the Rogue's Gallery are "wrong" because the people who played those characters refused to release the actual stats that they played with. If that's Ernies beef, he should release the "real" stats instead of bitching.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:27 am  

I think those guys have a genuine beef. Imagine the scene c. 1980. The TSR editorial staff says, "Hey, we want to release a supplement detailing PCs from the various Lake Geneva campaigns. Can we have your character sheets?" Ernie, Rob, and even Gary say, "Nope, we don't want to share our characters." Nonetheless, Rogues Gallery is released with speculative information about Tenser, Robilar, Mordenkainen, and others. I'd be a little bitter too.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:52 am  

Robbastard wrote:
    rossik wrote:

He may claim that it's "wrong," but those are the official 1E stats. From what I've read, many of the stats in the Rogue's Gallery are "wrong" because the people who played those characters refused to release the actual stats that they played with. If that's Ernies beef, he should release the "real" stats instead of bitching.

no reason to talk like that, robbastard.
    ernie is not bitching, he just said what every GH fan already know.

i agree with DMPrata
    GreySage

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:24 am  

Yes, DMPrata does propose a very realistic scenario. It is -- in all likelihood -- what actually happened.

Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 am  

rossik wrote:
    Robbastard wrote:
    rossik wrote:

no reason to talk like that, robbastard.
    ernie is not bitching, he just said what every GH fan already know.

i agree with DMPrata

Hey people, before this starts getting ugly let's take a step back. Maybe people on both sides of this debate shouldn't be tossing around words like "bitching" or implying that "every" GH fan would think a certain way.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:03 am  

true, friend, true.
    sorry everyone!

i wonder if things were handled in proper way...amybe gygax and all would allow to publish their characters?

i mean, it was one of the blumes idea to publish the Rogue Gallery, no? were there any attriction, already?
    GreySage

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:18 am  

The issue, as I understand it, was simply that the characters were still being played and they didn't want other members of the gaming group being able to read Rogues Gallery and using that information to their advantage (ie, Terik mugging Tenser to get the wand of wonder the book said he had, or someone getting teased over their cursed -1 sword).

That is, the Rogues Gallery characters were different from their original characters for the same reason the published World of Greyhawk was different from the original World of Greyhawk. For lack of a better word, "spoilers."

I'm not sure that this means the characters appeared without anyone's permission, just that they were altered in accordance with their wishes.

As for getting the characters' "real" stats, that seems a bit voyeuristic to me. That was their private game and not really our business. If we want to put those characters in our games, they should have whatever stats and equipment we need them to have.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:28 am  

The Blumes had majority control of TSR at that point so there could have been some friction. Anywhere I've worked there has always been friction of some sort. The thing that gets me though is why didn't the people who wouldn't release their character's stats complain about ANY inclusion in TSR material previously. It just seems to me like kind of funny line to draw - "You can talk about Mordenkainen, but I draw the line at releasing his stats." Then if Mordenkainen is a character that already exists in the game material, why would you complain that the writers made something up when you refuse to release the "real" stats. So I do pretty much agree with Rob. But then I don't know all the details. On the other hand maybe this was the first mention of Erac's Cousin in any TSR materials and maybe Ernie just didn't want him to be included in any form. That was probably his right. I doubt these guys were signing non-disclosure and intellectual property agreements before they played.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 pm  

I just remember EGG being very evasive on GreyTalk about his reasons for not releasing the stats. It was something along the lines of "Well, I just can't understand why anyone would want to see them."
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: