JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Wonderland No More
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Wonderland No More
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:19 am  
    Wonderland No More

I picked this little gem up recently: Wonderland No More (WNM). I have long been intrigued with the Dungeonland and Land Beyond the Magic Mirror modules. However, try as I might, I never really liked them. I liked the concept, but not the execution.

What intrigues me about WNM is it's extension of the Wonderland. It is not trying to recreate Alice's experience by slightly changing things. Its that Alice had her experience, plus a few more, and Wonderland has evolved into something...darker. There is a plot point campaign that has action in both the "real" world and Wonderland. Given Earth is an alternate prime to Oerth, Wonderland can serve as a very weird gateway between them. Nothing like being a 1/2 orc barbarian that eventually finds himself on the mean streets of NYC, not that anyone would notice.

Its a Savage Worlds product, which supports cutting across multple genres nicely. I posted it here as I think conversion to any D&D system is easy enough (but if you want to be one of the Cool Kids, you should switch to Savage Worlds Cool).

In Expedition to the Ruins of Castle Greyhawk there is a small Dungeonland event. If my group ever gets that far, I likely will replace it with a bit from Wonderland No More. I might whisk them there earlier in the model for a quick one-shot then modify the plot as necessary.

Enjoy!
    GreySage

Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:17 am  

In that same vein, I highly recommend JAGS Wonderland and the Book of Knots (scroll down). As a bonus, they're free.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 pm  

Very cool posts! I love those mods and I generally love anything associated with the Wonderland stories. Even the latest movie was passable.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:41 pm  

I picked up a copy of Paizo's module 'The Harrowing', with its obvious crossover with EX1/EX2. I have to say I found it a great idea, and have finally been able to get a vision of 'Wonderland' that can fit into my Greyhawk campaign. I love the EGG Greyhawk works , but could never get Dungeonland to work without feeling goofy. That was also due to my age, but now I've returned to it and have used 'Harrowing' as a solid base that feels much more complete.
    GreySage

Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:03 am  

That's pretty interesting, Yeoman. I didn't catch that it was inspired by Lewis Carroll until I read it a second time and noticed it was a demiplane populated by characters based on images from a deck of cards, and that it's described as a "wonderland." They're subtle about it, and it sounds like they rationalized it more in high fantasy terms than the EX modules did.

It does make more sense that it'd be based on a local card deck rather than on playing cards from modern Earth.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:41 pm  

Hi Rasgon. What I liked about the Paizo idea was that they had rationalised the 'fairy tale' feel that both 'Harrowing' and 'Dungeonland' et al have, by actually writing the characters as being a story that has been brought to life in its own demi-plane. This definitely allows me to give EX1/EX2 a Greyhawk campaign place that is a little less daft, whilst still having an off-beat flavour.

I know its a little off-subject, but it looks like Golarion may have a rich vein of Greyhawk inspired material, from the team that provided a great deal of Dungeon Greyhawkishness. I am hoping to look at Cheliax for my pre-wars Horned Society, or failing that some pre-wars Great Kingdom inspiration.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: