Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Any GH content in Generic 3E novels?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Published Material Reviews & Discussion
    Any GH content in Generic 3E novels?
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 pm  
    Any GH content in Generic 3E novels?

I'm referring to the ones published in '02-03 (The Savage Caves, Oath of Nerull, etc.). Do they have anything other than names of some GH deities?
    GreySage

Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:37 am  

I don't think they even happen on anything recognizable as Oerth. The local city is called New Koratia. There was an article on the Wizards of the Coast website at the time detailing the land in which those novels took place. You can see it archived here.

Quote:
    The city of Koratia was established at the mouth of the River Delnir some eight hundred years ago on the southwestern frontier of the Kingdom of Soes...

I'm pretty sure novels that take place in something called the Kingdom of Soes have nothing to do with Greyhawk.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:28 pm  

Interesting link. Thanks Rasgon.

SKR refers to Oath of Nerull as "Greyhawk-lite" here: http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/greyhawk/greyhawk.html

and apparently did a write-up on the characters in the novel.

Anyway, I ordered some of the books and will post here if I find any tidbits.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:47 pm  

I read some of those back when they first came out. Greyhawk-light really means that they use the Greyhawk gods with little else.

At least as far as I remember.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:06 pm  

I skimmed through those old WotC articles and found the list of ghostwriters: http://web.archive.org/web/20060114174633/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/dnd/reallain
    With the possible exception of Bruce Cordell, none of them are notable GH contributors, making GH content unlikely.

This article is more interesting, detailing cults of Wee Jas, Pholtus and Nerull in the Kingdom of Soes:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20060114185133/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/dnd/deathcults
    Having priests of Nerull subvert a monastery of Pholtus is an interesting idea.

Has anyone attempted to place Soes somewhere on Oerth?
    GreySage

Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:26 pm  

I didn't read any of the novels, so no, but there are a few references to the generic 3e novels in 3e-era Dungeon Magazines. Nothing that fits specifically on Oerth, but Dungeon #84's "Dungeon of the Fire Opal" is linked vaguely to the Suss Forest, and it had an order of evil monks in it, so the Wild Coast and Greyhawk City region might work.

One of the early 3e Dragon Magazines that I was looking through the other day included an article by Bruce Cordell detailing the order of Nerull-worshiping monks in game terms. Again, no specific mentions of Greyhawk geography.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:31 am  

Johnny Wilson had an adventure call "Provincial Prior Cause" in Dungeon #96, which was presented as a lead-in to the events of "TH Lain"'s novel, The Bloody Eye. IIRC, King Ingemar of the Schnai & Ratik are mentioned, but the background is totally out of character for GH. Ingemar is presented as analogous to one of the French kings during the Crusades (Philip, I think), & the organization in the module, the Soldiers of the Sun, is very Knights Templarish. Wilson could've picked far better locations in GH to make his analogies than the Barbarian North, IMO.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Published Material Reviews & Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: