ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dwarven Stronghold
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dwarven Stronghold
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:46 am  
    Dwarven Stronghold

I would like to ask for a little help.

I was doing some research several months ago for my high level campaign and I seem to remember reading about a dwarven stronghold that was located in the Lortmils.

The hook was that the dwarven military force left to fight in the Hateful Wars leaving behind a skeletal force to defend the stronghold. While they were gone, a humanoid force overran the defenses and slattered all the inhabitants. When the military force returned, the stronghold was haunted by those they had left behind. There was more to the story but that is all I can remember and that maybe flawed as well.

I know that this is vague but I was hoping that someone would remember this note. I thought it was in Oerth Journal but I have been searching through them and cannot locate this story.

Can anyone help?

thanks
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 pm  

Sounds vaguely like the 3E (3.5E?) adventure "The Forge of Fury."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forge_of_Fury

Of course, that adventure was not specifically set in Greyhawk so it may not be at all what you're thinking about.

--Pesh
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:20 pm  

I don't think so Peshkauri, there are some undead in that adventure but its more about orcs and druegar than undead.

And you are right that it isn't strictly a Greyhawk adventure.

I been wracking my brain trying to figure out which adventure or story it might be, but I am still new to Greyhawk lore so its likely I haven't read it yet. :) I will keep thinking about it though.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:26 pm  

I think I found it. OJ # 9, p. 6. The dwarven fortress of Dorob Kilthduum. It's in the edge of the Lortmils at the headwaters of the Clearwater River, which is a tributary of the Velverdyva. This map - http://bit.ly/mZYQsL shows it although it doesn't show up in the Verbobonc Triad maps so I don't think they ever adopted it.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:32 am  

It could tie in to the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords adventure too(not a big fan of that one, but it can be ransacked for ideas at the least). Here is what the cover looks like:

Forge of Fury is set up well enough to re-task it for a higher level group of adventurers, though I would add a few more levels to it. It did this for a lower level group. I added a forge level and an even deeper cavern level which eventually led to another area of finished stone, which included further vaults and crypts, some of the areas being well hidden by secret doors.

Seeing as dwarves are deep diggers, you could triple the size of the original adventure maps, turning it into a stronghold capable of a populace the size of a large village or small town. PCs don't often get to adventure in a subterranean living space of this size very often, so it might be worth considering. It also gives you leave to really flesh out not only the area, but the humanoid forces that have taken it over(multiple clans perhaps). You could go with goblinoids, meaning goblins(the servant caste), hobgoblins(the main-line fighters) and bugbears(the elite fighters & rulers). Throw in some ogres and perhaps some trolls(the "muscle"), plus the odd subterranean beasty here and there, rationalize it all well according to where everything is and why it is where it is, and you are set.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:44 am  

Thanks Smillan that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Cebrion, I will look up that adventure and use it as a resource as well.

I appreciate everyones reponse, it was a great help.
    GreySage

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:52 am  

If you can find a copy of Dungeon Magazine #109 its Map of Mystery is titled Dwarven Stronghold and Goblin Den. The stronghold includes mines and forge areas, etc. It may be of interest to you.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am  

Thanks Sir Xaris, I do have that Dungeon as a pdf so I will look at that as well.
    GreySage

Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 pm  

And delete the spammer's post. And all the posts where people talk about the spammer. Including this one.

Any time you see a post where there are a bunch of links to unrelated websites in their sig, and their entire post is just a copypaste of something someone said earlier in the thread, that's a spammer. Don't talk to them.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: