JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dwarves and Suel
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dwarves and Suel
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:15 pm  
    Dwarves and Suel

It occurred to me recently that the Dwarves of the Flanaess have two big reasons to harbor a bitter grudge against the Suloise. I didn't find anything on the topic via the forum search, so I've written up my musings:

First: The Suel corrupted enslaved Dwarves into the Derro. Now, depending on your campaign, this might not be common knowledge even to the Dwarves - but it might.

Second: The Invoked Devastation not only ruined the Baklunish Empire, it also destroyed the realm of the High King of the Dwarves, resulting in his death and the loss of the legendary Axe. Whether the Dwarves were allies of the Baklunish or simply caught in the crossfire, here's another spark for Dwarven hatred of the Suel.

I bring this up because it might result in some great world-specific roleplaying opportunities for adventuring parties - whether intra-party politics or NPC interactions. If the only person who knows the secret location of the lost fortress is a Suloise sage, the party might need to distract the Dwarven cleric so he doesn't go into a righteous killing rage when they consult him. If the party must go to a Dwarven artificer to convert a magic sword into a dragon slaying weapon, they might want to leave the Cruski-born barbarian at home. Intra-party would be the best though, with constant sniping, threats of violence despite alignment similarities, etc.

This also could be used to fill out histories, for example creating a more complex relationship between the Dwarves and the Suloise ruling houses of Keoland - perhaps the Rhola and Neheli opposed the war with Baklune, as well as the derro experiments, and so were accepted by the Prince of Ulek as exempt from vendetta. The Suel in the northeast might not be so lucky, and there could be bitter battles in the mountains, as Dwarves set up ambushes in the passes over the Corusks...maybe in your campaign the Dwarves steal the Seal of Marner, in opposition to Ratik's alliance with the Fruztii. Then the PCs would have to weigh the morals of attacking Good dwarves.

Anyway. Food for thought.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:10 pm  

Great piece Chevalier! I enjoyed this and it made me think about using the political aspects in the future.

Thanks!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: