JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Slave Lord follies
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Slave Lord follies
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 am  
    Slave Lord follies

Running my teens through the Slave Lords and they just got their stuff yanked from them again. I do not think my son will talk to me for a week but that means he is getting into it. Do you remember what your reaction was when the 9 captured your character. I think i was mad at my DM for a week as well.
    GreySage

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:19 am  

Ha! That's why I learned to roll all the dice out in the open for everyone to see, even as a DM. Smile

My players always accused me of cheating (fudging dice rolls) whenever anything unpleasant happened to their characters when we were in High School. Killing one off was impossible to do without the player being extremely angry and accusatory. So, I began to make almost every roll right out in front of them and stopped fudging (yes, I had been frequently Evil Grin ). Shortly, the attitude of my players went from anger and frustration when misfortune happened upon them to laughter and rolled eyes instead, since there was no longer a cloud of suspicion between us.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:58 am  

Colleagues of Oerth,

Aaahhhh, the Lords of Nine! The A series is one of my utmost favorites (see thread entitled Favorite Module/Series and add to it) of all time. I first played against the reavers of the yellow sails in high school (or was it even, MIDDLE school?) with a trio of characters: a half-elven ranger (Dirk), a half-elven bard (Nira), and yes, my namesake elven fighter/mage (Lanathian, nicknamed "Lanthorn"). That seems a LIFETIME ago... I guess now that I am in my late thirties, it is! Wink

My DM (and close friend) captured all three of my characters, but I don't remember having any seething rage about it. I wasn't happy at all, and was very frustrated. Yes, it sucked. Somehow I managed through it. Not sure if he explained to me it was how the module was laid out, or if I was captured "fair and square" or whatnot. At any rate, my characters survived and escaped, but so, too, did the Slavers.

And that is why, YEARS later, I would pit them against my current player, to pass on the pain and misery, and FUN. Evil Grin The SlaveLords became an epic saga unto themselves, not only for my characters, but his as well.

Fond memories, even in the darkest hours below Suderham...

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:57 pm  

Yeah i am sure he was mad slammed the bathroom door before bed but also i left it off just as they got put to sleep by the gas. Next weak they will be glad that a SP Priest of St Cuthbert tagged along at least he can use a club Razz .
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:40 am  

When I played it, either time not having all of your favorite/most useful gear were good things. At that point we were experienced players, so we just rolled with such story driven things, and our characters thrived. We had a blast.

Years later, when I DMd Scourge of the Slave Lords, my somewhat less experienced players rolled with it too, as the entire series was just such a blast. I recommend Scourge of the Slave Lords over the original A series due the the added material which further serve to link the adventures, develops some adventure back story, and further fleshes out the Slavers organization. I even worked the Captain of the Ghost into one of the crews holing up in Nulb when the players went through in the ToEE just before Scourge. The players had the upper hand in that initial exchange, but the Captain got his turn later on. The players ate that bit up. Lots of fun.

Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:09 pm  

Yasir,

Keep us posted on the results of this campaign. I always like a good story, esp. when it pertains to a module series I hold in particular high esteem near and dear to my heart.

-Lanthorn, Survivor of The Lords of Nine
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: