Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Head over to Enworld and put in your two cents!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Head over to Enworld and put in your two cents!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:36 pm  
    Head over to Enworld and put in your two cents!

Interesting topic over at Enworld by the head cheese Morrus, I humbly suggest you post support for favorite Gaming world.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/317065-lets-forget-forgotten-realms.html#post5788974
    Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:29 am  
    Re: Head over to Enworld and put in your two cents!

electryc wrote:
    Interesting topic over at Enworld by the head cheese Morrus, I humbly suggest you post support for favorite Gaming world.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/317065-lets-forget-forgotten-realms.html#post5788974

Nice spot, electryc! Good to see a groundswell of support for GH over there.
    GreySage

Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:26 am  

Wow! That thread is building so quickly I can't catch up. Shocked I've read as far as the third page and the posts are all from earlier this morning. And, there are at least five pages of posts! Whew!

I'll have to come back to it later because I'm off to my own D&D (or, rather, PF) game at 12:30 today and playing is more important that reading about playing. Wink

Thanks for giving us all the heads-up to this ENWorld post, electryc. I came across posts by you, Cebrion, and mortellan already. Good to see Canonfire! represented well on ENWorld. Smile

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:50 am  

No problemo. I don't post much, but it amazes me while I skulk the wealth of knowledge the people have here at Canonfire.
    GreySage

Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:25 pm  

Well, I read all eight pages of comments and it really just turned into a world-bashing thread. But, that's really what morrus began it as, so there is no surprise that it degenerated into one.

I logged in, but it said I was 'not allowed to access that page' when I tried to post my own comment. Don't know why. So, I'll put my comment here.

I love Greyhawk above all other D&D published worlds, but after the nonsense that the official Greyhawk canon has suffered during its stint as the official setting of 3.5e, I really don't want WotC/Hasbro to make Greyhawk the official campaign world of the next edition. All that will do is irritate people when the new writers change something that we don't want changed. I thought the Greyhawk wars were interesting, but I prefer to DM campaigns beginning about 570 CY so that new players I introduce to the World of Greyhawk can experience the old EGG module classics (I convert them to 3.5e).

The best idea I read expressed in the ENworld forum (in my opinion) was for 5E D&D to be setting neutral. The rulebooks should focus on showing DMs how to create their own world. WotC could easily supplement this material with setting specific sourcebooks for each and every official setting they have ever produced (WoG, FR, DS, DL, Mystara, Hollow World, Ravenloft, Planescape, Spelljammer, etc.). That would make them more money and anyone that didn't want to change their setting according to the updated information in the new sourcebooks wouldn't have to do so. If Forgotten Realms really is still their cash cow, they would still be able to cash in on it with the FR sourcebook(s).

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:40 am  

In a word, wow! There are some serious, dedicated fans of the various settings out there.

I find I sit in the camp of keep the rules Setting-Neutral and release books per setting. However, would Greyhawk get supported adequately in that model? At least during the 3.x era there was Living Greyhawk to keep the world ticking over.

It strikes me as very strange that there is such a dearth of Greyhawk material since the relaunch in the Second Ed. period. It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to come up with some interesting ideas on the matter.

I am interested in D&D Next, in the same way I am interested in role playing in general. I spent a fortune on 2nd Edition and then 3.X Edition, bearing in mind the exchange rate here. D&D 5th or Next would need to be something extra special to woo me back.

New Greyhawk material would have a much easier time of it ...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: