JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New Proficiency System
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    New Proficiency System
    Master Greytalker

Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 am  
    New Proficiency System

I have a new proficiency system which I introduced IMC just recently. Really, I just wanted to give the players more proficiencies. I don't really like the point system from the later Player's Option, so I ended up coming up with a system which sort of straddles a middle ground between these and maybe 3rd ed. I think this system works pretty well, and gives them more to "round out" their skills. So far, it's working fine. Here's what I've done:

This is the new system for proficiencies. It is an amalgam of the original proficiency system, the Skills & Powers point system, and the 3rd ed system. Here’s how it’s going to work.

At creation a character gets the specified number of proficiencies, both weapon and non-weapon, according to their class. This is shown on Table 34 of the PH (and reprinted below). These proficiency slots may NOT be interchanged, unless their class or kit expressly demands such. Starting characters also get a bonus number of proficiencies based upon their Prime Requisite, according to table 44 of S&P. Languages other than their native tongues cost 1 proficiency, and players can learn a maximum number of languages according to their INT (as usual). For multi-classed characters, they gain starting proficiencies for BOTH classes. Further, starting elves gain an additional proficiency for every 10 years old beyond 100 at creation. Finally, particular classes and kits may give bonus proficiencies; these do NOT count towards a characters starting number of proficiencies.

Acquiring new proficiency slots will now occur EVERY time a character gains a level. Characters will gain 1 new proficiency slot every level, plus additional slots according to their Ability modifier on table 44, based on their prime requisite stat(s) for that class. For multi-classed characters these points must be spent according to the restrictions of the class which just gained a level. I.E., when a warrior/mage with 18 STR & 16 INT reaches 2nd level warrior (which should occur 500 exp sooner than mage level up) he gains 5 new proficiency slots, 1 for the level-up, and +4 for his 18 STR. These can ONLY be spent as a warrior, so if the player wished to increase Spellcraft anyway, it would cost double (2 slots) as that’s not a warrior skill. When he levels-up as a mage, he gets another 3 slots, 1 for the level-up and +2 for his 16 INT. These must be spent according to mage restrictions.

This system should greatly expand our proficiency system, making it much more versatile. I added up the proficiencies in the PH alone, and there were over 80. When you add the dozen or so proficiencies in every guide handbook, we end up with easily over 150 proficiencies. In the old system, a 10th level Rogue with average INT would only have 9 total proficiencies, while a 20th level wizard with 18 INT would have had 18. NOW that number should improve a bit.

Using proficiencies will be slightly different, and more in line with 3rd ed. Your actual chance of success will be known only to me, as I will choose the Difficulty Class Modifier (DCM). However, for basic uses, success will be on a 10. Add to that the starting modifiers listed under the proficiencies, as well as your bonus (based also on table 44) and finally your ranks in the proficiency. Basically, this is not going to change a lot of skills, for which I simply allow you to use them. Really, a carpenter doesn’t need to roll to succeed when he attempts to build a stair; he just does it! However, when you attempt to tumble in combat through the ogre’s legs, avoiding the attack of opportunity and coming up behind him, you will need to roll to succeed. I really already do this, so it’s not much of a change. What I expect to do with this is two-fold. First, I want to provide you guys with more skills. Second, I want to make their use a bit more systematic. I think this will do both.

Finally, I’m going to add some skills which will become VERY useful in this somewhat expanded proficiency system. This list (and descriptions) will follow in separate posts. These are Concentration (which can allow spell-casters a chance to still cast spells after taking damage or being distracted), Hide, and Spot. Hide and Spot are bonuses given to everyone, and they are the basic chance to simply hide (not like a thief hide in shadows or ranger camo) and the basic chance of spotting hiding beings (and maybe other things as well). Usually, these two will just be opposed rolls, where one guy rolls his hide and the other rolls his spot.

Table 34:
    Starting Proficiency Slots

Group Wpn/N-wpn
    Warrior 4/3
    Wizard 1/4
    Priest 2/4
    Rogue 2/3

Table 44:
    Ability Modifiers to Proficiency Scores based on Prime Requisites
    Ability/ Proficiency Modifier

3 –5
    4 –4
    5 –3
    6 –2
    7 –1
    8–14 0
    15 +1
    16 +2
    17 +3
    18 +4
    19+ +5
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:06 pm  

ragnar,

This is a good solution for players wishing to stay true to the 2e ruleset. I hope more 2e fans jump in on this thread.

Later

Argon
    Master Greytalker

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am  

Thanks. The players were very happy to retroactively put this into practice. It took a bit of work to figure out how many proficiencies they should have and such, but by the time we were done, they were much happier. They have also begun to use many of them, so it's been rather successful.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:15 pm  

Ragnar,

Glad to hear things went well.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: