JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Need a good Module for Level 1-3
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Need a good Module for Level 1-3
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2012 1:32 pm  
    Need a good Module for Level 1-3

Hey there! I'm a new DM (but an old player) starting a new campaign in Greyhawk. I only have a small group, just 3 players (T, Rgr, MU) and I was going to take them through the Temple of Elemental Evil module, but having read through it a couple times I'm worried it may be too overpowering for such a small group. I'm already running a NPC Cleric of Pelor for the group, so I don't want to do too much more of that. Can anyone suggest a good starting module that would take new players up to level 2 or 3 - something located around the Kron Hills area? Thanks!

tl;dr - I need an adventure for noobs near Kron Hills - whacha got?

[EDIT] Knob != Kron - thanks for the catch Cebrion!

Last edited by nerdcav on Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu May 31, 2012 3:13 pm  

Do you mean the Kron Hills? As to T1-4, for such a small group they couldn't even make it out of Hommlet alive unless they pick up a few NPCs from there, and there are some potential concerns even there.

There are not many, if any adventures that really accommodate three first level characters. You will either need to take an adventure, pretty much any adventure, and chop it down, or start out with them really simple. For instance, have them handle some sort of small local problem in Verbobonc. Whatever that would be, you can just make it up (deal with local thugs muscling people, investigate a kidnapping, expose smugglers, etc.), but keep it something small that the PCs could call in the local authorities for support on. That potentially gets them in good with the Verbobonc City Watch, and perhaps gets their names mentioned in certain circles too, which leads us to...

When that is done, and they have gotten enough XP to be 2nd level, you could have somebody in Verbobonc hire the PCs to bring a message to Burne in Hommlet. A few random encounters along the way would have any PC who didn't make 2nd level yet probably get enough XP to level up. Once the message is delivered, Burne might mention in passing that there have been some unsettling things happening lately, such as increased bandit attacks. Were the PCs harassed by bandits on their way to Hommlet? Maybe they were, and maybe they weren't, but that may be enough to have them stick around Hommlet for a bit and have a look about. They would talk to the locals, get some NPC back-up, and then you are one your way to playing T1-4.

(Thread moved to correct forum.)

Thu May 31, 2012 3:37 pm  

Can't think of any mod's that are close, but any module can be fitted in allmost anywhere. It's your adventure and just make it fun for you and your players Happy
    Well, what edtion are you playing?
    1st edtion- B3 Palace of the Silver Princess and T1 The Village of Hommlet
    3.5 edtion- Dungeon Crawl Classics #0 legends are made, not born and #28 Into the Wild.
    Hope that helps.
    GreySage

Thu May 31, 2012 3:43 pm  

My all-time favorite low-level adventure is the Keep on the Borderlands, but In Serarch of the Unknown is another one that would work well. Besides what Cebrion mentioned, you could also have each of your players play two PCs instead of just one. That will allow them to field a solid party of six characters and you don't have to run any NPCs as party members that way.

And, get yourself over to the Welcome to Canonfire forum and introduce yourself properly to the mob here. Wink

SirXaris

Edit: I just remembered that The Lost City, B4, is a good entry-level module that probably wouldn't be too difficult for three 1st level PCs. SX
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2012 6:28 pm  

Thanks for all the great advice!

@Cebrion - yep, meant Kron Hills...whoops. I agree about the small size, but I'm trying to work with what I have. I had intended on giving each player a individual quest that moved them from their respective homes to the main content while providing some xp and a hook to the story that tied with their background stories. I think I'll morph that idea with yours and make their meeting place somewhere along that road instead of in Hommlet as I originally intended. Thanks!

@baronzemo - I'm playing 2E, but allowing any 1E classes or playable races. I'll check out KotBL and see if it fits as a puddle jumper to Hommlet.

@SirXaris - thanks for the advice - I'll head over to the Welcome forum presently!

Last edited by nerdcav on Thu May 31, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Thu May 31, 2012 6:47 pm  

I'll probably get banned for life for making this suggestions... but Puppets takes place in and around that area. It is easy (really easy) and designed for introductory play. Moreover, your characters could be supported by some or all of the pregenerated characters, and the storyline is a throw-away.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu May 31, 2012 10:04 pm  

People torch Puppets all of the time, and yet, run properly by a good DM, it can actually turn out pretty well. With very minor changes, it can even be a rather good beginning adventure. I had a good experience being run through it as a player. Others apparently haven't.

Thu May 31, 2012 11:10 pm  

Yeah, I don't know why Puppets gets bad PR. I think it is a pretty good adventure like Cebrion said a little tweaking and its as right as rain.

These can work as well.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1015

http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1016

Written by me and its only in two parts because of length. Though it is written with rules for 3.5 E you can easily adapt it for 2E.

Hope this helps.

Later Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:35 am  

Great suggestion Tarelton! Puppets does get torched, but really it's quite good in the hands of a capable DM.

Cebrion's spot on, three 1st level characters probably wouldn't last too long in T1 Village of Hommlet without some henchmen. However, Hommlet has all kinds of potential for "pre-campaign" side quests, smaller adventures that can be part of or leading to that module. There's quite a bit of intrigue going on in that little village at the crossroads. Give it a read and check out some of the backgrounds of the more unseemly characters. One thing I did was have my starting group follow a public post calling for assistance with guarding the workers building Burne's tower. It seemed that bandits were hassling supply lines.

Also, and I might get banned for this one Smile , use some of the 1-card adventures from The Living Greyhawk boxed set. There are a few low level adventures that could have their location nudged a few hundred leagues or so into the Kron Hills. They are all pretty much laid out, with little tweaking needed.

Since you have a ranger in your group, the Gnarley Forest is teeming with potential one-offs. Maybe your ranger has a small return favor to fulfill before being let go into the big world to adventure.

Hope that helps.
    Paladin

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:02 am  

Elliva wrote:
    Great suggestion Tarelton! Puppets does get torched, but really it's quite good in the hands of a capable DM.

Since you have a ranger in your group, the Gnarley Forest is teeming with potential one-offs. Maybe your ranger has a small return favor to fulfill before being let go into the big world to adventure.

Hope that helps.

As others have noted "Puppets" isn't that bad with abit of tweaking... just takes a DM!
    In GH from the Ashes -Adventures was a 1-3lvl called Mistmarsh but it is set up just south of Hardby which is abit east of the Kron Hills... though they could start there, work through the Gnarley heading west??
    Though a bit much (level 5 I think it was) A mini adventure called the The Sin Eater based in the Gnarley forest area was always one of my favorite "ranger type" treks. It was in the Back of one of the Greyhawk Adventures books. You could certainly set the stage up to it and T1 from there...
    Also
    I would also add, if you have access, there are several "mini" games of varied levels in the back of Greyhawk Adventures by J Ward
    Lastly, at the time I didn't know that GGG had located the B-1 Insearch of the Unknown module and I had placed it in the Kron hills.... to me it is the BEST starter module for new PCs....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:59 pm  

Thank you all for the great feedback. Finding this site has been like striking gold!
    GreySage

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:10 am  

Nerdcav, firstly, welcome to Canonfire!

As a longtime 2e supporter (player and DM), I have virtually all of the old 1970s and 1980s modules. For your level limitations and the area in which you are playing, I cannot think of a better module than The Village of Hommlet. One of my earliest experiences as a player with three characters involved that module, and though it was tough, we managed through it. However, my DM did provide some NPC assistance. You may need to do the same.

Fortunately, the writers of the module have provided you, the DM, with ready-made NPCs who, under the right conditions, may assist PCs in tackling the moathouse. Jaroo the Druid is one, Elmo the ranger is another, as well as Rufus and Burne nearby. You could even toss in one of the St Cuthbert clerics (Terjon, I think, the lower lvl one). If none of those work, create some NPCs of your own and place them in the Inn of the Welcome Wench and have them ally with your player characters.

Just some suggestions from a person who loves the module and all the adventure hooks it has to offer thereafter...

-Lanthorn, Survivor of T1
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:07 pm  

tarelton wrote:
    I'll probably get banned for life for making this suggestions... but Puppets takes place in and around that area. It is easy (really easy) and designed for introductory play. Moreover, your characters could be supported by some or all of the pregenerated characters, and the storyline is a throw-away.

-Yeah, it's jokey, but like Gargoyle, but the PCs don't have to be let in on that (or you can change it).

I'd recommend turing the PCs from Puppets into NPCs, through in the NPCs who didn't survive, and the new PCs, and give them a chance to fight off the bandits (they'll probbaly do a lot better than the start of the module).

FWIW, I changed the halfling into gnomes, since they're more common in the area, and the PC dwarf comes from the Lortmils, not the Corusks.

BTW, in the long run, Larissa Hunter ends up becoming the Magister (Magistix?) of Dyvers, so the PCs can mkae the acquaintance of a future ruler.

nerdcav wrote:
    ...I had intended on giving each player a individual quest that moved them from their respective homes to the main content while providing some xp and a hook to the story that tied with their background stories...

-Your PCs could do some of their individual back-story, then get hired for the caravan.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:42 pm  

I suggest "Village of Hommlet".

Forget the whole Temple of Elemental Evil follow-on. Just go with the village and the moat house.

I've run campaigns where the PCs were based in Hommlet for months. First they explored the moat house, then went on to other ruins and locales in the surrounding hills. Never made it to the Temple, and it didn't matter. That's not why they were there.

When you run T1 as its own module, it is honestly better than as the doormat for T2-4. It's set in the Kron hills, and is the right level range you're looking for.

Joe / GG
    http://greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.com
    CF Admin

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:57 pm  

Another good possibility is the monastery dungeon in the 1e DMG; this was later converted to 3.0 by Jonathan Tweet in Dungeon # 84.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: