JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Vatun, Telchur and Devils
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Vatun, Telchur and Devils
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:35 am  
    Vatun, Telchur and Devils

I am researching the development of the god Vatun. Uncredited sources in various places now tell us that the devil Belial assisted Telchur in the imprisonment of Vatun. Certainly by the time of the Living Greyhawk Gazateer it was suggested that devils had a hand in it, although Belial was not named. I have looked and looked and looked. Does anyone know where the original reference to Belial having a hand in the imprisonment of Vatun appears?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:49 pm  

Welcome aboard! Happy

http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vatun

See the listed sources for that GHWiki entry. I forget which one mentions the reference. No doubt somebody will come along and peg it down for us. Wink

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:11 pm  
    Re: Vatun, Telchur and Devils

Raphael wrote:
    Certainly by the time of the Living Greyhawk Gazateer it was suggested that devils had a hand in it, although Belial was not named. I have looked and looked and looked. Does anyone know where the original reference to Belial having a hand in the imprisonment of Vatun appears?

Belial is mentioned in the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer's Telchur entry (page 184), which says that Belial is one of Telchur's associates. It's not explicit that Belial had a role in Vatun's imprisonment, but given that both Telchur and devils are held responsible it seems likely (I'm not sure what other point there would be to mentioning devils being involved in a capture that Telchur masterminded and then naming a specific devil as Telchur's ally, or why else a chaotic, icy god like Telchur would associate with a fiery devil like Belial). It makes a kind of sense that an icy god like Vatun would be imprisoned in Belial's fiery hell, where he'd be at his weakest.

I believe that's the only source that links Belial with the Telchur-Vatun incident. I think the implication is clear, but your mileage may vary.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:40 pm  

I even changed Telchur's alignment for my campaign to LN, to make his association with Belial more plausible, and to further differentiate him from Vatun. I've got Vatun as the embodiment of the chaos of winter: the howling storm, the wind-carved snowdrift, and so on. Telchur represents the inevitability of cyclical winter, the implacable glacier, the stately stillness of Cold, who even so gives way in his turn to Atroa.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:08 am  

Thanks guys, that helps alot. So basically what you are telling me, is that the GHWiki entry on Vatun merely surmises that Belial was involved based on the mention of Belial being an associate of Telchur in the LGG entry? Makes sense. Perhaps the GHWiki entry should be amended to suggest that Belial's involvement is conjecture, but a reasonable guess nonetheless? I did miss that reference in the Telchur entry. Instead I was poring through countless back issues of Dragon. Doh! Chevalier, I think your amendment of Telchur's alignment makes an abundance of sense.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: