JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - MUST Have DM Items
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    MUST Have DM Items
    Paladin

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:41 am  
    MUST Have DM Items

Based on the thread for father's day gifting I thought it might be handy (and interesting) to have a thread on Must Have Items for a DM
    I credit nerdcav with the starting of what could be an informative thread & Lanthorn for a good concise start list.
    nerdcav wrote:

Anything you veterans would recommend as MUST HAVE items the DM?

Lanthorn wrote:
    I will suggest the following as a sort of "starter" kit for any DM, in any order: Dungeon Master's Guide, Player's Handbook, and the Monstrous Compendium (you need enemies, after all). After that, I would choose Tome of Magic, Combat and Tactics, and Spells and Magic, in case you have the first three. Some of the boxed sets would also be very helpful. From the Ashes is great for accessing information about the priesthoods and is invaluable for that standpoint alone. Probably the best, in my mind, if you had to pick a single boxed set. Otherwise, The City of Greyhawk is wonderful for any settings in that area. I've had great success running plotlines in the Domain wilderness areas in addition to the city itself.
    -Lanthorn

I would add some things that don't have to be a purchase, such as:
    Generate a List of random Names Male & Female.
    Generate a list of random common items to find.
    Generate a list of Book Titles.
    Generate a list of container type items.
    Generate a list of Worthless Items, ie broken weapons, etc.
    All players tend to explore the "mundane" and like the details and having the lists pre-generated makes sure the "finding" doesn't stop the flow of action waiting for the DM to "determine" what the detail is.
    All of these sorts of details and color and flavor to the game and don't cost you anything but a bit of time.
    GreySage

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:06 am  

Yep. Reminds me of the randomly generated contents of giants' bags in Against the Giants. Smile

SirXaris
    Paladin

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:42 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Yep. Reminds me of the randomly generated contents of giants' bags in Against the Giants. Smile
    SirXaris

LOl yea i hear ya. Happy
    I actually was thinkin The 1st edition DMG which had GREAT charts for random generation IMO.
    And it seems fitting that you be the bearer of my 300th post as you, Big C and Argon were the first to greet me. I thank you.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:58 pm  

For 2nd edtion, got to have the Encyclopedia Magica set.
    For 3.5, the Spell and Magic Item Compendium.

Got to toss the players some strange and weird magic item's every now and then. And as far as the Spell Compendium, the players to DM "WHAT kind of crazy spell was THAT!?!?!?" Evil Laughing
    GreySage

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:05 pm  

DLG, you do me great honor with the noteworthy mention. Much obliged, good sir. Smile

Also, a good array of dice is needed, methinks, including d4, d6 (at least four), d8, d10 (two for percentiles), and d20.

It may be also helpful to have templates for character sheets. Some DM's also prefer a screen for referencing while also providing a shield from prying eyes... Happy

Again, much thanks, 2e friend of the vast Lone Star State.

-Lanthorn of the Lush Pacific NW
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 pm  

DLG,

1st edition DMG should be on the top of any DM's list regardless of what edition you play. IMO it is the holy grail of the DM tools. Players handbook and monster compendium is fine. Graph paper, regular paper, pencils, dice, and some good friends to play with.

Everything else is fluff as I created many magical items for my PC's I am not a fan of cookie cutter magical items. Granted some fluff is good but not necessary to run an enjoyable game.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:51 pm  

Argon wrote:
    DLG,

... Graph paper, regular paper, pencils, dice, and some good friends to play with...

...hex paper for outdoor stuff...
    Paladin

Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Argon wrote:
    DLG,

... Graph paper, regular paper, pencils, dice, and some good friends to play with...

...hex paper for outdoor stuff...

Funny you mention this ... although most maps are quadrule, I prefer (and convert) everything to hex now (this is one part I have game changed from my "early years") and it is reasonably simple to convert now than 20 yrs ago. Reason being, I don't have to deal with the "weird" math involved with diagonal movement (3.5 reference here). Further, it makes flanking and backstabbing easier to discern. IMO
    I would also say a good tool is a game calendar and a good log. Doesn't have to be OCD detailed but just to capture fine points...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:

...Funny you mention this ... although most maps are quadrule, I prefer (and convert) everything to hex now...

-I often use hexes for building and underground as well as outdoors; I'll bet a lot here do. But I limited to "outdoors" here to keep it "universal."

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    ...I would also say a good tool is a game calendar and a good log. Doesn't have to be OCD detailed but just to capture fine points...

-If I don't, I regret it. I define OCD. Laughing
    Paladin

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:01 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:

-If I don't, I regret it. I define OCD. Laughing

LOL I hear ya... of course my wife would say I am a worthy OCD rival for you... I have planned Schedules in MS Project for the pool chemicals, outdoor work (ie fertilize and trimming), indoor work, (my war room), just to mention a few. hehe

@ the Masses.
    I think most DMs would agree some sort of white grid surface if you don't have maps already. Erasable is a plus.. ( We just put under clear glass and use Grease pencils and Overhead projector markers).

Post It Notes for passing along to the DM or Player.

A good set of maps (Thanks to Mort, Joe and Anna).

For those that already have the "basics" and want to expand (heheh) I would say props.
    Miniatures (old wargamer here so that comes easy)
    Some Reusable Structure types (section of a wall, or trees & bushes if outdoors)
    Status Markers (ie bodies, wounds, or spell effects)

And one that we all dance around it but EVERY GOOD DM must have is thorough knowledge of the game. Not to say they must Know everything No one does, that is what brings us here to converse.... But I think for a good game, you, as the Dm, MUST know the events for the game about to be played.
    What is what in the rooms, what the "monsters" will say and do.
    What can be found, etc..
    It is a MUST or the game struggles if the DM says "let me look that up".
    CF Admin

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:50 pm  

Stuff you can buy, but probably don't have to:

- your favorite flavor of graph paper (mine's 5, 6 or 8 squares to the inch), or hex paper
    - a good DM log
    - a good DM screen
    - some favorite dice
    - your edition's rulebook(s) of choice

Stuff you can't buy:

- some good-quality inspiration and imagination
    - willing, engaged friends who actively participate in the game
    - one or more players to keep a campaign journal
    - fun times spent together

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 pm  

Well, I'm on my way...

So far I've accumulated:
    Dungeon Master Screen
    Dungeon Master's Guide
    Player's Handbook
    Monstrous Handbook
    Combat and Tactics
    ToEE - T1-4
    Maps, Maps, Maps - Color maps of Greyhawk courtesy of Anna
    A new set of DM only dice - my player dice and dm dice must not mingle...
    Lots of vinyl battlemaps
    Gridded posterboard for quick encounter mapping
    A couple dozen minis for visualizing battle
    The Monster Vault from 4E - my friend who is playing this campaign lent it to me for the monster tiles. They're numerated for easier tracking.
    Lots of sharpies and dry erase markers for mapping
    Some small dry erase boards for tracking initiative - visible to the whole party
    Time, Player and Enemy logging sheets from Dragonsfoot
    NPC name generators for flair
    The Dungeon Master Experience articles by Chris Perkins http://www.wizards.com/dnd/archive.aspx?category=all&subcategory=dmexperience
    Canonfire!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:54 am  

I'm jealous... can I play?!!?!?! Cool

Best of luck!

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 am  

nerdcav wrote:
    So far I've accumulated:
    Combat and Tactics...

-C&T is great. I do D&D3.5, but use C&T, particularly for Citical Hits ( third successful "hit" roll uses the C&T charts) and for the modifiers involving certain types of weapons and armor (the crossbow really comes into its own).

You might also need it to fix that ridiculous 1-4 hit points of damge with light crossbows do in AD&D and AD&D2.

nerdcav wrote:
    ...A new set of DM only dice - my player dice and dm dice must not mingle...

-I will now back away quietly, trying not to attract attention... Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:54 am  

nerdcav wrote:
    So far I've accumulated:
    Combat and Tactics...

-C&T is great. I do D&D3.5, but use C&T, particularly for Citical Hits ( third successful "hit" roll uses the C&T charts) and for the modifiers involving certain types of weapons and armor (the crossbow really comes into its own).

You might also need it to fix that ridiculous 1-4 hit points of damge with light crossbows do in AD&D and AD&D2.

nerdcav wrote:

Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 am  

jamesdglick wrote:

nerdcav wrote:

Well, I don't want them conspiring together - it's a clear issue of conflict of interest... Wink

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:24 pm  

nerdcav wrote:
    jamesdglick wrote:

nerdcav wrote:

Well, I don't want them conspiring together - it's a clear issue of conflict of interest... Wink

-The dice are conspiring against you? Now I am scared! Laughing
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: