JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Literature Characters Converted
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Literature Characters Converted
    Paladin

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 am  
    Literature Characters Converted

Now that I have a Movie thread that has slid into the "bad films" abyss... hehe
    I thought I would further incite the masses with.....
    A Literature Character (or Race) Converted for the Game.
    I'll Start... For inspiration (at the time) and to coax my wife (now Ex) into playing, she was reading this B rated series by CAROLE NELSON DOUGLAS. So I in turn also read them to help her platform a character from them.
    http://www.bikwritr.net/cnd/fan-SwordCirclet.html

The "race" I created from the books by CND were known as Torlocs....
    The Females had a mix of clerical and sorcery abilities while the males were void of magic, but great hulking knight warrior types...
    I restricted them to Lawful Good alignments. Also since there was the Dwarf/ Elf hate dynamic, Orc/ Dwarf, etc.. it, at the time, seemed to me that the humans didn't have a "racial opposition".. until the Torloc... The Torlocs HATE the humans and blame them for their current circumstances of life.

I picked up these elements from the series, and dropped Torlocs into Greyhawk via a gate from their world (which would tie into the story line from the series). It is pretty amusing to see a paladin do a "know alignment", and still feel the hate and anger for just being human. And with exception of humans, their racial tolerances are not effected by past history. So the get along with a broad group of races. Even Goblins and Orcs were taken at face value.

The Females, are small, demure, hiding their faces from the world. yet like most wizard types as they grow in power they become very dangerous. Their abilities are more innate like sorcery but tend toward more clerical in nature. ie> Healing or causing wounds simply with a look.

The Males are very Paladin-esk with out the spell-like attributes at later levels. They do however gain the females abilities at a 4 levels below hers if they have bonded.

I wont delve deeper, but thought it would make for an inspiring thread to see what others have "created" from literature inspiration.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:03 am  

One of these days, I'll probably adapt the Valheru from Feist's Midkemia novels as an epic race.
    Paladin

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 pm  

SC-Tiny wrote:
    One of these days, I'll probably adapt the Valheru from Feist's Midkemia novels as an epic race.

Ah good choice.. I'd be interested in seeing how that played out... And Good seeing you too "Tiny" You've been quiet of late.. thanks for being the first to drum in.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:00 pm  

I'd like to create a version of Patryns, the tattooed runes casters from the Death Gate Cycle.

I also like the idea of Deeper Magic in the Chronicles of Narnia. Yes, there is a fantasy world with magical 'technology', so to speak, but there is also fundamental power that can be accessed by ritual, regardless of skill.

Finally, I used to daydream of a rift in science-fiction - a door between all the parallel universes where Terminators and Predators and Jedi and Paladins and Walkin' Dudes and Hobbits all came pouring out onto the deck of Babylon 5...but then ya'll would give me a hard time for hinting at using Spelljammer

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:56 am  

nerdcav wrote:
    I'd like to create a version of Patryns, the tattooed runes casters from the Death Gate Cycle.

I always like that idea too. There is a monk subclass that makes use of rune magic like that. I don't know where to find it, but I remember a monk NPC in the Shackled City adventure path that used them. Also, Argon's recent articles detail his own take on rune magic.

Long ago, I wanted to make up the race of Deryni(sp?) because an entire race of psions seemed really cool. However, I quickly became disenchanted with psionics (AD&D) in a fantasy world and nixed that idea altogether. I forget the series they were from, but I remember the first book: Camber of Culdi.

Mostly, I've had fun writing up individual NPCs and magic items from literature. For example, JonTom and Clothahump, the talking turtle, from Spellsinger, the 12 swords (Coinspinner, Shieldbreaker, Townsaver, et. al.) from The Book of Swords (and yes, I know they've been done a hundred times), The Ultimate Warrior (yep, I had my PCs meet up with the famed wrestler way back when Cool ), the Martel (wielded by Obmi in the Gord books.

SirXaris
    Paladin

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am  

nerdcav wrote:

Finally, I used to daydream of a rift in science-fiction - a door between all the parallel universes where Terminators and Predators and Jedi and Paladins and Walkin' Dudes and Hobbits all came pouring out onto the deck of Babylon 5..

LOL have had similar thoughts.. but Mixed with Star Trek.. the problem is (as Marvel discovers trying to "blend" Superheros in movies) is giving them all screen time and how do they get along and not become an explosive "soup" that consumes itself?
    nerdcav wrote:

.but then ya'll would give me a hard time for hinting at using Spelljammer

Well I confess... I do use Spelljammer, but not the way it is designed....
    *****SPOILER ALERT*****
    I felt it was a good "map" to "bridge" to the Planes, "other worlds" etc.... And since Tenser did use a moon to hide out on, "gates" and Dimensional Doors seemed more plausible in Greyhawk than spaceships. IMO
    The Moongate in Celene can be one such gate. As Can Edrill be an alternate world to explore.
    Master Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:10 am  

SC-Tiny wrote:

Which ones are those?
    I always like the Serpent War snake-guys. And wasn't there a lizard-race? Or am I confusing that with the snake-guys?
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am  

DLG,

I drawn my inspirations from books on mythology itself and incorporated my version of Trolls into Greyhawk they are not the green-skinned carrot nose type prominent in D&D. More akin to the three billy goats gruff and the appearance resembles those of the shadowrun game.

Here's a link of one of my first submissions to CF on them http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=402.

Oh and Tiny needs to stay in the SC thread he branches out too often. Razz

Sir Xaris, there will be more to come on the rune articles. Also don't fret I'm working on compiling together a few of my old notes and putting together a psychic class that will make you enjoy psionics again.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: