JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Unfamiliar Familiars
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Unfamiliar Familiars
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:54 am  
    Unfamiliar Familiars

What exceptional Familiars have you used in your campaigns? My mage player will be casting his Find Familiar spell soon and I'd love to have some options beyond those listed in the PHB and Complete Wizard.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nerdcav on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
    GreySage

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:49 pm  

Here are a few:

Badger................ +3 Hit Points
    Chameleon.......... +3 Stealth
    Fox..................... +3 Perception
    Frog.................... +3 Jump
    Parrot................. +3 Diplomacy and speaks one language of Wizard's choice
    Skunk................. +3 Intimidate
    Spider................. +3 Craft (choice of one)
    Vulture................ +3 Heal

Of course, there is an almost unlimited number of possible fantastic creatures one could use. Just be sure not to overbalance them. Most are far more powerful than mundane versions of the animals listed above.

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Here are a few:

Parrot................. +3 Diplomacy and speaks one language of Wizard's choice
    Spider................. +3 Craft (choice of one)
    Vulture................ +3 Heal

Those three are really clever.

Well done.
    GreySage

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:00 pm  

I'm glad you like them.

I am disappointed that you weren't more impressed with the skunk, though. Cry I'm going to have to use that for an NPC. That will really annoy my players. Evil Grin

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:17 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I'm glad you like them.

I am disappointed that you weren't more impressed with the skunk, though. Cry I'm going to have to use that for an NPC. That will really annoy my players. Evil Grin

SirXaris

It's not that I wasn't impressed, it's that the 3 others you chose were so offbeat yet solidly stated.

I'm not sure I'm articulating it as well as I'd like but I hope you get the idea.
    GreySage

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:01 am  

Nerdcav,

I will specifically cite 1e and 2e sources in my reply to answer your question.

Firstly, if you use the original (1e) PH, I think there is a rare chance that a wizard can "accidentally" summon special familiar based on that mage's alignment. Examples include imp, brownie, pseudo-dragon, and quasit. Again, the chance to summon such a creature is rare (5% only).

Secondly, as you noted The Complete Handbook of Wizards offered more choices than the original list. Sorry that you didn't like the added creatures. :( You can, of course, add/modify some normal creatures to that list so long as they don't 'violate' the traditional stats of a familiar.

Finally, there was a Dragon Manual issue (I have it buried somewhere) that gave some great practical and biological information on standard familiars that I found highly illuminating and helpful. There was a separate issue that also expanded the use of familiars with some special spells that actually enhanced familiar abilities, but it is a costly process.

For additional 'special' creatures, the only two that I have used were a Fire falcon and a Changecat.

I hope that helped.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:16 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Secondly, as you noted The Complete Handbook of Wizards offered more choices than the original list. Sorry that you didn't like the added creatures.

I guess I didn't pose the question properly. My player's mage is CN, which means if he does roll for an exceptional familiar it's likely to be a quasit - which is evil. Right off that bat, that's going to cause some serious problems with the Paladin. In addition, I feel it would overpower the mage. So, rather than just rule out the exceptional familiars altogether, I was wondering what unique ones you may have used. Are the fire falcon and change cat in a Monster Manual? What edition? Thanks all!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:29 am  

Dragon #86 included variant familiars for every alignment, equivalents to the imps, nalgs, and quasits of the Lower Planes. Chaotic neutral familiars, native to Limbo, were called quarks.

The Pathfinder RPG also includes planar familiars for all nine alignments in their Bestiary 2. The chaotic neutral ones were called voidworm proteans.

Changecats are from Greyhawk Adventures and the 2nd edition Greyhawk Monstrous Compendium Appendix.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:52 am  

rasgon wrote:
    Changecats are from Greyhawk Adventures and the 2nd edition Greyhawk Monstrous Compendium Appendix.

That's awesome rasgon, thank you! I happen to have Greyhawk Adventures, so I'll check that out. I'll have to do some digging to find that Dragon article, but it sounds like a good one. Thanks for having encyclopedian knowledge of these matters!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:01 am  

Nerdcav, don't underestimate the 'basic' abilities of even a 'common' familiar...and beware the potential abuses of an 'exceptional' familiar. If you do permit one, be sure it is treated like an NPC (controlled by YOU) with its own personality and not an automaton minion of the wizard to whom it is linked. It is a TWO WAY relationship! This holds true even of mundane, normal familiars, too.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:53 pm  

Dog +3 to Search attempts
    Boar +3 hit points
    Mule Lessen encumbrance rating to next lowest category
    Undead Skeleton caster has a DR 2 bludgeoning
    Monkey +3 to Climb checks
    Dolphin +3 to Swim checks
    Air elemental, small +2 initiative
    Earth elemental,small +2 natural armor class
    Fire elemental, small - 2 to damage from fire or heat damage
    Water elemental, small Natural buoyancy all Swim checks +5
    Blink Dog caster can teleport, blink, or dimension door with no chance of failure.
    Hell Hound +3 to Survival checks
    Krenshar caster is immune to fear effects
    Otyugh +3 to saves versus disease
    Phantom Fungus +3 to Hide checks
    Brown Bear caster gains +2 to Grapple checks

Some extras I would leave the elemental type for Elementalists only 1st level other wizards and sorcerers must be at least 3rd level.
    Magical creatures are for 10th level or higher casters
    Skeleton 1st level for Necromancers 2nd lvl for Summoners, otherwise must be 3rd lvl or higher.

Animals HD determine lvl so 3HD require a 3rd level caster save summoners who reduce the available level by one for creatures they summon. example 3 HD creature for a summoner would be second lvl.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:03 am  

Those are great ideas, Argon! I can't believe I didn't think of the dog. +3 Search checks is perfect. Happy

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:48 am  

Sir Xaris,

Thanks, I was surprised the dog was never included in the original list. I like to think outside the box as most role-players do. One of the reasons us like minded people discuss topics at length. I might just compile some notes and make a submission of all this.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:17 pm  

Pg 108 of Complete Book of Wizards has a revised list of familiars, and man's best friend is present. :)

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:20 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Pg 108 of Complete Book of Wizards has a revised list of familiars, and man's best friend is present. :)

-Lanthorn

I don't have that one yet. Maybe I'll have to get it. Happy

It is odd that dog was never one of the original choices for a familiar in AD&D 1 (or AD&D 2, IIRC).
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:22 pm  

It's a pretty decent sourceguide, esp. if you run a lot of mages. Spells & Magic is another very useful book too.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:24 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Lanthorn wrote:

-Lanthorn

I don't have that one yet. Maybe I'll have to get it. Happy

It is odd that dog was never one of the original choices for a familiar in AD&D 1 (or AD&D 2, IIRC).

-Is that Complete Book of Mages (D&D 3.5)?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 pm  

Lanthorn nice find,

The 2e complete wizards handbook. I have not open mine in years. Though you are correct it is a good source book, spells and magic does not disappoint either. Players option was the ground work for 3e IMHO. You can see how proficiencies were gearing towards skills back in 2e.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:20 pm  

Thanks, Argon.

Also, for the more nefarious familiars and their foul masters, one should, if possible, access The Complete Guide to Necromancers. It covers both priests and wizards in this vein, including information about their respective minions, familiars too!

-Complete Guide to Lanthorns Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:36 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Lanthorn nice find,

The 2e complete wizards handbook. I have not open mine in years. Though you are correct it is a good source book, spells and magic does not disappoint either. Players option was the ground work for 3e IMHO. You can see how proficiencies were gearing towards skills back in 2e.

Later

Argon

Wizard's Handbook. I had that one. But I still don't ever remember seeing a refernce to a wizard having a dog familiar, which seems a rather obvious and practical choice...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:50 pm  

Complete guide to Lanthorns!

How many pages of questions are there? Laughing
    Or is it a guide with tons of light fixtures? and if so is Daoud's Lanthorn for sale? Razz

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:23 pm  

Laughing You get bonus XP for those jokes, Argon. I bow respectfully, chortling, at your bardic humor.

-Lanthorn the Laughing
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:03 pm  

Lanthorn,

Thanks, I kid around but I really do like your questions. I'm sure there are many people who want to ask the same question but feel funny doing so. Besides if you don't ask the question then it can't be answered. Keep them coming, I will be happy to toss my two coppers worth any day.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:10 pm  

Thanks, man. MUCH obliged. I appreciate your input and all you've done for those of us who are 'new' (some more than others) to Canonfire! Hard to fathom I only started actively posting just last summer! See how far I've come with your tutelage. Wink

-Lanthorn, Friend to Barbarians
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:39 pm  

I know you'll be a Master in no time! Cool

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 pm  

To get back on topic (I don't want to get the Purple Lightning treatment Shocked but I do appreciate the goodwill!), here are some references to the articles I mentioned MUCH earlier:

Dragon Magazine (not sure which issue) of July, 1989: "Getting Familiar" article that discusses the following animals: cats, crows, hawks, owls, weasels/ferrets, and toads. It also goes into the summoning attempts and some other basic information about familiar options.

The Dragon Magazine May, 1992 issue: "That's Certainly Un-familiar" offers spell enhancement options for familiars, but BOY! are they costly (yet permanent effects).

Happy summoning,

-Lanthorn, Familiar of Argon (I'd hate to think what vile herbs and essences he used to summon me from 'Lurker' status hehehehe) Wink
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 am  

A sea mage in one of our campaigns has an octopus familiar.

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 am  

Very interesting, but I can only imagine it gets tricky trying to manage its movements. I guess the octopus sticks to the hull? Or does the mage have some type of 'tank' for it? Neat idea. Those animals are quite crafty and inquisitive.

A shipmage out of Hardby I ran as an NPC had a sea gull. Noisy, annoying, but overall the best damned scout over open water and the coastline...

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:54 pm  

Octopus +2 to grapple and swim checks

Octopus is fine at sea. I'm sure the mage has to be inventive for that type of familiar, unless of coarse its an Aeolius campaign.

Later

Argon
    CF Admin

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 pm  

Just to highlight the potentially devious possibilities if the wizard randomly obtains a quasit, nerdcav: the familiar could appear to the wizard in an animal guise, not revealing itself as it works assiduously to corrupt the wizard and his paladin friend!
    GreySage

Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:59 pm  

Although this is indeed a devious idea, but I am quite sure that a good-aligned mage cannot summon either an imp or a quasit (at least not in 1e and 2e). The type of 'exceptional' familiar is based purely on the alignment of the summoning wizard. No conflicts of alignment are allowed as they are both linked in the process of the Find Familiar casting.
    However, there's nothing to say that you couldn't "randomly" have a Polymorphed imp or quasit appear in animal form as a spy or infiltrator for some nefarious nemesis... Evil Grin

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Although this is indeed a devious idea, but I am quite sure that a good-aligned mage cannot summon either an imp or a quasit (at least not in 1e and 2e).

True enough, but Knaak the Prestidigitator is CN - which is one of the alignments that could score a quasit. I just don't want to use the quasit due to the other good aligned characters.

rasgon wrote:
    Dragon #86 included variant familiars for every alignment, equivalents to the imps, nalgs, and quasits of the Lower Planes. Chaotic neutral familiars, native to Limbo, were called quarks.

I got a hold of this issue and read up on the quark - very devious. Like the quasit it can change into other creatures, or even inanimate items. I can imagine this creature being an excellent and very mischievous familiar.

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 pm  

Nerdcav,

One could argue the paladin should not be associating with the CN wizard in the first place. Though I am not one for such debate. The paladin should often be at odds with the wizard character. Just completely different philosophies. Though sometimes a group has a character that works as a go between the party members. Could he not wind up with a pseudodragon ?

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:53 pm  

Quite right about the CN getting a quasit. I missed that memo or my literacy skills have waned... Confused

Argon is right about the paladin at odds with the CN. Read any of the recent paladin threads out there; you started one, and I added another about "Paladins and their Retinues." Check it out if you've not. Also peruse your Complete Book of Paladins if you have it. A holy knight will not suffer a fool or an anarchist, or merely a whimsical person who stands for little to nothing, for long. Trust me. I played a CN swashbuckler NPC in a party with a Heironean paladin PC. Though the role-play aspects were awesome, with great comic relief and some wonderful debates between the two, in the end, Jed (the 'buckler) and Justarius (paladin) parted company, MUCH to the relief of the other.

-Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:54 am  

Argon wrote:
    Could he not wind up with a pseudodragon ?

The character alignment awarded a Pseudodragon would be neutral, neutral good or chaotic good. The chaotic neutral would be a quasit, which is an entirely evil creature. I like the quark, which rasgon pointed out from a Dragon article. It's a creature from Limbo and sufficiently quirky and not nearly as unbalancing as I think the quasit it. All in all, he will most likely end up with a toad or cat, but I like to look around the corners, so to speak.

Argon wrote:
    One could argue the paladin should not be associating with the CN wizard in the first place.

and

Lanthorn wrote:
    A holy knight will not suffer a fool or an anarchist, or merely a whimsical person who stands for little to nothing, for long.

The CN mage is playing the alignment as amoral, not actively anarchistic. As such, he tends to be easily swayed by strong personalities - in this case the Paladin himself. In the last session, Xavian the Paladin quietly entered a tent in a camp full of bandits in order to save a young woman in duress. Knaak the mage witnessed this and entered another prisoner tent, at much personal risk, because he was following Xavian's lead. I'm sure this won't last forever, but for now it's a stable situation.

Finally, is the 2E cost of herbs for the spell component a misprint? It says 1000gp of herbs in 2E, but only 100gp in 1E. That's a big markup!

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:05 am  

Have you predetermined to grant your CN mage an exceptional familiar in advance? If not, perhaps some of this discussion is a totally moot point, as the chance of earning such a critter is fairly remote.

Secondly, if both the paladin and CN mage are role-playing their alignments correctly, you should prepare for an eventual parting of ways. Even if the mage sways to pure N alignment, the paladin won't likely associate with such a person forever. However, it is entirely possible that the paladin will attempt to lead by example and debate the moral implications for justice, goodwill, and the like, and perhaps try to 'convert' the CN/N character to the Light Side (of the Force...). Wink If that proves fruitless, then expect a division sometime in the future.

As for your third query, I think it is a misprint. If not, I agree that the sum is unreasonable. Use your judgment, but I only charge my wizards the 1000 gp, which is no small amount!

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:27 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    As for your third query, I think it is a misprint. If not, I agree that the sum is unreasonable. Use your judgment, but I only charge my wizards the 1000 gp, which is no small amount!

Um... Did you mean '100' there, Lanthorn? Wink

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm  

Embarassed I am a complete mathematical dolt! Confused

I meant to say that I do support the 'markup' of 2e pricing at 1000 gp! After all, barring untimely death, the mage is getting a potentially invaluable ally who confers very useful powers to that character.
    Furthermore, if you have access to the Familiar Enhancing spells from the Dragon Magazine I noted, a wizard can further augment the familiar. Even if you don't, the cost is, over time, well worth it. Just don't use your familiar as a bodyguard (BIG MISTAKE) and the dividends can pay off in the long run.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:47 pm  

Nerdcav,

Or you can say this that the more one spends on the herbs the more likely they are to get an exceptional familiar. Though I don't see why all non-evil caster could not receive a pseudodragon as the creature has a neutral and good alignment base. Quasit only has the chaotic portion in common with the CN character.

Though it could make for an interesting role-play session as the paladin will want to end the quasit and risk injuring his companion wizard by doing so. The quark could work or one of the elemental types I mentioned above could work as well. Though I would think an air elemental is good for a chaotic character.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:15 pm  

The location where the summons occurs, the time of year (seasons), and perhaps even the time of day (or night) should, in my opinion, also alter the chances for certain (normal) familiars over others. Alter the percentages, remove some, add others, perhaps. For instance, one would not find a cold-blooded reptile or amphibian in the midst of winter, but if you went to a swamp, it may enhance your chances to get one.

You could also allow the mage to 'alter the odds' a bit (but not make it a sure thing), by adding 'special' ingredients that would attract a specific animal familiar as well. For instance, catnip to summon a feline, maybe rodent flesh for a bird of prey, or bright and shiny coins for a crow.

Maybe a stack of Marvel comics for a "Nerdcav" familiar (Spider-Man titles might get you a constantly inquiring Lanthorn pest!). Happy

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 pm  

Lanthorn,

I am a big Spidey fan as well. That was and still is my favorite superhero of all time.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:48 am  

Argon wrote:
    Lanthorn,

I am a big Spidey fan as well. That was and still is my favorite superhero of all time.

Later

Argon

Argon, I knew there was a reason why I liked you. Cool This is the start of a beautiful friendship... Happy

(I once collected four or five different Spidey titles 'back in the day' and though I no longer collect, I still LOVE the character...always have, always will!).

-Lanthorn, Wall-crawler Fan (this doesn't mean I serve Lolth!)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: