Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - It came up in this week's Greytalk chat...
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    It came up in this week's Greytalk chat...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 pm  
    It came up in this week's Greytalk chat...

Two classic modules were discussed:

The Isle of Dread and The Keep On The Borderlands

So I ask:

Are there any modules you are currently converting/have converted?

Did you change nothing/some things/everything about it/them?

Why did you change (or not change) certain things?
    GreySage

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:35 pm  

DtG,

I constantly modify and tinker with modules. Rarely, if ever, do I leave things alone. I treat modules like a skeleton to which I must add flesh, depth, and color. As an earlier and more inexperienced DM (many many moons ago) I took them as 'Gospel,' but now I don't. Even my favorite modules (check out that thread...I think there are now two...look on the General Forum) get reworked.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:07 pm  

What system are you using, Lanthorn?

In this forum you've got a few choices. Laughing

I'd love to share notes here or, at worst, bounce home-brewed pdfs via email.

I'll try to find the thread to which you refer but I'm still new so it may take a while. Confused
    GreySage

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:27 pm  

As a die-hard 2e fan, I am in 'enemy' territory here, so I will tread softly... Wink

I'd love to share and discuss stories, modifications, plotlines, whatever floats your proverbial boat. I think that is what Canonfire's! all about, right? Or did I miss that memo? Smile Just pick the right topic for the appropriate forum (the Gen forum may be the best, unless you are specifically discussing rules and mechanics about a particular edition), and post away. I'll chime right on in.

In the meantime, I will try to locate those threads for you, but they are somewhat old. One was posted a few months back, the other was one of my earliest posts from last October, when I stopped (as Argon notes) 'lurking.' I've been a pain in the arse ever since. Happy You can go to the "Search the Forums" tab and that may be able to help you find them.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:58 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    I've been a pain in the arse ever since. Happy

Heh, that's the goal I'm shooting for now. Evil Grin
    GreySage

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:14 pm  

Well, now. It seems Lanthorn is slumming in both the 1st and 3.x edition forums tonight... Razz

I've mentioned many of my alterations to The Keep on the Borderlands in your other threads, Drassus, but I did make a few changes to the Isle of Dread, too. Not many, though, as I haven't run it nearly as many times as I've run adventurers through the Keep.

Mostly, I expanded on some of the smaller encounters such as the pirates on their small isle, more dinosaurs!, more kopru (there can't be just two of them, but the others are for later adventures), ...

Hmm... I'll have to dig through my old stuff and see what all I've forgotten. I know I modelled the pirate leaders on Thulsa Doom's two lieutenants from the original Conan the Barbarian movie.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:21 pm  

[quote="SirXaris"]Well, now. It seems Lanthorn is slumming in both the 1st and 3.x edition forums tonight... Razz

Laughing

Hey, man, I can be baited out of my Plane of Existence with the proper ritual or sacrifice... Evil Grin

Just don't face off against me in the 2e forum where my powers are greatest. Cool

-Lanthorn, Gated by DrussustheGaunt
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm  

Drassus I will be honest I own a few modules and many dungeon magazines. Though I have run very little of what was contained within. I used them mostly for geological information and maybe some ideas. Though I would say 95% of my DMing through out the years has been all me. Heck my failed attempt at getting a regular chat based Bissel game was 100% percent all me.

Much of my inspiration was Mubai and other regions specifically the middle east. I then translated most of it into a d&d game. The campaign had to end because of the time I was available. Most of the players could not meet the time requirements. I have hopes of one day resurrecting it or moving on to the next thing.

Lanthorn good to see you traverse the many forums. You never know what you'll find in some of these threads.

Xaris, you dominated the chat with your Keep on the Borderlands info. I for one just attained a copy of it about a month ago. I am not sure I will ever get a chance to run it. Though I can certainly read the heck out of it.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:28 pm  

I've never run a converted module, but one I'd love to see(and play) converted is 'Castle Amber.'
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 pm  

KierWyldwynd wrote:
    I've never run a converted module, but one I'd love to see (and play) converted is 'Castle Amber.'

I used to own a copy of that; I'll see if I still do.

Sadly, I lost a ton of stuff in a flood so it may have been among the losses. Cry

Related note: Do you recall what levels were appropriate for it?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm  

It was an Expert Level mod I think, so somewhere in the 5-9 range IIRC. Come o gang, any love for Castle Amber?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:43 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    I've mentioned many of my alterations to The Keep on the Borderlands in your other threads, Drassus, but I did make a few changes to the Isle of Dread, too. Not many, though, as I haven't run it nearly as many times as I've run adventurers through the Keep.

Mostly, I expanded on some of the smaller encounters such as the pirates on their small isle, more dinosaurs!, more kopru (there can't be just two of them, but the others are for later adventures), ...

Hmm... I'll have to dig through my old stuff and see what all I've forgotten. I know I modelled the pirate leaders on Thulsa Doom's two lieutenants from the original Conan the Barbarian movie.

SirXaris

Many thanks, Sir Xaris!

I'd love to see what you've done with it.

One thing I did for flavor was have Rory Barbarosa's parrot still alive on the isle.

It took the players a little while to figure out what all the cryptic things it would say meant but it was the stuff of local gamer legends when they did!

We'll have to compare notes on a few modules and see what we get.

Last edited by DrassustheGaunt on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:45 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Drassus I will be honest I own a few modules and many dungeon magazines. Though I have run very little of what was contained within. I used them mostly for geological information and maybe some ideas. Though I would say 95% of my DMing through out the years has been all me. Heck my failed attempt at getting a regular chat based Bissel game was 100% percent all me.

I know exactly what you mean.

For about 20 years of gaming I used solely my own adventures.

Lately, though, I'm returning to the classics I missed to revitalize my imagination.

Last edited by DrassustheGaunt on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:01 pm  

DrassustheGaunt wrote:
    One thing I did for flavor was have Rory Barabarossa's parrot still alive on the isle.

It took the players a little while to figure out what all the cryptic things it would say meant but it was the stuff of local gamer legends when they did!

That is an awesome idea, Drassus! I'll have to use it next time.

when I get my adventure published in Canonfire Chronicles, you'll see that Roray Barbarosa's legend features as a cameo in it. Cool

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:06 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    That is an awesome idea, Drassus! I'll have to use it next time.

when I get my adventure published in Canonfire Chronicles, you'll see that Roray Barbarosa's legend features as a cameo in it. Cool

SirXaris

Many thanks.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that!

Side note - Wow, I really butchered his name! I meant to write "Rory Barbarosa".
    GreySage

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:12 pm  

DrassustheGaunt wrote:
    Side note - Wow, I really butchered his name! I meant to write "Rory Barbarosa".

Lol! That's what I get for not proofreading before I post. "Rory Barbarosa" is correct. I butchered it the first time. Razz

SirXaris
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Lol! That's what I get for not proofreading before I post. "Rory Barbarosa" is correct. I butchered it the first time. Razz

SirXaris

Ha!

Neither of us got it right! Razz

It's cool; I'm chalking it up to the heat of a good conversation. Cool
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:47 pm  

Guys don't worry there is an edit function for your posts. If we start proofreading our posts it would take much longer for us to respond. I still wonder why puppets is seen as a bad adventure? IMHO there are plenty of other modules that are worse then puppets.

Later

Argon
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:50 pm  

Argon wrote:
    I still wonder why puppets is seen as a bad adventure? IMHO there are plenty of other modules that are worse then puppets.

Later

Argon

Hmm, I'm unfamiliar with that particular module.

I'll have to see if I can hunt a copy down; I have a friend that has lots of mods on pdf files.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:27 pm  

I have a copy of Castle Amber for Pathfinder Shocked

Paizo did a conversion of Isles of Dread called Savage Tide, again 3.x easily converted to Pathfinder

GreySage

Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:37 am  

DarkHerald wrote:
    Paizo did a conversion of Isles of Dread called Savage Tide, again 3.x easily converted to Pathfinder

Nice, Rory! Happy

Are you referring to the Savage Tide Adventure Path that was released in Dungeon Magazine installments? If so, though it is an excellent adventure path, largely for the fact that it included so much action on the Isle of Dread, it is not a 3.x conversion of the original module. It is an adventure that takes place several years after the original adventure should have occured in the World of Greyhawk.

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:26 pm  

I'm in the process of converting ToEE to 3.5, to be followed up by Scourge of the Slave Lords and Queen of Spiders. So far the only changes I've made is where a NPC has the assassin class to make it compliant with the 3.5 ruleset.

Shortly after 3.0 was introduced I did conversions of Dungeonland and Land Beyond the Magic Mirror and started converting Isle of the Ape.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:10 pm  

Cyrusalthantas,

Sounds like an ambitious project. Best of luck on the conversions. If you have not seen it already Dark Herald has a campaign I believe he converted to 3.5e involving the TOEE. Check his blog here http://greyhawkadventures576cy.blogspot.com/2012/06/legacy-path-of-heroes-session-017.html

As you can see the blog is really put together well.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:29 pm  

It is quite the undertaking and I've been following Dark Herald's Blog.
    GreySage

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 pm  

Cyrusalthantas wrote:
    Shortly after 3.0 was introduced I did conversions of Dungeonland and Land Beyond the Magic Mirror and started converting Isle of the Ape.

I ran The Isle of the Ape a couple of times in 2nd ed. and always wanted to run it in 3.5e. That is one exceptionally fun module. Smile

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: