ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Full Metal Jousting
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    Full Metal Jousting
    GreySage

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 am  
    Full Metal Jousting

Anyone watch this program last year?

I followed it through the whole season. Interesting...gave me a little more insight into the skills needed for a knight, as well as some of the dangers. I hope the network picks it up again and continues.

I also recall there being another jousting program, but forget the name of it. Had a black knight dude named Charlie Daniels. Also interesting.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:31 pm  
    Re: Full Metal Jousting

Lanthorn wrote:
    Anyone watch this program last year?

I followed it through the whole season. Interesting...gave me a little more insight into the skills needed for a knight, as well as some of the dangers. I hope the network picks it up again and continues.

I also recall there being another jousting program, but forget the name of it. Had a black knight dude named Charlie Daniels. Also interesting.

-Lanthorn

My wife and I watched that show and loved it. I think the highlight was when the one jouster punched his horse and got kicked off the show for it. Definitely lots of inspirational material there.

I think the other jousting show you're thinking of was "Knights of Mayhem" with Charlie Andrews. Unfortunately, I think it was a one-off show on National Geographic channel.

Joe / GG
    http://www.greyhawkgrognard.com
    GreySage

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:32 pm  

Greyhawk Grognard,

Thank you for posting your reply! I was beginning to think that I was the only person to watch this show. Happy

Yeah, FMJ was interesting to me in showing all the training and practice that is needed to perform what seems to be a rather straight-forward feat. In fact, at first jousting may seem basically easy. I don't feel that way now after watching the show.

Did you like their line-up? Who was your least and most favorite jouster, if you recall?

You are on target about "Knights of Mayhem!" That was the name indeed. Did you like that show? Charlie seemed totally consumed, literally sacrificing everything for his title. I was hoping they'd show more of that show, too.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:24 am  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Greyhawk Grognard,

Thank you for posting your reply! I was beginning to think that I was the only person to watch this show. Happy

Yeah, FMJ was interesting to me in showing all the training and practice that is needed to perform what seems to be a rather straight-forward feat. In fact, at first jousting may seem basically easy. I don't feel that way now after watching the show.

Did you like their line-up? Who was your least and most favorite jouster, if you recall?

You are on target about "Knights of Mayhem!" That was the name indeed. Did you like that show? Charlie seemed totally consumed, literally sacrificing everything for his title. I was hoping they'd show more of that show, too.

-Lanthorn

Mike (the guy who was tossed out early and came back as a replacement) was definitely my least favorite; he was a first-class jerk. Although I didn't think he was treated very fairly when he returned on the other team; they never gave him a chance.

I would suppose Matt (the one who lost in the final) was my favorite. Just seemed like an affable guy.

I found the way the theatrical jousters were sort of looked down upon by the others to be very interesting. And the fact that all the ones who did even halfway well were the ones who had experience with horsemanship (either as a theatrical jouster, show rider, etc.) was informative too. Even the bull roper did better just because of his general familiarity with riding.

Apparently there's a push to do a Season 2. I'd definitely watch it.

The Knights of Mayhem seemed a little more like the movie "Knightriders". A very different sort of thing, to my mind. It was okay, but I would have preferred a few more episodes so I could get a better feel for the guys involved.

Joe / GG
    GreySage

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm  

Mike did seem a bit high on himself, perhaps b/c of his military experience. I think he was quickly humbled, however.

It appears that the horsemanship is definitely the foundation skill necessary to be successful at jousting, after which they learn lance techniques. Makes sense.

I would definitely watch a second season of FMJ.

Do you know if there will any more episodes of Knights of Mayhem?

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:19 am  

Far as I know it was just a one-off thing. I'd watch more of it or FMJ.

I'm surprised nobody has come up with a Roman-style gladiatorial combat show in the same vein, frankly.

Joe / GG
    GreySage

Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:58 pm  

True...ever watch 'Deadliest Warrior?'
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:00 am  

Yeah, but that show has a fatal flaw. Because it focuses exclusively on one-on-one combats, it gives a very skewed result. For instance, when the Rajput warrior defeated the Roman centurion, it was ludicrous; by definition a Centurion would have had a hundred guys with him, fighting in close order, that would have mopped the floor with a hundred Rajputis. Plus it seems like some of their match-ups are so removed chronologically that the end result was preordained (like William the Conqueror vs. Joan of Arc; go figure the one with 400 years of additional weapon technology-- including canon-- won!).
    GreySage

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:00 pm  

I agree. It also cannot account for the individual skill of the warrior involved. It is extremely difficult to level that playing field and keep every warrior to the same, approximate fighting skill aptitude and base it entirely on the weapons alone...perhaps I will start a new thread on this.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: