Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dungeoneering?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Dungeoneering?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 am  
    Dungeoneering?

Is there such thing as a dungeoneering proficiency? I know there's a knowledge (dungeoneering) skill check in 3.5E and an actual dungeoneering skill in 4E, but nothing in 2E. One of my players who has also played 4E was interested in taking the proficiency, and it's logical for him as a mage to have studied such topics, but I can't find any "official" material on it in 2E.

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:30 pm  

Try the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, perhaps? Or, is that a 1st edition sourcebook?

SirXaris
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Try the Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, perhaps? Or, is that a 1st edition sourcebook?

SirXaris

I know that's a 1E sourcebook, but I'll dig into it and see if it offers any solutions.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 am  

The following profiencies may come into play for you:

Mountaineering, Underground Survival, Mining, Rope Use, Fungus Identification, Orienteering, Sound Analysis, Slow Respiration, Blind-Fighting...

....and a good dwarf at your side! Happy

These proficiencies are to be found in a mixture of books, including the aforementioned "Dungeoneer's Survival Guide" and the "Options: Skills & Powers" book, as well as your 2e Player's Handbook. The "Complete Book of Dwarves" is also handy. Let me know if you need costs for these, as well as skill ratings.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:13 pm  

Nerdcav,

Dungeoneering was in the Dungeoneers Survival guide and can be easily adapted for 2e usage. Player's option skills and powers or simply a Knowledge (Dungeoneering) proficiency can be made for your 2e campaign my suggestion INT-3 and Survival (Dungeoneering) WIS -3.

I hope this helps you out.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:30 am  

Argon wrote:
    Dungeoneering was in the Dungeoneers Survival guide and can be easily adapted for 2e usage.

I dug around in the DSG for this today but I couldn't find it anywhere.

What I'm doing instead is modifying the 3.5E rules to fit 2E. The proficiency costs 2 slots and is based on Int with no modifiers. When checking to know something about any given creature you take penalties for the HD and the rarity of the creature: -2 for Uncommon, -4 for Rare and -6 for Very Rare. No chance for unique. If the character rolls the DC precisely, they know just 1 fact, over the DC scores 2 facts, a natural 20 gets 1 + 1d3 facts.

I'll give the character the chance to focus his check on a specific area - special attacks, habitat and ecology, special defenses, etc., for an additional penalty. If the first check succeeds, I'll allow subsequent checks for specific information, but once any check fails the character draws a blank and no further info can be gained.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: