JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition
    Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:17 am  
    Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

how much water does a PC drink in a day. Do you more proficient dms keep tabs on water?

like most things i think of them when not gaming. I meant to incorporate water consumption but haven't. At the moathouse it was easy enough to get water from the river outside of the tower. Not so at the ToEE.

If we are striving for some sort of realism water would be MOST important. Can't imagine fighting hard for ten minutes wearing armor and not drinking alot of water.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:46 am  
    Re: Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink

mcneilk wrote:
    how much water does a PC drink in a day. Do you more proficient dms keep tabs on water...

-Yeah, but I'm anal. Laughing

mcneilk wrote:
    how much water does a PC drink in a day...

If we are striving for some sort of realism water would be MOST important. Can't imagine fighting hard for ten minutes wearing armor and not drinking alot of water.

-The AD&D1 Wilderness Survival Guide has the info', which is reasonably realistic. It comes out to 4-9 pints of water a day, depending on the temp' and physical exertion.

EDIT:

I don't have D&D 3.5 Sanstorm, but the reviews were disappointing, and implied that they didn't have much on the weather effects (same on the other end with D&D 3.5 Frostburn). But this might be a good place to see if the reviews were wrong, or if I misunderstood them.

Anyone?

You'll see some things which advocate far more water per day (sometimes as much as 1 gallon per hour), but that's insane. The US military tried that, and they had people dying from drinking too much water.
    GreySage

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:51 pm  

I concur with jamesdglick about which tome to use. The Wilderness Survival Guide is a wonderful treasure trove of information for any DM interested in running 'realistic' adventures in the outdoors. It is one of my highly prized possessions.

Here is the breakdown for water consumption (in pints) based on temperature (modified by the armor worn, mind you!) and activity:

below 50 / 50-70 / 71-90 / above 90

inactive: 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
    light: 6 / 7 / 8 / 10
    moderate: 8 / 9 / 10 / 12
    heavy: 9 / 10 / 12 / 16

elves need only 3/4 this amount
    dwarves, gnomes, and 1/2lings need 2/3 this amount
    food with a high water content count for 1/4 to 1/3 of the daily amount

Don't forget to add modifiers based on the armor used! A warrior wearing mail with over-heat very easily, and uses more water than a thief in leather armor, or your armorless mage.

Again, cannot stress the amazing benefits of this book... Happy

If water is not at hand, hope you have a cleric who can create it!

Also, just b/c water is present doesn't mean it is automatically safe to drink! And seemingly 'pure' water may not be. Microbes can abound in even the clearest water (giardia anyone?). There's also a table in this awesome book on that, along with food requirements, weather generation, you name it!

Here's my recommendation, mcneilk...you know what to ask for Xmas! Happy Your very own copy of the Wilderness Survival Guide!

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:05 pm  

I will concur with Jamesdglick and Lanthorn. The Wilderness Survival Guide was a gem of a 1e rule book. You can find it available on line from as little to 12 to 20 dollars depending on the books condition.

Though one can just assume for non-strenuous activity 64 ounces of water a day is ideal. Though 32 ounces will suffice. If you use fatigue consider using the amount of water character consume effect their fatigue. 8 ounces of water an hour will restore one point of fatigue provided the character has rested or perform non-strenuous activity during that time frame. If still performing strenuous activity require the character to consume at least 8 ounces of water or fatigue at twice the rate.

Later

Argon
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:45 am  

Lanthorn wrote:

...Here is the breakdown for water consumption (in pints) based on temperature (modified by the armor worn, mind you!) and activity:

below 50 / 50-70 / 71-90 / above 90

inactive: 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
    light: 6 / 7 / 8 / 10
    moderate: 8 / 9 / 10 / 12
    heavy: 9 / 10 / 12 / 16

-Not sure why I had 4-9 pints in my head. Oh well.

Lanthorn wrote:

...Also, just b/c water is present doesn't mean it is automatically safe to drink! And seemingly 'pure' water may not be. Microbes can abound in even the clearest water (giardia anyone?)...

-I was going to comment on this:

mcneilk wrote:
    ... At the moathouse it was easy enough to get water from the river outside of the tower...

...but forgot. Drinking out of a rather sluggy looking creek is problematic.

Lanthorn wrote:

...There's also a table in this awesome book on that, along with food requirements, weather generation, you name it!

-I modified the WSG rules to make it 1.5 pounds of grain, 0.25 pounds of meat and 0.25 pounds of fruit/veggie.

Yes. My super powers of OCD allow me to keep track.

While I'm at it, I also keep track of sleep, but with rules that are more D&D 3.5 than WSG, although I modify it WSG style.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:03 pm  

so i reached into the file cabinet and pulled out the wilderness guide. Read this and the dungeoneering. Then do some more prep work on the temple.

The guide is a good book. I will have to note some page #s on my cheat sheet.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:37 pm  

I keep a decent track of food and water in my campaigns and thus keep my player accountable with respect to those necessary requirements. This is also true about spoiled food and drinkable water, as well as shelter in the wilds. I am also an avid record-keeper about weather and temperature, and also use the tables provided in TWSG with regard to hit rolls, movement, heat stroke, etc. To me, suriviving the rigors of the wilderness can be an adventure unto itself!

-Lanthorn, Ranger-friend
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 am  

No, self-respecting dwarf is going to be caught drinking water on the trail! Humpf!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 1st Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: