#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - the Hobbit
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    the Hobbit [ Previous  1, 2]
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:40 pm  

Tolkien's own drawings and paintings of Smaug depict a six-limbed dragon.

Haven't posted much the last year or so - I got this crazy idea to open a used bookshop and that eats a lot of time. Good to see the regulars still around!
    GreySage

Sat May 02, 2015 4:27 pm  

A used book shop, I think that's awesome. Wish I lived near enough to visit it! Cool

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:10 pm  

Okay, I've finally seen the Battle of Five Armies, and my final opinion is, to paraphrase Patton Oswalt, if I actually had a time machine, I would go back to around 2006 or 2007 and kill Peter Jackson with a shovel, to stop him from making the Hobbit movies. That's how I would try to save history.
    GreySage

Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:17 pm  

I recently bought the extended 3-disk boxed set of the 3 Hobbit movies, complete with deleted scenes added back into the films, along with background and behind the scenes footage.

Anyone else?

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:53 pm  

Just curious Lanthorn, is it worth picking up? My wife and I enjoy the movies for entertainment value so I am curious if the extended versions add anything to the story.

I am still sad the movie wasn't closer to the book but, hey, what do you do.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:18 pm  

I may be in the minority here.

B minus For LoTR movies and Hobbit movies, I would say. The films are badly paced. Slow. Too much extended hiking across NZ time. And when the action heats up, Jackson tends to overdo it , with too much emphasis on falling and jumping sequences. He really, really loves falling and jumping. A lot!
    But the films generally look good and all contain some well realized, exciting, moving, or funny scenes.
    His lack of fidelity to the source material tempts me to mark the grade a bit lower, but I am not a purist. Adaptations aren't usually going to be close copies of the literature.
    He cut out parts I thought were very important, making room to insert new characters and scenes that I found less interesting than what he removed.

YMMV
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:19 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    Okay, I've finally seen the Battle of Five Armies, and my final opinion is, to paraphrase Patton Oswalt, if I actually had a time machine, I would go back to around 2006 or 2007 and kill Peter Jackson with a shovel, to stop him from making the Hobbit movies. That's how I would try to save history.

Ah, rates it lower than I do!

Although I did think that one was the weakest of all his Middle Earth movies.

I wanted more beeeeeeeaaaars.
    GreySage

Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:20 pm  

Sheepdog wrote:
    Just curious Lanthorn, is it worth picking up? My wife and I enjoy the movies for entertainment value so I am curious if the extended versions add anything to the story.

I am still sad the movie wasn't closer to the book but, hey, what do you do.

I liked the extra footage, deleted scenes, and the behind the scenes stuff. There was A LOT of deleted stuff from 'Battle of the Five Armies.' I don't regret spending the 60 bucks.

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:49 am  

Thanks Lanthorn. I imagine I will be purchasing it at some point.
    GreySage

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:52 am  

I've really enjoyed watching them.

BTW, it turns out that Smaug was going to start off being the traditional 4-legged dragon with shoulder wings. It was Jackson who, at the last moment, changed the concept design to make him more wyvern-like in anatomy. Alas, this happened after they had already done the first film, and that's why you see a regular clawed hand while Smaug is overrunning Erebor's dwarves. In the later DVD release, the animators digitally replaced that clawed hand with the modified hand-wing we see now.

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Mon May 09, 2016 6:40 am  

Thus Jackson is not one of my favorites. Neutral
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    [ Previous  1, 2]
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: